Status
Not open for further replies.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
top 3 picks vs. 2nd rounder.

and track record.

I don't give a damn where he was drafted...all that means is that all those teams that picked after #3 that year missed out on him before getting back to the Avalanche in the 2nd round.

The point still stands, Landeskog's deal came after a good rookie season and an injury riddled 2nd season...why wasn't he forced into a Bridge Deal? O'Reilly had been improving his game in a multitude of facets and it led to a huge breakout year and just because one player signed a Bridge Deal doesn't mean it's the "right thing to do", if O'Reilly wanted something longer term they should have negotiated off of that and factored in the buying of UFA years as means to the raise in pay

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
The old management was bridge deal or no deal sort. They were wrong there, and should have given a better long term offer, but at that point ROR wasn't worth $5m long term. Maybe 4.5, but closer to 4. He had one good season with Landy on his wing and would be the #3C with everybody healthy. Reluctance on a long term deal I understood at that point.

3.5m bridge was a fair offer contrary to what people want to claim.

We'll never know what could have happened if they went into the 4's on any sort of deal...but they didn't and what's done is done.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't give a damn where he was drafted...all that means is that all those teams that picked after #3 that year missed out on him before getting back to the Avalanche in the 2nd round.

The point still stands, Landeskog's deal came after a good rookie season and an injury riddled 2nd season...why wasn't he forced into a Bridge Deal? O'Reilly had been improving his game in a multitude of facets and it led to a huge breakout year and just because one player signed a Bridge Deal doesn't mean it's the "right thing to do", if O'Reilly wanted something longer term they should have negotiated off of that and factored in the buying of UFA years as means to the raise in pay

Different management groups and philosophies. Along with offensive production from day 1 and the salaries raise through the years.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

draft position still matters. get picked higher, you get more chances and leeway. and higher payroll. and landeskog was made captain too. 2nd ovr. pick, calder, team captain at that age, no way he was getting bridge deal. ROR didn't have the same resume. landeskog's second season was still better than what ROR's first two were.

phoenix is pretty happy they took OEL over him.

and i have stated in this thread (or the other ones, can't remember) already that their long-term offer was low ball offer. i wouldn't have been against long-term deal.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I bet the Lacroixes would have made Landy take a bridge deal. I missed the original point about bringing the bridge deal up. Were the Avs a bit in the wrong too back then, yeah I don't think anyone is refuting that. Sometimes a bridge deal makes sense such as in Barrie's case. Someone who is trending up but doesn't have the history. Put in a couple full years and he'll cash in. Or like Palat and Tyler Johnson. It makes sense for them to take 3 year deals after one very good year. It's not just for the team's benefit but the player's benefit too that they can build the resume to get a very nice long term contract instead of just a good long term contract right now.

Let's see how the Subban saga rides out. I bet we see a lot of parallels there to the O'Reilly saga.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Getting the point... Don't know what you asked...:shakehead

I get your point... You don't get the reality in the NHL. Bridge contracts are the lay of the land, 'right' or not. Which that is even debatable.

You are not getting anything i have said. Thats all i got to say.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
If we lose RoR and Barrie, Mackinnon might have a breakdown. He needs hip-hop-loving buddies, he thrives on them.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If we lose RoR and Barrie, Mackinnon might have a breakdown. He needs hip-hop-loving buddies, he thrives on them.

I don't think he'll lose Barrie. He might lose O'Reilly and McGinn though.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Maybe the awards will give Roy a chance to smooth things over a bit with O'Reilly, so Newport doesn't get him all worked up over nothing like they seem to want to.

They don't have to talk numbers and probably shouldn't without his agent present, but Roy can tell him how much he wants him on the team, and that the arbitration was done because Calgary forced them into a QO that was designed to be so high they wouldn't match it.

Just sweet talk him a bit, and maybe get him to come in the office in the following days and sit down with Joe and everyone and try to work things out on a long term deal.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Maybe the awards will give Roy a chance to smooth things over a bit with O'Reilly, so Newport doesn't get him all worked up over nothing like they seem to want to.

They don't have to talk numbers and probably shouldn't without his agent present, but Roy can tell him how much he wants him on the team, and that the arbitration was done because Calgary forced them into a QO that was designed to be so high they wouldn't match it.

Just sweet talk him a bit, and maybe get him to come in the office in the following days and sit down with Joe and everyone and try to work things out on a long term deal.

Not going to happen, Ryan is a stubborn young man. :sarcasm:

OldSchoolAvalanche*

Great plsyer, I can't blame him for getting as much as possible and the org low balling hopefully they can find middle ground. If not trade him

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
If we had a poll of what amount/years ROR should get according to the fans, would anyone use it? Or, would it be too much with all the other ROR threads on the board?

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
If we had a poll of what amount/years ROR should get according to the fans, would anyone use it? Or, would it be too much with all the other ROR threads on the board?

I like polls in general, good to see where the fanbase is at. I wouldn't mind it.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

Maybe. I do think feelings soften when you see people face to face.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

I'm not sure what the point would be as to many people here are believing that he'd be overpaid at $6.5M

Of course I remember a whole lot of people on this board exclaiming "Pay The Man!" during the course of the season...strange to see some of the change in stance now

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I'm not sure what the point would be as to many people here are believing that he'd be overpaid at $6.5M

Of course I remember a whole lot of people on this board exclaiming "Pay The Man!" during the course of the season...strange to see some of the change in stance now

Yeah, this is true, I was actually one of those people. I am just really getting sick of the whole thing. The recent interview with his agent left a really bad taste in my mouth and his father needs to shut his yapper (IMO)... the whole thing with Hishon still bugs me.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

"Pay The Man" still applies but you have to be reasonable. I know when I said it I was thinking a contract similar to what Duchene got. I didn't think O'Reilly's camp would start the negotiations at $6.5M/yr (if in fact that's what they're doing)

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Yeah, this is true, I was actually one of those people. I am just really getting sick of the whole thing. The recent interview with his agent left a really bad taste in my mouth and his father needs to shut his yapper (IMO)... the whole thing with Hishon still bugs me.

But HIS agent is Mark Guy, Morris just runs the agency and is a well known "Hockey Agent".

His dad...well we can't control his father's comments any more than Stastny could control his after the EJ trade. While I don't agree with Brian O'Reilly publicly making those comments to Hishon, what I saw was someone who does genuinely care for him and believes his course of action would be the best...now Joey disagreed but it seemed as if that should have been a private conversation.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003

I don't think anyone here is unwilling to pay Ryan O'Reilly a fair salary. I don't think Avs are unwilling to pay him a fair salary. I think pretty much everyone here views the Landeskog contract as a good floor and the Duchene contract as a good ceiling.

If anyone truly meant it in a give the stubborn young man and agent a blank check kind of way, then obviously it's a change in stance. In a more reasonable direction.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I don't think anyone here is unwilling to pay Ryan O'Reilly a fair salary. I don't think Avs are unwilling to pay him a fair salary. I think pretty much everyone here views the Landeskog contract as a good floor and the Duchene contract as a good ceiling.

If anyone truly meant it in a give the stubborn young man and agent a blank check kind of way, then obviously it's a change in stance. In a more reasonable direction.

I am not saying that he should get a blank check.

But I've also stated that I wouldn't have any problem if he ended up with a long-term deal between 6-6.5M AAV a year, I just think that ultimately he will be worth it, he's shown how good of a player he is and how much of a warrior he is on the ice.

Mark my words, if the Avs let him go he will win a Stanley Cup and he will play a pivotal role in the winning of that Cup...so because of my belief on that I would MUCH RATHER have him on our team and playing that pivotal role on an Avalanche Cup winning team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad