Oshawa Generals 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Stepien looks like he’ll be a good 3rd liner as well. Good motor and has some speed. 3 breakaways in 3 games, just needs to start capitalizing on them. Him being an ‘01 is big though. Not an OA next year

Reactions: Nerf27

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
Having Harrison in the fold for next year is going to pay dividends for this team. He's really turning into something special.

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
I also cant tell if Kooy is actually good or if hes just able to make the saves we weren't getting from 2 younger goalies. He's definitely confident with playing the puck as was displayed with his assist on Harrison's 2nd goal tonight. Out of all of their defensemen, I didn't expect Chisholm to be the one to get blown by for an easy breakaway. Too much birthday cake before today's game.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I also cant tell if Kooy is actually good or if hes just able to make the saves we weren't getting from 2 younger goalies. He's definitely confident with playing the puck as was displayed with his assist on Harrison's 2nd goal tonight. Out of all of their defensemen, I didn't expect Chisholm to be the one to get blown by for an easy breakaway. Too much birthday cake before today's game.

His glove hand seems to be a strength as well as his playing the puck like you said. I like how he squares up to shooters and is pretty good going side to side. Need to see a lot more of him but a good start, especially considering it was 1st in the West, then Sarnia who's 2nd in the league in goals, then 1st in the East. Tough first weekend and he goes 3-0-0

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
He does look pretty impressive so far in the three games, making some absolutely stellar saves in all three games. He seems to get set and square well, I love how quick he moves but sometimes I feel maybe his issue at times is that he’s a bit antsy and he bites to early, like on the 2nd Robertson goal. His puck playing ability makes a big difference too. Defence looks pretty confident retrieving the puck now it seems. Stepien honestly reminds me a little bit of a RHS Bradley Latour, just the stature and way he plays. Could maybe be a 35-40 point guy next year I think.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
I can’t even remember the last player to be as dominant with the gens than Tomasino has been these past three games, everything he does looks high end. His defensive game and stick are miles better than I thought too. Just such a skilled puck handler and talented skater, makes plays so quick.

Reactions: gensfan2k2

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
wow what a game vs the Pete's and the line of Tullio,Neumann & Tomasino there going to be fun to watch.

tnt.PNG

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
Tomasino makes a big difference to this team.

This team got better again at the deadline.

Tomassino is better than Noel and thats not saying Noel isnt good but Tomasino is on another level.

Kooy is so far looking like a better goalie than Maclean. Better in the sense that the team played with more confidence in front of him

Gross back is a big add on the D.

Maclean and Suni will add another line to this team.

Looking at Peterborough having played three more games than us. If we win those games in hand we are pretty much even with Peterborough.

Looking forward to the second half!

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I can’t even remember the last player to be as dominant with the gens than Tomasino has been these past three games, everything he does looks high end. His defensive game and stick are miles better than I thought too. Just such a skilled puck handler and talented skater, makes plays so quick.

he looks like by far the best player moved at the deadline, and he’s a year younger than most...

The only problem now is if he plays his way into the NHL next year! Lol which I don’t think he will. But he could get a couple nhl games to start next year before getting sent back

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
That, that would be a kick in the coconuts!

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
That, that would be a kicker in the coconuts!

I can't see it happening. He didn't even get invited to WJ camp this year and can't think of many 24th overall or later CHL guys who make the NHL at 19. Getting a game or two up there would be a great experience though. Although the most likely scenario is he plays pre-season games then gets sent back

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I can't see it happening. He didn't even get invited to WJ camp this year and can't think of many 24th overall or later CHL guys who make the NHL at 19. Getting a game or two up there would be a great experience though. Although the most likely scenario is he plays pre-season games then gets sent back

I think Jared McCann was the last one to do that. Taken 24th. Played D+1 in OHL then made the NHL at 19. Not out of realm of possibility, but yeah, unlikely.

Reactions: dirty12

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Robert Thomas Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Travis Konecny Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Robby Fabbri Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

I’m sure there are dozens of other examples

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
All 3 played on the WJ team as 18 year olds. Tomasino didn't even get invited to the tryout camp
What does that have to do with making an NHL team? Is that the main thing NHL teams and coaches use to decide if a player will make their roster full time? I’m sure I can find examples of players that didn’t play on their WJC team

Point being, there is clear precedent that he could. Still unlikely but majority of 1st rounders at least are given a good chance after their draft+1 year

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
What does that have to do with making an NHL team? Is that the main thing NHL teams and coaches use to decide if a player will make their roster full time? I’m sure I can find examples of players that didn’t play on their WJC team

Point being, there is clear precedent that he could. Still unlikely but majority of 1st rounders at least are given a good chance after their draft+1 year

I'd think it has a lot to do with it. He's didn't get invited to WJ camp because of perceived defensive strides that need to be made in his game. That would be tenfold in the NHL, where they care about that a lot more than the Hunters do for 2 weeks (Lavoie making the team).

The # of CHL players who don't play WJ, are 20th or lower overall picks and make the NHL at 19 is a very low %.

I think the most likely scenario is he gets a handful of pre-season games, maybe 1/2 NHL games to start the season then gets sent back and plays a top 6 role on the Canada WJ team in December

I won't pretend to be a Nashville Predators fan but looking at their capfriendly, Johansen/Duchene/Forsberg/Turris/Arvidsson/Bonino are all back next year and those are their top 6 forwards and the guys who get all their PP time (as well as Grandlund, but he's a UFA)

The only way Tomasino is making the Preds is if he can step in and contribute right away, he's not someone who you'd put on your 4th line, and I can't see that happening with all the top 6 guys they have coming back. And that's not even including someone like Eeli Tolvanen/Yakov Trenin who I'm sure NSH is hoping takes that step next year

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
FWIW I was talking to a Preds reporter on twitter and asked if he thinks Tomasino has a legit shot to make the Preds next year or not and he said he thinks it would be best for both parties for him to dominate the oHL one more year and play top 6 for Team Canada. He's not the GM, but there's a connected Preds fan's opinion

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
I know HF isn’t the best place to gauge a prospects potential, but it doesn’t even seem like Preds fans are that hyped for Tomasino.

He could definitely be thrown into their line up next year, but that would be a pretty rare move for David Poile. The last chl player to immediately make a jump for them was Seth Jones, the 4th overall pick. Ryan Ellis, Austin Watson, Jonathan Blum, and Scottie Upshall all played a few more seasons with their respective clubs after being taken in round 1.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Petes 5 Gens 2.. Petes are in a class of there own

That's so strange. Usually you comment after every single game the Gens lose with why they lost. But you forgot to make a post after last night's game. That's such an unusual coincidence!

Chipmunk

Sep 20, 2019
Like everyone else I have been amazed by how good Tomasino has been and how quickly he has fit in with Neumann and Tullio. He looks to be even better than we expected! I have also been very pleased with what I have seen from Stepien. He works his tail off, understands the game, knows what to do and does whatever it takes offensively or defensively to get the job done. Someone's earlier comment equating him to Bradley Latour is an excellent assessment and compliment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad