Oshawa Generals 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Gens take Gross' WJ teammate (and captain) Nando Eggenberger. When I searched his name on twitter, every single tweet was hockey scouts in shock that he wasn't drafted in the NHL draft. He's already said he is looking to go to North America this year so should be an easy sign. A motivated Eggenberger looking for an NHL contract is a great pick by Hunt

#Gens 2018-19 roster as of right now:
F:
McShane-Studnicka-Noel
Antropov-Commisso(OA)-Eggenberger
Tullio-MacLean-Wong
Robinson-Resnick-Hewitson

D:
Ennis-Brassard(OA)
Brewer-Gross
Blacker-Allen(OA)
Rupoli

G:
Keyser
Peccia/Torchia

Not many holes there... Pick up 1 more forward who can score and I'd love that roster

Last edited:

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
I thought Hunt was looking for an impactful scoring forward. This guy is as far removed from that as you could expect. Call me disappointed! De we not have any Euro connections whatsoever? look at what London dug up... again!

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I thought Hunt was looking for an impactful scoring forward. This guy is as far removed from that as you could expect. Call me disappointed! De we not have any Euro connections whatsoever? look at what London dug up... again!

Huh? Eggenberger is an elite sniper. Big body guy who's best asset is his shot. Barely played last year because he was stuck on the 4th line of his Swiss pro team so his numbers arent good. They used him solely on the 4th line as a defensive forward and PK role (which helps the Gens because they're also getting an elite PKer now). Many scouts seemed to think if he came to the CHL a year earlier then he would've been a 2nd/3rd round pick in the NHL draft this week

Reading his scouting reports from all different websites, it sounds like he's got a similar profile to Noel. Big guy who can skate well for a big guy and once he gets going, good luck stopping him. Better shot though

The guy London took sounds like he's going to be really good in the future, but he's an '01. If Hunt hadve taken an '01, that would've been a bad decision. He needed someone who's a '99 who can step in and score right away

Last edited:

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
Generalsupdates...I respect you opinions but #1 why a '99 and #2, regarding your "elite sniper" label, he had 6 goals and 5 assists in 37 games with a -12 in 17-18 . In the WJ... 5 games with 0 points and-9 and in 44 games two seasons ago, he put up 12 goals and 8 assists. Not sniper numbers in my mind. I know numbers are not the end all and be all but...?

Reactions: MoWanchuk1

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Generalsupdates...I respect you opinions but #1 why a '99 and #2, regarding your "elite sniper" label, he had 6 goals and 5 assists in 37 games with a -12 in 17-18 . In the WJ... 5 games with 0 points and-9 and in 44 games two seasons ago, he put up 12 goals and 8 assists. Not sniper numbers in my mind. I know numbers are not the end all and be all but...?

I say a '99 because the Gens are going to be good next year so you need a player who can step right in and produce. Other teams who are a few years away from being really good make more sense for them to take a stud '01 because he will be really good and ready to dominate the OHL in 2-3 years when they're also ready as a team, but the Gens can't wait for their guy to be ready in 2 years.

For sure the numbers don't look great. But got to keep in mind he was a 17 year old playing in the pro mens league and his team didn't let him play. He was on the 4th line all year because they "wanted him to master the defensive game". Which to his credit, scouts say that he became a really good defensive forward and an above average PK guy. They even sent him down to his own age group for one game and he got 3 G and 3 A and they decided he couldn't go back down there because he was too good for that

When Tobias Lindberg was playing in the pro mens league as a teenager he had just 7 goals in 38 games and we all saw how he was able to score in the OHL basically at will

Admittingly, I've never seen Eggenberger play live but every scouting report seems to say the same things and that's that he has an elite shot and uses his body effectively at both ends of the ice. A 2 way power forward type who can score was the Gens biggest need. I'd still like them to get 1 more sniper to round out the roster, but I'm very happy with this pick

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
I defer to you for the time being and I agree they need a Lodnia, a Robertson (Kingston version) a Frost or something of that ilk.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I defer to you for the time being and I agree they need a Lodnia, a Robertson (Kingston version) a Frost or something of that ilk.

Won't be able to get anyone like that until the deadline though. Wonder if Hunt's done for the off-season now or if he makes another move. This roster is already pretty good and I could see him going into the season with this and then re-evaluating after 15 games

The only big thing left this off-season is whether or not Brassard sticks in Vancouver with their AHL team or if he's back

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
I think he will be back. Yeah, those players I named would be trade deadline deals.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I think he will be back. Yeah, those players I named would be trade deadline deals.

I think so too. Especially because he is injured right now so unable to take part in their development camp so it's impossible for him to impress if he isn't playing

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
I just saw Vancouver development camp roster. And Nando Eeggenberger is not on the list. Has there been a change in mind?

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Thanks hopefully not bad

No just a "minor knock"

I don't really get why he was even there in the first place though since Vancouver isn't allowed to sign him because he didn't play in NA last year. So you would've thought they'd invite someone from NA who they could sign if they were impressed. Either way, Eggenberger is going to re-enter the draft next year as an over-ager

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
That didn’t take long. Nice job Roger

I imagine that’ll mostly wrap up the off-season for the Gens. Unless we get a commit from DeBoer or Carlile

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Hypothetical question for Gens fans:

If Brett Murray was to want to come to the OHL for his OA season, would you rather him as an OA or would you rather keep Sean Allen?

Murray was drafted in the 4th round by the Sabres a couple years ago (99th overall) but hasn't seen much success with Penn State (1 goal and 6 assists in 33 games over 2 years) Brett Murray at eliteprospects.com

Big guy though at 6'5, 225. Getting drafted in the 4th round is pretty good, so I'm not sure why he hasn't had more success for Penn State

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Hypothetical question for Gens fans:

If Brett Murray was to want to come to the OHL for his OA season, would you rather him as an OA or would you rather keep Sean Allen?

Murray was drafted in the 4th round by the Sabres a couple years ago (99th overall) but hasn't seen much success with Penn State (1 goal and 6 assists in 33 games over 2 years) Brett Murray at eliteprospects.com

Big guy though at 6'5, 225. Getting drafted in the 4th round is pretty good, so I'm not sure why he hasn't had more success for Penn State
If I understand correctly, players cannot leave U.S. college hockey for the OHL in what would be their O.A. year (the "Mike Van Ryn, Michigan to Sarnia Sting rule").

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
If I understand correctly, players cannot leave U.S. college hockey for the OHL in what would be their O.A. year (the "Mike Van Ryn, Michigan to Sarnia Sting rule").

Not sure of that rule. But was just a hypothetical anyways. If he was gonna come, it would’ve been last year

gensfan63

May 16, 2018
Generals actually challenged that rule and lost back when Burnett was around... Cant remember the kids name, but he did play while the process went on, then couldn't.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Well I guess the Generals will be looking for a new Goaltending coach as
Zac Bierk has joined the NHL's Arizona Coyotes as prospects goaltending coach.
Bierk, 41, a Coyotes' alumnus, is currently working with goalies at the team's development camp. He'll work throughout the season with prospects throughout the Coyotes organization.
This is a full-time position and Bierk has left the Oshawa Generals, where he was goalie coach, and his post as consultant to Hockey Canada's sledge hockey team.
Bierk played 20 of his 47 NHL games with the Phoenix Coyotes before hip injuries brought his career to a premature end in 2004.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Well I guess the Generals will be looking for a new Goaltending coach as
Zac Bierk has joined the NHL's Arizona Coyotes as prospects goaltending coach.
Bierk, 41, a Coyotes' alumnus, is currently working with goalies at the team's development camp. He'll work throughout the season with prospects throughout the Coyotes organization.
This is a full-time position and Bierk has left the Oshawa Generals, where he was goalie coach, and his post as consultant to Hockey Canada's sledge hockey team.
Bierk played 20 of his 47 NHL games with the Phoenix Coyotes before hip injuries brought his career to a premature end in 2004.

Yep, Arizona signed him 8 days ago. He had done a great job recently with Appleby/Brodeur/Keyser

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
Guess it wasn't a coaching job closer to home for Jones that was alluded to earlier after turning the Gens job down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad