Confirmed with Link: orpik and grubauer to colorado for second round pick

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Thats why I said "unless." I'm not jumping off any bridge, but if the plan is to use the raise in the cap/Orpik's contract/Grubs savings all just to re-sign guys, then I think we screwed up.

has gmbm let us down before? not really. trust him

Reactions: g00n

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
And possibly lose Carlson?

The cap is going up by 4.5m, Carlson was making 4m. That's 8.5 for Carlson without figuring in any of Orpik's cap savings. Everyone in the media saying this was specifically to sign Carlson is either wrong or we're preparing to pay Carlson more than we think (and WAY more than that 8x7.5 rumor).

I still think Carlson will come in around 8m. The Orpik move freed up space to sign Wilson and whichever of the others we plan to keep (probably at least Kempny). And if we're shopping Burakovsky, it alleviates the worry that we'd take less for the cap savings.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Real solid move by BMac. Always making the logical moves. Now they can still have tons of scoring depth by keeping Bura ect and plenty of room for Carlson.

I was reading there's not much separation in talent between somewhere in the 20s and around pick 50. Have a chance to pick up 3 strong prospects now.

Reactions: Koized

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Real solid move by BMac. Always making the logical moves. Now they can still have tons of scoring depth by keeping Bura ect and plenty of room for Carlson.

I was reading there's not much separation in talent between somewhere in the 20s and around pick 50. Have a chance to pick up 3 strong prospects now.

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Solid!

Firstly, it was exactly the right deal to make. Shows clear thinking and the balls to go through with it (oh noes, how will the babes survive on their own).

Secondly, it's very decent value -- maybe sacrifice the very best outcomes (by not waiting further), but eliminate all the bad ones (losing Carlson/Bura/Kempny/having to overpay to get rid of Orpik's contract/etc).

Now the Caps will have some room to play with, and maybe leverage their SC win to attract good cheap talent/be on the lookout for nice deals.

Bottom line -- if you'd tell me a week ago that this deal was on the table, I'd take it and run.

Reactions: Raikkonen

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
third man in

-------------------------------
I can't quote, but Third Man In is having HF access problems that are worse than mine!

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
This is why GMGM blew and GMBM is a god

I loved Orpik but we had to do something to be able to sign Carlson. We do need a new #6 though cause Bowey is hot trash

Reactions: third man in

Slateman

Feb 2, 2016
The cap is going up by 4.5m, Carlson was making 4m. That's 8.5 for Carlson without figuring in any of Orpik's cap savings. Everyone in the media saying this was specifically to sign Carlson is either wrong or we're preparing to pay Carlson more than we think (and WAY more than that 8x7.5 rumor).

I still think Carlson will come in around 8m. The Orpik move freed up space to sign Wilson and whichever of the others we plan to keep (probably at least Kempny). And if we're shopping Burakovsky, it alleviates the worry that we'd take less for the cap savings.
You're forgetting the RFAs that the Caps need to re-sign some of their players and others are due for an increase in salary.

This move enables them to keep Kempny and Wilson, while still having a legit shot at re-signing Carlson

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad