Oshawa Generals 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I'd think it has a lot to do with it. He's didn't get invited to WJ camp because of perceived defensive strides that need to be made in his game. That would be tenfold in the NHL, where they care about that a lot more than the Hunters do for 2 weeks (Lavoie making the team).

The # of CHL players who don't play WJ, are 20th or lower overall picks and make the NHL at 19 is a very low %.

I think the most likely scenario is he gets a handful of pre-season games, maybe 1/2 NHL games to start the season then gets sent back and plays a top 6 role on the Canada WJ team in December

I won't pretend to be a Nashville Predators fan but looking at their capfriendly, Johansen/Duchene/Forsberg/Turris/Arvidsson/Bonino are all back next year and those are their top 6 forwards and the guys who get all their PP time (as well as Grandlund, but he's a UFA)

The only way Tomasino is making the Preds is if he can step in and contribute right away, he's not someone who you'd put on your 4th line, and I can't see that happening with all the top 6 guys they have coming back. And that's not even including someone like Eeli Tolvanen/Yakov Trenin who I'm sure NSH is hoping takes that step next year

Tomasino #24 pick not getting an invite has a lot to do with #25 pick McMichael having a better 1st half to the season and at least five draft eligibles being invited. I think the only other 2001 born that made the team was #7 pick Cozens.
I won’t be surprised if McMichael sticks in the NHL next season. The way Tomasino has picked up his game of late, I won’t be shocked if he sticks.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Tomasino #24 pick not getting an invite has a lot to do with #25 pick McMichael having a better 1st half to the season and at least five draft eligibles being invited. I think the only other 2001 born that made the team was #7 pick Cozens.
I won’t be surprised if McMichael sticks in the NHL next season. The way Tomasino has picked up his game of late, I won’t be shocked if he sticks.

Pelletier, Newhook, Zary, Holloway, Krebs were all 2001 born forwards who got invited to camp

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
The only way Tomasino is making the Preds is if he can step in and contribute right away, he's not someone who you'd put on your 4th line, and I can't see that happening with all the top 6 guys they have coming back. And that's not even including someone like Eeli Tolvanen/Yakov Trenin who I'm sure NSH is hoping takes that step next year

First off, count me as a guy who hates it when a player goes up to the NHL early. As a fan, I want to be able to “get to see” these guys at this level for as long as possible.

That being said, if playing what so far has been an insignificant role with his team in Arizona is good enough to keep Hayton in the NHL, why not the same type of role for Tomasino next year?

I do think though that if Oshawa is awarded the hosting duties, the odds go up that he’s sent back. He’d play a ton of hockey into late May and that would go a long way in his NHL team wanting him back in Oshawa.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Serron Noel:
3GP - 0G-0A-0pts-7pims. Minus 1

I know it’s early, but as a Ranger fan, should we be concerned? Every other high end forward that we’re moved in deadline deals have scored multiple points by now.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
First off, count me as a guy who hates it when a player goes up to the NHL early. As a fan, I want to be able to “get to see” these guys at this level for as long as possible.

That being said, if playing what so far has been an insignificant role with his team in Arizona is good enough to keep Hayton in the NHL, why not the same type of role for Tomasino next year?

I do think though that if Oshawa is awarded the hosting duties, the odds go up that he’s sent back. He’d play a ton of hockey into late May and that would go a long way in his NHL team wanting him back in Oshawa.

Hayton was a 2 way guy his entire OHL career so playing in a bottom 6 role at the next level is fine for him because his future is as a 2 way centre so a checking/defensive role is still a big strength for him. Tomasino is an offensive dynamo so for him to be playing 4th line with no PP time is wasting his development

Reactions: EvenSteven

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Serron Noel:
3GP - 0G-0A-0pts-7pims. Minus 1

I know it’s early, but as a Ranger fan, should we be concerned? Every other high end forward that we’re moved in deadline deals have scored multiple points by now.

Depends who he's playing with. He needs to play with skill guys who can keep up with him

Whatanathol

Jul 27, 2018
Oshawa
Consistency always the issue with Noel. He will light it up for Kit, hopefully sooner than later. Always liked his game.

Whatanathol

Jul 27, 2018
Oshawa
Fight? any video of the Noel / Spit tilt?

Any time line for #15 return? Although he hasn't put up the desired points, the guy is a great leader and so strong on the PK and even strength.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Fight? any video of the Noel / Spit tilt?

Any time line for #15 return? Although he hasn't put up the desired points, the guy is a great leader and so strong on the PK and even strength.

Last Thursday I was told MacLean "would be back next week" so not sure if that means Friday or what. I feel like he very quietly is over a point per game, even with him having hit about 100 posts/crossbars this season so far

veteranopinion

Feb 16, 2017
Anyone else shocked at the OHL Mid Term NHL Draft Ranking's and the omission of Llyeton Moore? Don't see his name on the list. Shocking, no? He may not be lighting up the POINTS side of things, but this kid is an elite skater in the league, forward or defenceman. His hockey IQ is off the charts as well. Yeah, he's on the smaller size, but at 17, he's only going to "bulk" up the next few yrs. Torey Krug type size I'd compare too and Krug has done just fine in the Show. You would think he will/could be a top 5 defenceman in the OHL the next 2 season's if he puts it all together.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Anyone else shocked at the OHL Mid Term NHL Draft Ranking's and the omission of Llyeton Moore? Don't see his name on the list. Shocking, no? He may not be lighting up the POINTS side of things, but this kid is an elite skater in the league, forward or defenceman. His hockey IQ is off the charts as well. Yeah, he's on the smaller size, but at 17, he's only going to "bulk" up the next few yrs. Torey Krug type size I'd compare too and Krug has done just fine in the Show. You would think he will/could be a top 5 defenceman in the OHL the next 2 season's if he puts it all together.

Yep. I'm at a loss on that one. Most "experts" rankings I see have him 3rd/4th round yet he's not in the top 217 of NA skaters? With how the game is moving to skill and speed and away from "we need you to be 6'7", I don't get that omission

He's already one of the best skating Dmen in the league and has really improved in his own zone, just needs to put on some weight and get his shot better. There are a lot of guys listed on that who's he's already way better than, and his ceiling is way higher

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Problem is there are already 10-15 defensemen his age in this league that are putting it all together better than he is.

What does that have to do with him not being on the list? They listed 217 NA skaters. So they're saying there's about 100 Dmen in NA alone who are "putting it together better than he is". Which is categorically not true

Dylan Robinson @ 138
Ole Bjorgvik-Holm @ 140
Jake Murray @ 155
Luke Profaca @ 185

Those are insane over him

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
Problem is there are already 10-15 defensemen his age in this league that are putting it all together better than he is.
So you’re now a scout in the Oshawa area and watch him play to make that judgment? Please tell us how many times you’ve watched this player

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Youve said that twice lately but I'm pretty sure it never happened. Link?

Went back and found it and actually you're wrong twice in the same post. You start by shitting on Gens fans for talking about the OHL insiders report that there's a 2 part trade for Tomasino and then you say Cam Butler will be a 1st rounder lol.

So to answer your first question, yes, Phil tomasino is a General :nod:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 2.13.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 2.13.13 PM.png
    188.3 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: GensFan

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
What does that have to do with him not being on the list?
I was responding to the "top 5 in the league" comment more than the exclusion from the list. I agree there are a few headscratchers, although I personally like Bjorgvik-Holm's game.

NorthernVoice

Oct 5, 2017
Went back and found it and actually you're wrong twice in the same post. You start by ****ting on Gens fans for talking about the OHL insiders report that there's a 2 part trade for Tomasino and then you say Cam Butler will be a 1st rounder lol.

So to answer your first question, yes, Phil tomasino is a General :nod:
That was in the hot takes thread lol, it was intended to be something unlikely but plausible. Hardly saying it was a high probability or expectation but take things how you will.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
That was in the hot takes thread lol, it was intended to be something unlikely but plausible. Hardly saying it was a high probability or expectation but take things how you will.

Hahahah "I never said that, prove it"

*proves it*

"I didn't actually mean it"

Gotta love NorthernVoice! Don't ever change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad