Oshawa Generals 2014-15 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner26

May 10, 2015
what does OHL stand for

There is a long history of non Ontario teams in the OHL (and OHA before that).

Plymouth and Saginaw recently and the Montreal Junior Canadiens in the 60s

Both the Q & WHL have had American teams too. I think its fantastic that Junior hockey spreads across the border. It gets more American kids interested in playing Major Junior Hockey which in turn makes the caliber of play better.

darmitage

May 13, 2012

Both the Q & WHL have had American teams too. I think its fantastic that Junior hockey spreads across the border. It gets more American kids interested in playing Major Junior Hockey which in turn makes the caliber of play better.[/QUO

totally wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
If Erie shouldn't be in the OHL because they aren't from Ontario, well I guess they should just remove Acadie-Bathurst, Cape Breton, Charlottetown, Halifax, Moncton, and Saint John from the QMJHL because they aren't from Quebec.

DubCee21

Nov 28, 2013

Both the Q & WHL have had American teams too. I think its fantastic that Junior hockey spreads across the border. It gets more American kids interested in playing Major Junior Hockey which in turn makes the caliber of play better.[/QUO

totally wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im sure the Generals would be exponentially better without their 6 US born players...smh.

Dhockey16

Jun 23, 2011
Erie, Pennsylvania
I don't have to take this one game at a time. I'm a fan. The players probably should though. After Game 1 I told my wife, this is a five game series win for the Generals with Erie winning Game 3. The Generals have stalled in every Game 3 in the playoffs and put up their worst performance of each series during the first game on the road.

I think the comeback at the end of the game is going to boost their confidence. I think the first goal in the next game is vital. The Generals, like most teams, play much better hockey when they aren't forced to press. Pressing too hard last night caused turnovers by both Mistele and Carlisle that resulted in goals for the Otters.

I liked how DJ Smith and Cole Cassels shrugged off the excuses being teed up by the media during the press conference (bad ice, time at the end of the second period, crowd noise, etc.). They basically made no excuses.

The Generals need to come out tomorrow night and play their game. Get lots of pucks on Williams (they had less than 30 shots last night), crowd the net (like they did against Jake Smith) and sharpen Hunter Smith's skates.

After stand out games in Games 1 & 2 Brown and Latour need to rebound. Dakota Mermis, IMHO, is the MVP of the final so far for the Generals.

Not a chance Erie gets taken out in 5. Losing both in Oshawa really set Erie back but the Otters will win one of game 4 or game 5. Not sure what losing game 3 in another series has to do with losing game 3 in this one. Very lazy comparison.

You've got a good point about the fat people in Erie. It's disgusting. People here are more concerned with eating cheap than eating healthy. Not much else to say.

Not sure if a pair of sharpened skates would've helped Smith too much. MacDermid sent the big boy flying.

On a lighter note, sat next to a lone Oshawa fan Monday night. Very nice lady. She commented how surprised she was by the knowledge of the game the Erie fans have. Cheering at the end of a penalty kill, icing the puck on a penalty kill, etc.

Last edited:

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
So how's Mike Reno doing with his weight these days? :D

While we have our abundance of overweight people, we also have MANY that are in shape but don't really follow hockey. Apparently they haven't shown anyone from my row on the tube.

It's horrible to think that Americans would "steal" Canada's game. Darmitage must have been in charge of what anthems should have been sung at the beginning of game 2. ;)

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
This has just been another great series. Gens really dominated game 1 but Erie had a good shot at winning game 2 with all those chances to take the lead. Game 3 it was never really in doubt while I was at the game. Oshawa made it interesting late but the 6 on 4 PP helped them do that. Right now this series is 2-1 Oshawa but could be 2-1 Erie and the way the games have been played nobody should be up 3-0. If Erie wins Wednesday I will pick this series to go to 7

JeepHockey

Mar 19, 2015
Not a chance Erie gets taken out in 5. Losing both in Oshawa really set Erie back but the Otters will win one of game 4 or game 5. Not sure what losing game 3 in another series has to do with losing game 3 in this one. Very lazy comparison.

You've got a good point about the fat people in Erie. It's disgusting. People here are more concerned with eating cheap than eating healthy. Not much else to say.

Not sure if a pair of sharpened skates would've helped Smith too much. MacDermid sent the big boy flying.

On a lighter note, sat next to a lone Oshawa fan Monday night. Very nice lady. She commented how surprised she was by the knowledge of the game the Erie fans have. Cheering at the end of a penalty kill, icing the puck on a penalty kill, etc.

A lazy comparison?!? I don't get it. Four series in a row the Generals have had their worst game and lost Game 3. It's a trend, not a comparison. They played a sloppy and incomplete game last night and have again, done so for four series in a row during their first game on the road.

McDermid's hit on Smith was a nice, clean body check that you rarely see in hockey anymore. I've seen Hunter taken out with similar hits in the past. I am referring to almost every time he either hits or gets hit on the boards. He seems to fall down. Not typical for him at all.

As for saying there's "not a chance" Erie loses in five...kinda silly. Of course there's a chance. There's a also a chance Erie comes back and wins it in six. I am confident that won't happen but, certainly can't say there not a chance. If the Generals draw first blood tomorrow night and win the game I believe they will be hoisting the J. Ross Robertson Cup on Friday night.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
A lazy comparison?!? I don't get it. Four series in a row the Generals have had their worst game and lost Game 3. It's a trend, not a comparison. They played a sloppy and incomplete game last night and have again, done so for four series in a row during their first game on the road.

McDermid's hit on Smith was a nice, clean body check that you rarely see in hockey anymore. I've seen Hunter taken out with similar hits in the past. I am referring to almost every time he either hits or gets hit on the boards. He seems to fall down. Not typical for him at all.

As for saying there's "not a chance" Erie loses in five...kinda silly. Of course there's a chance. There's a also a chance Erie comes back and wins it in six. I am confident that won't happen but, certainly can't say there not a chance. If the Generals draw first blood tomorrow night and win the game I believe they will be hoisting the J. Ross Robertson Cup on Friday night.

Erie has also lost game 1 of 3 of 4 series. And looked terribly sloppy in all. They went on to win 2 of those in rounds 1 and 3. It's a dumb comparison because it's little relevance against this Erie team. Erie played far better which made Oshawa look average. They dictated pace all night it seemed and were throwing and taking the body well. Oshawa is way different when trailing and Erie now can see that. All their sloppy play was a direct result of trailing all game. They were forced to "open it up" offensively which is what Erie wants to make them do

JeepHockey

Mar 19, 2015

Huh?!? Are you talking about the dude from Loverboy?!? You realize he's from BC which is a province on the west coast, right? We are about 2,700 miles from where he's from.

JeepHockey

Mar 19, 2015
Erie has also lost game 1 of 3 of 4 series. And looked terribly sloppy in all. They went on to win 2 of those in rounds 1 and 3. It's a dumb comparison because it's little relevance against this Erie team. Erie played far better which made Oshawa look average. They dictated pace all night it seemed and were throwing and taking the body well. Oshawa is way different when trailing and Erie now can see that. All their sloppy play was a direct result of trailing all game. They were forced to "open it up" offensively which is what Erie wants to make them do

Sigh! OK. You think Oshawa losing Game Three in four straight series is a dumb comparison (again...it's a trend not a comparison). Whatever. Watch tomorrow's game. You will see. I believe this trend will continue and Oshawa will bounce back with a strong performance and a win. I've said it numerous times...Devin Williams will be your downfall.

h10*

Jan 12, 2011
Sigh! OK. You think Oshawa losing Game Three in four straight series is a dumb comparison (again...it's a trend not a comparison). Whatever. Watch tomorrow's game. You will see. I believe this trend will continue and Oshawa will bounce back with a strong performance and a win. I've said it numerous times...Devin Williams will be your downfall.

That's fine. We will see what happens. Here is another difference: Erie is the best team you have faced. With all do respect the Petes and Niagara weren't too much a feared team. North bay is just a very disciplined defensive team. Erie is either the best or 2nd best team in the league this year. They beat SSM to solidify that. So my point is that on home ice in another critical game for erie I would have a hard time believing they come out flat. They will be even more determined and focused with added confidence after the win

Williams will not be Erie's downfall though. In fact he is the only reason we are here. Could have easily given up 2x the amount of goals against SSM and their high powered offense. Never really "stole" a game in that series because SSM generally scored 3-5 goals but he kept every game close and gave Erie a chance. Last night he played very solid. 2nd and 3rd goals he had no chance on.

He is giving Erie a chance and so if they play responsible defense and can get offense going then they will be in position to win every game

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario

While we have our abundance of overweight people, we also have MANY that are in shape but don't really follow hockey. Apparently they haven't shown anyone from my row on the tube.

It's horrible to think that Americans would "steal" Canada's game. Darmitage must have been in charge of what anthems should have been sung at the beginning of game 2. ;)

Not sure the Erie players would agree with your last statement?

Beast Mowed

Apr 18, 2015
Erie, Pa
Huh?!? Are you talking about the dude from Loverboy?!? You realize he's from BC which is a province on the west coast, right? We are about 2,700 miles from where he's from.

I forgot, if you're not from Quebec you're not a real Canadian anyway. :D

Billy Blanks is from Erie (Tae Bo inventor), hardly overweight, but he's about 2700 miles away right now.

Most of my previous post had sarcasm in it as well as my first comment in this one for those who didn't know. Just for informational sake, I have relatives that lived in Oshawa for a few years, they're in Barrie now, no problem whatsoever with our greatest neighbors.

Series got interesting last night, have a great day!

darmitage

May 13, 2012
If Erie shouldn't be in the OHL because they aren't from Ontario, well I guess they should just remove Acadie-Bathurst, Cape Breton, Charlottetown, Halifax, Moncton, and Saint John from the QMJHL because they aren't from Quebec.

your right on target!!!!!!!!do you see any other countries in the NFL, or MLB except for Jays and NBA except for Raptors have you ever noticed that Americans don,t let many outsiders in there sports????Basketball, football and baseball all American sports its just something to think about!!!!agree or disagree Americans rule Gary Bettman wouldn,t put a team in Canada from Phoenix but that's all different!

DubCee21

Nov 28, 2013
your right on target!!!!!!!!do you see any other countries in the NFL, or MLB except for Jays and NBA except for Raptors have you ever noticed that Americans don,t let many outsiders in there sports????Basketball, football and baseball all American sports its just something to think about!!!!agree or disagree Americans rule Gary Bettman wouldn,t put a team in Canada from Phoenix but that's all different!

It is becoming quite obvious that you either are completely ignorant or are just trolling. To suggest that Americans don't let "outsiders" in their sports is ludicrous. Do some research instead of spewing this lazy drivel. One other thing, there may be some imaginary line separating us in the form of a border but we are all technically "American".

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa

Game 3 wasn't their worst game in their North Bay series. That 6-1 beating in game 1 was.

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
It is becoming quite obvious that you either are completely ignorant or are just trolling. To suggest that Americans don't let "outsiders" in their sports is ludicrous. Do some research instead of spewing this lazy drivel. One other thing, there may be some imaginary line separating us in the form of a border but we are all technically "American".

I'm leaning towards to troll side. Especially after he was whining about ticket prices and scalpers, only to then promote a buddy of his selling 1 ticket for $80

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
I'm leaning towards to troll side. Especially after he was whining about ticket prices and scalpers, only to then promote a buddy of his selling 1 ticket for $80

I'm leaning towards idiot side - between him and KnightSpit, I'm having a hard time determining which team to root for in this series....

Last edited:

gensrock

Sep 21, 2008
its sad that we all cant just speak of the actual product/game itself. the first games have been very good hockey in a general sense, enjoyable to watch. the officiating in my opinion has been fair in the game also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad