Confirmed with Link: orpik and grubauer to colorado for second round pick

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
So

Grubauer for 2nd round pick + Carlson + Wilson and Kempny + Orpik salary gone + Orpik come back at vet cheap.

Send the GM of the year to GMBM please, right now.

Reactions: RandyHolt

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Grubauer’s 5v5 save percentage and GSAA/60 are at the top of the NHL since 2014. I’d guess he’s going to be a legit starter. I don’t care about his style I care about his results. Hasek’s style was sloppy and unorthodox but he’s probably the best goaltender in NHL history (relative to his era). Tim Thomas was similarly very unorthodox but he managed a very fine career.

It still remains to be seen if Grubauer’s numbers will translate to a starter’s workload but he’s as proven as a backup can be. Not sure why we are considering a 2 game sample against Columbus over his dozens of regular season games where he has been near the top of the NHL. It’d be like looking only at Holtby’s 2017 postseason instead of his career body of work and concluding that he’s bad.

I like the trade from Washington’s POV because of the cap dump and a second round pick. But let’s not pretend Colorado didn’t get a potential very good starting goaltender.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Grubauer’s 5v5 save percentage and GSAA/60 are at the top of the NHL since 2014. I’d guess he’s going to be a legit starter. I don’t care about his style I care about his results. Hasek’s style was sloppy and unorthodox but he’s probably the best goaltender in NHL history (relative to his era). Tim Thomas was similarly very unorthodox but he managed a very fine career.

It still remains to be seen if Grubauer’s numbers will translate to a starter’s workload but he’s as proven as a backup can be. Not sure why we are considering a 2 game sample against Columbus over his dozens of regular season games where he has been near the top of the NHL. It’d be like looking only at Holtby’s 2017 postseason instead of his career body of work and concluding that he’s bad.

I like the trade from Washington’s POV because of the cap dump and a second round pick. But let’s not pretend Colorado didn’t get a potential very good starting goaltender.
I've been rewatching the playoff run and honestly, he wasn't that bad in the 2 CBJ games. He made some strong saves, but the team was sloppy on D. Holtby obviously was godlike when he came in, but I can only think of one goal Gruby let in that I would call soft.

Grudy0

Mar 16, 2011
Maryland
People are forgetting how terrifyingly BAD team defense was in the first two playoff games. It could be stated that the third game wasn't much better but we eked out a win.

That bodes well for Grubauer, if the Avs can manage to play some defense.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
People are forgetting how terrifyingly BAD team defense was in the first two playoff games. It could be stated that the third game wasn't much better but we eked out a win.

That bodes well for Grubauer, if the Avs can manage to play some defense.
I remember multiple times those 1st 2 games with Jerebek in thinking how the BJs were setting up in the crease and not getting harassed.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I remember multiple times those 1st 2 games with Jerebek in thinking how the BJs were setting up in the crease and not getting harassed.

I was too busy getting ready to be mired in depression. The Bus was big and rest assured Djoos didn't really change the crease thing but did help with some smooth breakouts. It was probably more Reirden, or the team rallying behind Holts. I can't be the only one that was overall impressed with Jerabek. I guess BMac will be the ultimate authority on if he was a fit or not, but if Kemp walks it makes him an obvious guy to bring back dirt cheap.

LD Depth chart is suddenly thin.
Orlov
Djoos
Lucas
Siggy

If we sour on Bowey expect Djoos at RD. We will need a vet 7, not a kid.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Wondering if Orpik will retire now. He signs a one day contract with the Capitals and retires as a Capital and then moves in to a coaching position within the organization.

Last edited:

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
That's fair. But do you think Orpik doesn't want to continue playing?
Absolutely, he's a warrior. But I wouldn't be surprised that the likes of Reirden who was with him in Pittsburgh, knows how the players respect him and how he's mentored some of the young ones, sees value in him being on his staff now.

Just a spitball exercise.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Just out of curiosity, why do people think that Orpik would make a great coach?

His chief strengths as a player seem to be professionalism and general toughness. But coaches are generally all fairly professional, heh, and don't routinely need to check other coaches into the boards.

From Orpik's interviews, I don't get the sense that he's some kind of great hockey mind, or communicator, or smth else. I think I might very well appreciate a tough, steady guy like that as a teammate, but to be a really good coach you need a different/additional set of skills, IMO.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Maybe Orpik is tired of getting boarded. There is nothing wrong with walking away from the game. Mentally, physically, on top, however you slice it. But he is a workout warrior and probably quite won't know what to do with himself if he does retire.

Coaching seems a logical step for him, and right now is almost the perfect scenario for him. Not quite the hattrick Carlson just landed, but Orpik got the cup, got paid out monies for not playing, and seems well positioned to start the next phase of his career. If not coaching, he may well end up getting paid more this season than he would have otherwise, and it being the team of his choice.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I was too busy getting ready to be mired in depression. The Bus was big and rest assured Djoos didn't really change the crease thing but did help with some smooth breakouts. It was probably more Reirden, or the team rallying behind Holts. I can't be the only one that was overall impressed with Jerabek. I guess BMac will be the ultimate authority on if he was a fit or not, but if Kemp walks it makes him an obvious guy to bring back dirt cheap.

LD Depth chart is suddenly thin.
Orlov
Djoos
Lucas
Siggy

If we sour on Bowey expect Djoos at RD. We will need a vet 7, not a kid.
You’d think Djoos would be a liability there and that’s why he didn’t start the playoffs but when he was tangling with Perron in the finals who has 30 lb on him, even though it cost them a goal when he bumped Holtby it showed the commitment they had to team defense. Jerabek had the worst on ice save percentage of any Cap in the regular and postseason. I’d rather spin the wheel on another guy who was buried or see if Hamhuis would take $1M to chase a ring.

Reactions: RandyHolt

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Just out of curiosity, why do people think that Orpik would make a great coach?

His chief strengths as a player seem to be professionalism and general toughness. But coaches are generally all fairly professional, heh, and don't routinely need to check other coaches into the boards.

From Orpik's interviews, I don't get the sense that he's some kind of great hockey mind, or communicator, or smth else. I think I might very well appreciate a tough, steady guy like that as a teammate, but to be a really good coach you need a different/additional set of skills, IMO.

Orpik is universally described as the most respected guy in the room. That seems to bode well to being a respected coach, but it's true we have no idea if he even wants to coach or if he's even any good at communicating Xs and Os to borrow a football phrase.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad