Post-Game Talk: Oranges

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
This isn't hyperbole.... Kreider Zibs Tarasenko has been the worst xG% I can remember.

It's embarrassing bad. I think after today it's sub 30%

At least with Vatrano they were decent/opportunistic on the rush.

honestly think it'll get a bit better, but they're getting caved in defensively again partly because of what I said about breakouts being terrible

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
That we are walking away with 2 points after that effort tonight is a testament to how truly awful this Flyers team is. Woof.
yea we sucked tonight.

a little concerning. They havent looked great lately. Even the end of the streak they seemed to be hanging on by a thread.

Yea the D isn't great right now, but id like to see them not get dominated for half the game.

that being said i think theyre still a little disjointed with all the new players added, and im optimistic it will get better.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
yea we sucked tonight.

a little concerning. They havent looked great lately. Even the end of the streak they seemed to be hanging on by a thread.

Yea the D isn't great right now, but id like to see them not get dominated for half the game.

that being said i think theyre still a little disjointed with all the new players added, and im optimistic it will get better.
It's also really difficult to play 11/5 missing 2 top dmen after playing 11/4 the game before. I think this is being overlooked by many.

I know it's late, but I can't believe I needed a sarcasm emoji.

And BTW, yes....he knows who Ed is. He saw the sign in Vancouver
Yes it is late

Ranger Wolf

Red Dwarf XI & XII
Feb 12, 2003
Temecula, CA
Visit site
8570CA16-B9C9-4286-8101-09897E846907.jpeg

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
Good turn around. Let's go Vladdy. Fire that puck more and good things will happen for him.

I don't think I ever seen so many blue jerseys in the stands in Philly in my 16 years of watching. Holy balls. And their fanbase on here is already sick of ol' Johnny boiii. lol

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
honestly think it'll get a bit better, but they're getting caved in defensively again partly because of what I said about breakouts being terrible
they're one and done on any rush. Everyone is just coasting. Zibs is guilty just as much.

Kreider is playing like he has mono

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Do you really not think they didn't give us reason to whine?
It was brutal tonight. I don't understand how people get their panties in a bunch over bad games or periods like it's the end of the world. They are locked into 3rd in the metro, there has been so much going on with this team, they were playing 11/5 after playing 11/4 the game before and you would think we were in the Bedard sweepstakes. I don't think people understand as much as they think they understand about this game. It was 8th grade schoolgirl whiny bitch worthy tonight.

they're one and done on any rush. Everyone is just coasting. Zibs is guilty just as much.

Kreider is playing like he has mono
And meanwhile those 3 were the only ones who scored tonight.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Thoughts:

-Sloppy game all around, but lucky to come away with 2 points against a non-playoff team. Tarasenko was clearly their best player tonight not if by points but by his willingness to shoot which led directly to 2 goals.
-Breakouts. Awful. There need to be benchings for every time a player just haphazardly swats the puck in the general 180 degree cone of the opposing net with no regard for where it's going and it ends up on an opponent's stick, regardless of if this occurs in the defensive zone or the neutral zone. If they end up outnumbered at the blueline, they need to dump far corner with the opposite winger entering with a full head of steam. It's a timing play, but it's the only way you're going to consistently beat the D to the puck. You're not going to get there if everyone is standing flat footed at the offensive blueline waiting for the dump. If they're going to carry in, they need to try to approach with speed to back the D off. If they're not, they need to overload a side and attack in numbers, and carry in to the half wall to create separation up high so they can effectively use the point. A slow entry where they only go 5-10 feet into the offensive zone doesn't create enough separation to consistently make the D a viable option to spread the play without risking an odd man rush the other way, a turnover, or a forced no look cross corner dump in from the point with likely no one to retrieve the puck.
-There is still a lack of coordination among the offense. Pointed out to my wife during the game - not sure who the player was, but at one point, Panarin passes to someone in the high slot then backs of towards the left circle stick raised, in clear anticipation for the second half of a give and go, and a one-timer on net - and the puck carrier...passes to Ben Harpur. Plays like this kill scoring opportunities.
-Kid line was buzzing, and Laf's passing wa on point tonight, but they didn't finish. Chytil needs to start roofing pucks and stop going low corner all the time. Kakko needs to more consistently shoot off the pass when receiving a cross ice pass, or if he's going to wait, aim far side back where the goalie came from. The body of their game was good, but the points weren't there tonight.
-Of all the reasons to be glad for Patty Kane's arrival, not the least of which will be no more Barclay Goodrow on Panarin's opposite wing. Woof.
-Fox still looks like he's playing hurt to me. While speed was never really his thing, his first step explosiveness has not been there and it's made him less evasive along the blueline and in isolating defenders to create oddman situations down low. IMO that's the biggest reason his offense seems to have stagnated.
-Igor is still setting up with one pad down at times, and it's killing him. Stay on your feet dude. Laughton doesn't score that goal if Igor's positioning is right.
-Offensively, this team is not drawing enough penalties right now, and that's a byproduct of not consistently challenging scoring areas. This looked like it was going to be a runaway victory until they started taking penalties in the first, then it took them a period and a half to find their legs again. That won't cut it against stronger teams.
-Despite the increased minutes, the D really wasn't my biggest issue today - far from it. Hopefully they have enough in the tank for a strong game tomorrow, and not to beat a dead horse on breakouts, but the forwards have to do a better job with puck management especially in the neutral zone and D zone exits.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I’ve watched Robertson play all year and don’t believe he is ready. Hajek, sadly is the only option.
Nobody looks good in Hartford, Schneider looked pretty unimpressive before his call up last year too. It can't hurt to give him a game, we already know what Hajek brings and Schneider and Robertson have played together for a brief period.

Why doesn't it impact the other lines then?
Missing Lindgren and Miller, plus being down a dman is currently killing our breakouts. Harpur is an AHL dman, and Mikkola is ok but he's not a top 4 dman.

FUZfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2018
Even though he Stromed a wide open net, I thought Goodrow had a really effective game tonight.

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad