Orpik's Inevitable Re-sign (Now with 100% Less Nathan Horton)

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I for one have zero problem moving Orpik, regardless of what happens with Nisky.

BUT, here's one consideration: Nisky looks great at RD with Scuds. How will he look at LD with Borts (if Maatta goes) or Martin (if Orpik were moved and he were slotted there)? I have some doubts there.

All I know, is he'll look better than Orpik.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
All I know, is he'll look better than Orpik.

You're not wrong. I'm not sure what the bigger face palm is. His bad step ups, his somehow finding himself in the right corner as a LD against sustained offensive pressure against, or his work with the puck on the controlled breakout against the trap.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
so does Bortuzzo. Hell, so does Niskanen.

You're not wrong. My only concern with Nisky is how he looks at LD, but that's a concern based on projection, unlike my actually watching the wreck that is the Brooks Orpik experience.

Muscles4Malkin

Better 2015-16?
Aug 3, 2007
Turku
Trading Orpik would free almost $4M cap space. That's one thing Shero should really think, I mean Crosby still needs a quality winger IMO. Dupuis fits yes, but he isn't producing enough for my likes, but he would look awesome on 3rd line.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Trading Orpik would free almost $4M cap space. That's one thing Shero should really think, I mean Crosby still needs a quality winger IMO. Dupuis fits yes, but he isn't producing enough for my likes, but he would look awesome on 3rd line.

Yes, Dupuis would look awesome on the third line, but we know it's not going to happen. Why trade for a player that will only be misused? If we're trading for a winger, we need to trade Duper, too. That would be almost $8 in cap space, right?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Getting rid of Orpik does make the most sense, he's not playing well, others are making him superfluous and the cap. Trade him for a winger and get the cap situation under control. Credit to Niskanen for outplaying Orpik, that isn't meant to be backhanded.

Even if the winger isn't in the top 6 this year, Kunitz isn't getting any younger and a replacement needs to start being looked for now. Future planning or Bylsma getting a clue.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

You want a quality winger for Sid. Put together a package with Sutter and Orpik.

Bennett with Malkin and Neal. The new winger with Sid and Kunitz. Or, better still, how about that impact winger with Sid and Beau and then reunite KMN?

You give me two lines like that, and I wouldn't be too concerned about Jokinen as 3C or Nisky as permanent top four.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yes, Dupuis would look awesome on the third line, but we know it's not going to happen. Why trade for a player that will only be misused? If we're trading for a winger, we need to trade Duper, too. That would be almost $8 in cap space, right?

Fine, then put the winger on Geno's line. Not like his LW situation is ideal, even with a fully healthy roster. Then, once DB finally is put out of our misery, a new coach can correct things. ;)

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Fine, then put the winger on Geno's line. Not like his LW situation is ideal, even with a fully healthy roster. Then, once DB finally is put out of our misery, a new coach can correct things. ;)

See, you're being rational here. You've forgotten the rules of Bylsmalogicâ„¢

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You want a quality winger for Sid. Put together a package with Sutter and Orpik.

Bennett with Malkin and Neal. The new winger with Sid and Kunitz. Or, better still, how about that impact winger with Sid and Beau and then reunite KMN?

You give me two lines like that, and I wouldn't be too concerned about Jokinen as 3C or Nisky as permanent top four.

I'm still not sure why you want to move guys like Orpik and Sutter for wing options when you and I have already established that we have more than adequate scoring wing options in-house.

The issue is that we don't play them with Sid. And until that changes, you could trade all our other complementary pieces for Ovechkin, St.Louis, Kane, and Eberle and we'd still have the same problem.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I'd just be happy with Orpik gone for futures. He is doing two bad things right now, he is being bad in every situation, and he's taking ice time from kids who need it to develop. Even without Letang, we have two NHL'ers at WBS.

Ok Ray, your drafted these guys, and now it's working out too well. Take advantage and stack up cap space. We could have a ridiculous amount of space at the deadline and be the only team in the running for some good players, if we make a move soon.

member 51464

Who are the big names at this year's deadline, anyway? I have not even looked ahead.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Who are the big names at this year's deadline, anyway? I have not even looked ahead.

Little early, and maybe not a 'big name', but I've noticed that the Leafs have yet to re-sign Bolland. If the stats guys are right and that team is due to crash and burn, he'd be an interesting option ...

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Does Orpik have a no trade clause or limited trade clause? I agree is is no longer a resigning issue but moving him west. The Pens with Letang, Scuds, Martin, Nisky, Matta, Bortz, Engeland is good enough if the Pens can get healthy with Neal and Bennett.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Does Orpik have a no trade clause or limited trade clause? I agree is is no longer a resigning issue but moving him west. The Pens with Letang, Scuds, Martin, Nisky, Matta, Bortz, Engeland is good enough if the Pens can get healthy with Neal and Bennett.

He can list up to 8 teams he won't accept a trade to, per CapGeek.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'd just be happy with Orpik gone for futures. He is doing two bad things right now, he is being bad in every situation, and he's taking ice time from kids who need it to develop. Even without Letang, we have two NHL'ers at WBS.

Ok Ray, your drafted these guys, and now it's working out too well. Take advantage and stack up cap space. We could have a ridiculous amount of space at the deadline and be the only team in the running for some good players, if we make a move soon.

Who are you giving Orpik's 23 minutes a night beside Martin to?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

I can answer that for them, They'll rotate Despres, Maatta and Bortuzzo there, giving Martin the crap job of adjusting to three players tendencies, maybe four.

*PROFIT*

I say upon that move they're 1-7 in the starting stretch of it. Pens don't get out of the first round of later playoffs and all the blame will be funneled Fleury's way while they still grovel over their precious D-prospects getting their time in. Long Summer consumes us all.

:laugh:

Edit: Already one responded like we all knew they would.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Despres/Dumoulin, Maatta and Bortuzzo can take those minutes. None of them need to take all 23. And I expect those minutes will drop when Letang is back too. Scuderi-Letang will play more than Scuderi-Niskanen does.

How many defensemen are we dressing?! :laugh:

See, my problem is that even if you account for Letang coming back, Orpik plays more minutes than we can accommodate by spreading them around. One of Despres/Bortuzzo/Niskanen/Dumoulin/Maatta HAS to be a top 4 defenseman and get the hard minutes (PK, and next to Martin) if we deal Orpik. I don't want to put any of them in that position when none of them even has a full year of bottom pair minutes under their belt.

Especially since Orpik showed his age last year but turned it up for the playoffs. If the young ones show they're stable on the bottom pairing all year, fine, let's let him go in the summer.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'm still not sure why you want to move guys like Orpik and Sutter for wing options when you and I have already established that we have more than adequate scoring wing options in-house.

The issue is that we don't play them with Sid. And until that changes, you could trade all our other complementary pieces for Ovechkin, St.Louis, Kane, and Eberle and we'd still have the same problem.

Adequacy works when you get a lucky draw like 2009. The only good defensive team had Datsyuk hurt, which meant no shutting down Geno.

But, I also remember 2008. I remember how stacking for both Sid and Geno meant beating even the good defensive teams in the playoffs and pretty much dominating en route to the finals (where I'll argue that but for Geno hurt and the rookie cup jitters, the 2008 squad fully healthy beats the 2008 Wings squad even with Datsyuk healthy).

I guess that I'd just rather have the Pens settle for adequacy somewhere other than with Sid and Geno.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Letang: 25:00
Martin: 23:00
Scuderi: 21:00
Niskanen: 20:00
Maatta: 16:00
Bortuzzo: 15:00

Done. Martin gets a rest from current, Scuds stays about the same, Nisky same, Maatta 1.5 mins more, Bort same.

Maatta with PP time, Bort with PK time against 2nd PP's.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

For anyone who wants Maatta to stay or Despres up, this question is precisely WHY it must happen. Otherwise, the excuse and even the need to resign Orpik is there.

By the way, saying it would be a 'crap job' for Martin to adjust to a pair of young defensemen makes me wonder what one would call being Orpik's partner.

But I digress . . . le familia rules

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad