Oshawa Generals 2014-15 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longtime Gens fan

Apr 23, 2015
I'm with gensrock. Enjoy the series.

I have the pleasure of watching a number of OHL and before that Ontario Junior A final series. We are watching two very good hockey teams play as an added bonus one of the top players ever to play in the OHL. Where McDavid will ultimately be ranked will be determined in the future but all of us will always be able to say we watch him when.

I don't get all the silly jibes and insults. There should be nothing personal just. Just fans of two teams taking great pleasure in watching them play at the highest level.

I don't know how this series will turn out but I know i will be there on Friday night cheering for the Generals.

Momentum in this series does make a difference but as we have seen on several occasions already it can change in a moment. A big save or goal make the world of difference. Neither team are out of it until the end.

Enjoy the series folks and have fun.

DavelPatsyuk13

Oct 10, 2014
Sault Ste. Marie, ON
That's fine. We will see what happens. Here is another difference: Erie is the best team you have faced. With all do respect the Petes and Niagara weren't too much a feared team. North bay is just a very disciplined defensive team. Erie is either the best or 2nd best team in the league this year. They beat SSM to solidify that. So my point is that on home ice in another critical game for erie I would have a hard time believing they come out flat. They will be even more determined and focused with added confidence after the win

Williams will not be Erie's downfall though. In fact he is the only reason we are here. Could have easily given up 2x the amount of goals against SSM and their high powered offense. Never really "stole" a game in that series because SSM generally scored 3-5 goals but he kept every game close and gave Erie a chance. Last night he played very solid. 2nd and 3rd goals he had no chance on.

He is giving Erie a chance and so if they play responsible defense and can get offense going then they will be in position to win every game
I said it through the last half of the season, if we didn't make the finals goals against would be our demise. We were high scoring but constantly gave up 3+ goals. Pair that with your offence and it's a mess. Williams is probably better than Halverson, but certainly not Appleby. I'll give Erie credit, they played really well, but we killed ourselves more than you killed us.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
I said it through the last half of the season, if we didn't make the finals goals against would be our demise. We were high scoring but constantly gave up 3+ goals. Pair that with your offence and it's a mess. Williams is probably better than Halverson, but certainly not Appleby. I'll give Erie credit, they played really well, but we killed ourselves more than you killed us.

Very true but part of that was Erie executing. Scored goals and that is what it comes down to. Were more disciplined, gave more physical effort, blocked shots, and it seemed the experience of losing last year showed at times. All the intangibles that teams need to win. And they won on the road, SSM did not. If you cant win a game on the road you better go undeafted at home and they could not. Regardless of what the players or coaches said, don't think they really could handle playing down on the road. They never once took the crowd out if it.

Is Williams better than appleby? Obviously not because I Appleby is the best in the league. Williams, with the way he has played lately, is a solid goaltender. He is average yes but at least has been mostly consistent in the playoffs which with Erie's offense gives them a chance. Still waiting for him to have a great game where he steals the show. Think if erie is going to end up coming back to win the series they will need to win a game where Williams comes up big.

Goalhog

Feb 6, 2015
It's a good thing there is only one Game 3 per series. The Generals let three giveaways directly cost them goals. Not a good game at all. Yes, the Otters played well but the Generals were terrible. Could have won the game if not for sloppy play. Devin Williams will be their undoing.

PS-I've never seen so many grotesquely fat people at a hockey game in my life! What the heck do they eat in Erie?!?

Wow, was this last comment really necessary? I have been going to Gens games since the late 70's, at times I just look around at the people in the stands or at them as I walk around the rink in between periods, there are not very many nice looking people, in breeding comes to mind.

A comment like that lacks tact and any sign of intelligence, perhaps you are one of them.

Goalhog

Feb 6, 2015
I was watching DJ's media confernce at the end of game 3 and briefly spoke about some time left on he clock at the end of the 2nd period..can someone explain what happened?
I did no watch the whole game in its enterity, how come the game clock is never shown in the Erie feed? Has this been the norm for their home games in the regular season?
Perhaps some of our American friends can shed some light on it.

Runner26

May 10, 2015
I was watching DJ's media confernce at the end of game 3 and briefly spoke about some time left on he clock at the end of the 2nd period..can someone explain what happened?
I did no watch the whole game in its enterity, how come the game clock is never shown in the Erie feed? Has this been the norm for their home games in the regular season?
Perhaps some of our American friends can shed some light on it.

Oshawa scored a goal off a face off with no time left on the clock. I heard the horn before i saw the puck in the back of the net. No idea whether the puck crossed the line before horn went. It all happened in a blink of an eye and they never showed an overhead reply which would show one way or another. The refs waived the goal off and the Gens didnt appear to argue too strenuously about it.

I didn't see the press conference so i dont know what DJ said or whether his comment was about he thought the goal should have counted or whether he thought more time should have been on the clock when face off occurred or whether he said thats the way things go sometimes.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Oshawa scored a goal off a face off with no time left on the clock. I heard the horn before i saw the puck in the back of the net. No idea whether the puck crossed the line before horn went. It all happened in a blink of an eye and they never showed an overhead reply which would show one way or another. The refs waived the goal off and the Gens didnt appear to argue too strenuously about it.

I didn't see the press conference so i dont know what DJ said or whether his comment was about he thought the goal should have counted or whether he thought more time should have been on the clock when face off occurred or whether he said thats the way things go sometimes.

Knoblauch was asked this very question after game 3 and stated that with 1.5 seconds left on the clock before the draw that the puck didn't cross the line before the horn. They won the draw and I believe made one pass than shot and it went in. Probably was a second after the horn or at least a .5 second. Knoblauch then said it didn't matter because a Generals player was in the crease before the puck went in which I believe is why the original thing was waved off regardless of horn. Don't think it would have counted anyways according to knoblauch because someone was basically on top of Williams

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
I vote for what Living Vicariously said.

If there was a way to "like" the comment, I would have clicked it 1000 times.

I get that there will be trolls who only show up when "their team" is doing well - we all know the ones who fit into that category.

The sad part is, this is two "long time" posters....who keep managing to one up the others obnoxiousness.

Oh well. Thank goodness this will all be over in a couple of weeks.

SH15

May 11, 2012
Toronto, ON
We have a phenomenal OHL Final going on and people feel the need to talk about weight issues and why there is an American team in the OHL?? Really?? W...T...:shakehead

The first goal is huge tonight. If the Gens get it they can really buckle down defensively. Conversely if Erie gets it, the Gens have to have a more offensive mindset with sets the table for the Erie weapons to shred you.

I've been loving this series, can't wait for tonight!!

Runner26

May 10, 2015
weight issue

Maybe some of us are just missing the point.

perhaps the reason for the weight differential being commented upon is because the food at the EIA is good. I can attest to the fact that the concession food at the GMC varies between awful and mediocre.

Then again that should mean that i should be far less fat than i am. When i step on the scale all it says is "OUCH youre crushing me" ....:p::laugh:

Goalhog

Feb 6, 2015

When the reporter asked him the question DJ seemed rather surprised and did not have a comment as he hadn't seen any replays yet. As a matter of fact, he downplayed the question and did not want or come across as using this as an excuse. My only question though is, not once did I see on the screen the time clock as we do in most televised hockey games, it was frustrating trying to determine how much time was on the clock given that the commentators also went to lenghts not to mention it.

sickest flow bro

Jun 3, 2008
Halifax
When the reporter asked him the question DJ seemed rather surprised and did not have a comment as he hadn't seen any replays yet. As a matter of fact, he downplayed the question and did not want or come across as using this as an excuse. My only question though is, not once did I see on the screen the time clock as we do in most televised hockey games, it was frustrating trying to determine how much time was on the clock given that the commentators also went to lenghts not to mention it.

I'm going to try to stream the audio online and hope it's quite close to the game on TV. Used to do it in the day when the leafs were on and it worked great.

Or maybe a stopwatch lol, thought erie had good commentary.

Last edited:

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Folks, enough with the fanbase comments and the personal attacks.

Focus on the games if you want to remain a thread participant.

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
Cassels!!!!!!! Well Jeep, you said they would win game 4 like the always do. I just wish they didn't have to play with my health and blow two 2 goal leads. So pumped for Friday now, the GM centre will be rocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad