Orpik's Inevitable Re-sign (Now with 100% Less Nathan Horton)

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It's going to happen, people. Let's just hope it's for a Scuderi-esque price and not a raise.

Scuds - Tang
Orpik - Martin
xxxxx - Bort
xxxxx

xxxxx's are whatever kids make the team/aren't traded, and that's the way it'll be for the next few years. How do you think it will work cap-wise (no trading Dupuis, you know that's impossible!)? I can't see Jokinen sticking around no matter how well he plays this year.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Is it? Shelly Anderson asked him if he was talking extension a few weeks ago and he made some snide remark in response.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
At some point you would think that Shero drafted all of these defensemen for some reason, other than give them away for nothing like he did last year.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz

Can you like, shutup
Mar 14, 2009
I agree it's probably inevitable. This organization has a wierd fascination with keeping the same group around even when some of those guys aren't any good. Unknown to much of the hockey world, Orpik has been on a steep decline for years. Ideally Shero could take advantage of that and get something back, even if it's just a mid-round pick or a reclamation project. You also get the added benefit of addition by subtraction - Bortuzzo or Niskanen have to be considered upgrades.

In other words, I expect a 4 year deal at $4.75m per.

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
At some point you would think that Shero drafted all of these defensemen for some reason, other than give them away for nothing like he did last year.

Pray do tell, what evidence have you seen thus far that supports this thought? Engelland being benched? On the plus side, I think there is almost no chance Orpik will get a raise, and certainly not a substantial one. At the same salary and a smaller percentage of a rising cap, maybe we can even afford to put him on the third pairing.

Last edited:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If you believe this, then Despres is as good as gone IMO. We have plenty of guys who can fill a bottom pairing role for the foreseeable future.

Not that I disagree. It's just not easy to do with the salary cap and impending raises for the core players. We'd need to fill out our top 9 forwards on the cheap for sure.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
It's going to happen, people. Let's just hope it's for a Scuderi-esque price and not a raise.

Scuds - Tang
Orpik - Martin
xxxxx - Bort
xxxxx

xxxxx's are whatever kids make the team/aren't traded, and that's the way it'll be for the next few years. How do you think it will work cap-wise (no trading Dupuis, you know that's impossible!)? I can't see Jokinen sticking around no matter how well he plays this year.

Actually, I think JJ. does play well this season and prices himself out of here.

On subject: Orpik should be resigned, he's the backbone of the D-side of the puck along with Martin and Scuds with also being it's leader. This would be a mistake to let one of the better tough defenders walk.

You want... Orpik on that D-squad, you need... Orpik on that D-squad.

This should have been made apparent that the young guys were going to be pinched off when Scuds was signed. As long as he wants to be here and he keeps his salary demands in line with that, he'll be here.

You want to free up space on the defense for the young guys, here ya go... Niskanen, Engelland.

Scuds, Letang
Orpik, Martin
Bortuzzo, Maatta

That's two young guys on the squad, also this is Despres probably being moved, and Martin not being resigned after next season opening a spot for another young guy who's ready.

Timing is key, I'd be shocked if Orpik leaves.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I guess it's possible. I wouldn't call it inevitable though. I do think there's a side of Brooks that may finally want to chase the money. He took a discount to stay here and try to win last time. This will likely be his last opportunity to chase the money too given his age.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I guess it's possible. I wouldn't call it inevitable though. I do think there's a side of Brooks that may finally want to chase the money. He took a discount to stay here and try to win last time. This will likely be his last opportunity to chase the money too given his age.

And even if we want to, we can't match any big offer for him. We just can't do it.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
No way he gets an extension. If we wouldn't have have been able to sign Scuds this summer then maybe, but with all these youngsters no chance. And we need the cap space and it just makes too much sense

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Orpik is a veteran (the longest-tenured Penguin actually) and a top 4 defenseman on this team. Shero would re-sign him early if he really wanted to keep him. According to Orpik himself there have been zero negotiations so far. My guess is they'll let him leave next summer without even making an offer. He'll get a last big pay day somewhere else and we get room for our kids. Orpik seems like a guy who will bluntly admit that it's the best for both sides.

Btw I don't see his steep decline over the years. He's always been a brutal hitter and outspoken leader but also always had weak positioning and no offense. His groin troubles cost him some mobility recently but this fall he said he was finally healthy. Once his skating really leaves him he's done but I don't think he's there yet.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Just to let everyone know, Martin is UFA the following season and his 5.0 is even harder to keep. This opens a spot for a puck mover. Martin is much much harder to keep. The fact he was asked if he wanted to leave tells me he's more likely not to be tendered an offer. But that's just me reading a little further out and it gives the youngsters a bit more time.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Martin is hard to read into because its an extra year away. I hope we can keep him but we'll see. He's simply a better player than Orpik though. He's worth a little extra cap maneuvering compared to Orpik.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Hard to picture Martin getting another 5 million/per contract. He may fallback into our price range. Probably more a matter of the term he wants and how many good years the Pens feel he has left in him.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Martin is hard to read into because its an extra year away. I hope we can keep him but we'll see. He's simply a better player than Orpik though. He's worth a little extra cap maneuvering compared to Orpik.

I'd rather pay more to keep Martin. I know that Scuds plays with Letang (or will), but I feel like Letang and Martin are the Pens #1/#2.

And, with the Pens being so LHS-dominated, it's important to have someone like Martin, who has been really good on his off-side.

Scuderi - Letang
Pouliot - Martin
Maatta - Bortuzzo (don't want to break these two up)

I don't have a clue where Despres, Harrington, and Dumoulin fit in.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Hard to picture Martin getting another 5 million/per contract. He may fallback into our price range. Probably more a matter of the term he wants and how many good years the Pens feel he has left in him.

If he has another year like last year he's more likely to get a raise than a paycut.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'd rather pay more to keep Martin. I know that Scuds plays with Letang (or will), but I feel like Letang and Martin are the Pens #1/#2.

And, with the Pens being so LHS-dominated, it's important to have someone like Martin, who has been really good on his off-side.

Scuderi - Letang
Pouliot - Martin
Maatta - Bortuzzo (don't want to break these two up)

Yep. Martin is a perfect anchor for pretty much any of our young guys on the 2nd pairing. He can move the puck well and he can be the defensive guy on the line. He is exactly who I want whichever of our d-men make the jump to top 4 playing with.

I don't have a clue where Despres, Harrington, and Dumoulin fit in.

One of them would be with Martin for a bit before Pouliot sees the NHL with any regularity.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Orpik is a veteran (the longest-tenured Penguin actually) and a top 4 defenseman on this team. Shero would re-sign him early if he really wanted to keep him. According to Orpik himself there have been zero negotiations so far. My guess is they'll let him leave next summer without even making an offer. He'll get a last big pay day somewhere else and we get room for our kids. Orpik seems like a guy who will bluntly admit that it's the best for both sides.

Btw I don't see his steep decline over the years. He's always been a brutal hitter and outspoken leader but also always had weak positioning and no offense. His groin troubles cost him some mobility recently but this fall he said he was finally healthy. Once his skating really leaves him he's done but I don't think he's there yet.

I'd say this has a lot to do with seeing where the young guys are, and really is there anyone who stands out right now? I mean, I don't even see Bortuzzo as his everyday replacement. His replacement would have to eat 20+ minutes of ice time in the top 4.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'd say this has a lot to do with seeing where the young guys are, and really is there anyone who stands out right now? I mean, I don't even see Bortuzzo as his everyday replacement. His replacement would have to eat 20+ minutes of ice time in the top 4.

and as long as Orpik is here, no one will ever get the chance to prove they can do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->