Oshawa Generals 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TommyV27

Sep 20, 2019
Looking for a flurry of goals tonight...let’s call the Gens to win 7-2, Tullio is due for a gwg.

freedom880

Jan 29, 2017
Painful to watch this game right now. Playing three lines..five defence..that's 14 players...boys are out of gas.. vallatti and brewer are turnover machined..our five starting d have a combined 6 goals on the season.. North Bay who is the worst in the OHL is tied going into the third period..in our barn..need I say more..waiting for the half full folks to come out?lmfao

Reactions: Uncle

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
All you can do is laugh. North Bay gets 3 goals off pool shots. Gens take 3/4 points on the weekend. Should’ve been 0 last night and 2 tonight, so 3/4 is still better than they should’ve gotten

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Ugly.
Time to blow it up.

They should’ve gotten 2/4 points this weekend and got 3/4. Could’ve been a lot worse

top 2 lines dominated tonight. Harrison, Neumann and Noel continue to dominate most of the shifts they take. Noel’s trade value must be extremely high now. Not a ton of high end guys available and Noel has looked so good lately. Now has 11 points in the 8 games since he’s returned from injury and is firmly back to himself

Even for Tomasino or Harley, man I’d have a tough time moving Harrison. He’s looked so good the last 5 games since moving into the top 6

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
Generalsupdates, I don't know what you see in Noel. He does not seem to have 'hockey smarts'. I thought we had a steal when we drafted him but really ...goes in spurts and does not finish well. I would not give a bundle for him. Most of my thoughts are based on tonight's game. Glad I left during the time out!

Whatanathol

Jul 27, 2018
Oshawa
1. Harrison is not a game changer. Similar to the Cliff Pu trade in M Cup year, I see Hunt making bold move to upgrade for next year.

2. #11 is really being exposed and hasn't developed as they thought he might. Not an OA next year IMO.

3. #13 will be missed next year. Was in colt country last night and true to from (5 pt), he brings it every shift.

4. Pitt not ready for the O Show just now. maybe later....

5. #29 needs some seasoning. Will def' not be a part of M cup run next yr. Needs to add some grit or find another speed gear if he is going to stay in the O. He's knows it too.

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
1. Harrison is not a game changer. Similar to the Cliff Pu trade in M Cup year, I see Hunt making bold move to upgrade for next year.

2. #11 is really being exposed and hasn't developed as they thought he might. Not an OA next year IMO.

3. #13 will be missed next year. Was in colt country last night and true to from (5 pt), he brings it every shift.

5. #29 needs some seasoning. Will def' not be a part of M cup run next yr. Needs to add some grit or find another speed gear if he is going to stay in the O. He's knows it too.
There’s no way we trade Harrison when we’re going into a potential mem cup host season. This team won’t survive off of Tullio/McShane/Suni/and whoever would come our way in a Harrison trade. Harrison is already showing better than Pu did in his few games. If anything, our first rounder this coming draft will end up being our trade chip at next seasons deadline. What we need is some bodies coming back in any trade involving Noel.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Generalsupdates, I don't know what you see in Noel. He does not seem to have 'hockey smarts'. I thought we had a steal when we drafted him but really ...goes in spurts and does not finish well. I would not give a bundle for him. Most of my thoughts are based on tonight's game. Glad I left during the time out!

I would agree that he doesn't have hockey smarts. But the skill is undeniable. Wish he'd shot more on 2-on-1s (probably speaking to the hockey smarts again) but when he puts his shoulder down and drives hard to the net, not many in the league that can stop him. And that bomb he let go tonight was a laser. He should use that more

Reactions: Nerf27

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017

Really poor last couple games from Vallati, agreed. On the flip side I thought Lleyton Moore was magnificent in both games. He's got so much Mitch Vande Sompel in his game, I'm really liking him.

On Harrison, what makes you say isn't a game breaker? He already has double the goals and closing in on the point total for Studnicka in his rookie season and there's still half the year left and he's only been in the top 6 for 2 weeks. The 2 primary assists from Harrison tonight were both pretty nice. He has great vision and is a pretty complete 200 foot player for a true 16 year old rookie. I wouldn't move him without assurances that we're getting the bid next year

Reactions: Nerf27

GeneralConversation

Nov 1, 2018
They should’ve gotten 2/4 points this weekend and got 3/4. Could’ve been a lot worse

top 2 lines dominated tonight. Harrison, Neumann and Noel continue to dominate most of the shifts they take. Noel’s trade value must be extremely high now. Not a ton of high end guys available and Noel has looked so good lately. Now has 11 points in the 8 games since he’s returned from injury and is firmly back to himself

Even for Tomasino or Harley, man I’d have a tough time moving Harrison. He’s looked so good the last 5 games since moving into the top 6
Let me clarify some of my comments. If this were a regular year, I’d have no problem with this team. They’re a playoff team with some potential and Hunt is rich in Jr hockey currency (picks). This makes the future bright for many years to come. However, this is no regular year! It’s one thing to possibly go all in next year, and it’s another to declare it by bidding to host. As this team sits, there’s no way the CHL gives them the bid unless they’re the only ones to do so. This team is a 1 round (maybe) team. That’s not good enough. They have 2 weeks to make some moves to show the league they can make a deep run and be a top contender next year. Nobody is making moves yet-not many teams will be buyers-the price of good players for next year is going to be very expensive for the Gens since everyone knows they’ll be buying. It’s about to get interesting, and you certainly can’t play stinky hockey against bottom teams if you’re trying to impress.

Reactions: three dog night

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Let me clarify some of my comments. If this were a regular year, I’d have no problem with this team. They’re a playoff team with some potential and Hunt is rich in Jr hockey currency (picks). This makes the future bright for many years to come. However, this is no regular year! It’s one thing to possibly go all in next year, and it’s another to declare it by bidding to host. As this team sits, there’s no way the CHL gives them the bid unless they’re the only ones to do so. This team is a 1 round (maybe) team. That’s not good enough. They have 2 weeks to make some moves to show the league they can make a deep run and be a top contender next year. Nobody is making moves yet-not many teams will be buyers-the price of good players for next year is going to be very expensive for the Gens since everyone knows they’ll be buying. It’s about to get interesting, and you certainly can’t play stinky hockey against bottom teams if you’re trying to impress.

The bid is a lot more based to the business side than the hockey side. But also the Gens are in as good of a spot or better than the other teams who might be bidding (Barrie, Kingston?) because of all the picks they've accumulated.

When Windsor won the bid for 2017, they finished 5th and lost 4-1 in the 1st round the year before in 2016. And then even in the Mem Cup year they finished 5th again.

GeneralConversation

Nov 1, 2018
The bid is a lot more based to the business side than the hockey side. But also the Gens are in as good of a spot or better than the other teams who might be bidding (Barrie, Kingston?) because of all the picks they've accumulated.

When Windsor won the bid for 2017, they finished 5th and lost 4-1 in the 1st round the year before in 2016. And then even in the Mem Cup year they finished 5th again.

You’re assuming no other teams than those you’ve listed will bid.
That Spitfire team had 7 NHL drafted players before the season began. They had 4 more drafted that year and then added Bracco and Day. There was no reason to believe they’d finish that low. Right or wrong that is the thinking of the CHL. We have 4 Drafted players-one of which we’re pushing to trade (Noel) We have 3 more (Tullio/Suni/Moore) that should be drafted this year. We’re missing a lot of pieces. One of which would be DiPietro in net.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
You’re assuming no other teams than those you’ve listed will bid.
That Spitfire team had 7 NHL drafted players before the season began. They had 4 more drafted that year and then added Bracco and Day. There was no reason to believe they’d finish that low. Right or wrong that is the thinking of the CHL. We have 4 Drafted players-one of which we’re pushing to trade (Noel) We have 3 more (Tullio/Suni/Moore) that should be drafted this year. We’re missing a lot of pieces. One of which would be DiPietro in net.

My point is that the business side is more important to the CHL committee than the hockey side. It's all about money. Any team can make themselves good at the deadline (look at Kingston a couple years ago). Especially when you have as many picks as the Gens. I've said it before but go back and look at the Gens roster going into the 2015 season, it was not pretty. And they have the best season they've ever had and win the Mem Cup. Largely because they added Lindberg, Cirelli, Mermis, Mistetle, McCarron, Pedersen. There's no reason they couldn't go and add that many high end guys again.

And the have one of the best reputations in the whole CHL. Most Memorial Cup championships of any active team and the Gens have been one of the most consistent teams of this decade. They'll finish top 5 again this year, which will make 4 straight seasons and 7 of the last 8 seasons

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Nico Gross out for Switzerland today against Slovakia with an upper body injury. They've already announced he won't play tomorrow either against Finland

GeneralConversation

Nov 1, 2018
My point is that the business side is more important to the CHL committee than the hockey side. It's all about money. Any team can make themselves good at the deadline (look at Kingston a couple years ago). Especially when you have as many picks as the Gens. I've said it before but go back and look at the Gens roster going into the 2015 season, it was not pretty. And they have the best season they've ever had and win the Mem Cup. Largely because they added Lindberg, Cirelli, Mermis, Mistetle, McCarron, Pedersen. There's no reason they couldn't go and add that many high end guys again.

And the have one of the best reputations in the whole CHL. Most Memorial Cup championships of any active team and the Gens have been one of the most consistent teams of this decade. They'll finish top 5 again this year, which will make 4 straight seasons and 7 of the last 8 seasons
I agree it’s about cash. But you can’t have just cash. 2015 was different, again because we’re already all in (for all intents and purposes) To your point anyone can add. And that’s what I’m saying. Blow it up. The next 2 weeks are interesting.

Whatanathol

Jul 27, 2018
Oshawa
The Gross injury is concerning. Will definitely reduce trade value if does not play for Swiss in the tournament. Hunt may decide to keep him on the roster if teams try and low ball because of the injury. He has proven to be durable to date with little to no previous time on the DL if I'm not mistaken.

Hope I'm wrong about rookie forwards #44. He definitely has skill but doesn't seek to possess the speed that Studs had in his rook year.

#29 needs to become more engaged, losing many puck battles, which is odd given his size.

Gagnier and Dawson bring a solid work ethic and have skill.

Suni in the concourse was NOT in any type of sling and said that he is feeling better but that it is still sore (shoulder). Did not ask him about projected return date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad