Options for a new HC?

None

Feb 22, 2012
TNSE is on the hook for 2 more years at 3M each, so unfortunately I can't see a big $ hire like Boudreau etc. A guy like Mike Velucci might be more reasonable.

I think Boudreau is picky about the type of team he coaches. He only wants to coach teams that are already a safe bet for the playoffs; not a potential reclamation project.
Boudreau wouldn't want this team and I doubt that the Jets would want him anyways, regardless of price.

I'm not the biggest fan of Boudreau's anymore. I'd rather they get someone from outside the org, but if Pascal Vincent can provide a voice of change I wouldn't be opposed to letting him have a go at it even if it had an interim tag.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I think Boudreau is picky about the type of team he coaches. He only wants to coach teams that are already a safe bet for the playoffs; not a potential reclamation project.
Boudreau wouldn't want this team and I doubt that the Jets would want him anyways, regardless of price.

I'm not the biggest fan of Boudreau's anymore. I'd rather they get someone from outside the org, but if Pascal Vincent can provide a voice of change I wouldn't be opposed to letting him have a go at it even if it had an interim tag.
I think maybe you underestimate this roster. I would want to coach this team.

MarkWheeler

Dec 16, 2018
I don’t care where they were coaching previous. So long as the recognize that’s 2021 and they are able to coach the modern game.
Truth. I’d way rather see them bring in someone new and fresh, even someone who hasn’t coached in the NHL before, lots of good options in the A, or juniors I think. I’m not a big fan of just recycling someone from the 32 old boys club.

None

Feb 22, 2012
I think maybe you underestimate this roster. I would want to coach this team.

I don't think I'm underestimating them, I think they're capable of being a perennial playoff team with this core. That's why I want a change, because I don't think this team looks like I imagine they can be.
I just don't think Boudreau is the type of coach who is looking to coach a team that is underachieving (in my opinion) as much as this team is.

purdy44

Registered Loser
Feb 8, 2013
Lac Seul, ON
Can someone please explain the hype with Pascal Vincent? I know that he's won coach of the year in the Q and with the Moose, but that Moose team got swept in the second round IIRC

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Can someone please explain the hype with Pascal Vincent? I know that he's won coach of the year in the Q and with the Moose, but that Moose team got swept in the second round IIRC

If one of your criteria is having won a Cup or Calder Cup, you're making a short list even shorter.

Reactions: surixon and Heldig

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

No idea how he'd fare as an HC. Has proven to be a strong developer of talent and shows good communication with his players. Stuck with the Jets' systems as Moose HC, but likely a more modern take on the game. But you're right, who knows? and strongly suspect the Jets would look to promote from outside unless on an interim basis.

Reactions: rkp

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don’t think there is anyone currently available that is that much better.

That is always the situation when the coach is (part of) the problem. Mostly, they all tend to be much the same as each other. I'm sure there are better ones out there somewhere. But how to find and identify them?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I imagine the most likely hire would be Pascal Vincent getting promoted.

I'm fine with that.

No idea if that would be good or bad. He's never had a lot to work with in the AHL. He is required to mirror Maurice's style to prepare players for the Jets. Is he a Maurice protege? No idea.

None

Feb 22, 2012
No idea if that would be good or bad. He's never had a lot to work with in the AHL. He is required to mirror Maurice's style to prepare players for the Jets. Is he a Maurice protege? No idea.

Yeah, I don't want Vincent if he's just a drop in replacement for Maurice's systems and game management.
That's what I meant by I'd be fine seeing what we have in Pascal Vincent. The caveat would be that he'd need to sell any changes that he would be making to management and then the players. I think you give him the spot as interim HC and see if there's noticeable short-term improvement.

I'm a little worried that someone like Vincent would have too much familiarity with the players and wouldn't want to make too many drastic alterations. I don't think we necessarily need drastic changes but an outside look might help find something that familiar eyes are missing.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah, I don't want Vincent if he's just a drop in replacement for Maurice's systems and game management.
That's what I meant by I'd be fine seeing what we have in Pascal Vincent. The caveat would be that he'd need to sell any changes that he would be making to management and then the players. I think you give him the spot as interim HC and see if there's noticeable short-term improvement.

I'm a little worried that someone like Vincent would have too much familiarity with the players and wouldn't want to make too many drastic alterations. I don't think we necessarily need drastic changes but an outside look might help find something that familiar eyes are missing.

The interim HC is OK for an in-season replacement. Trouble is there is the usual new coach bounce that hints at improved coaching. The guy gets hired permanently and starts playing bad vets over unknown quantity prospects - just like all of the other coaches do.

None

Feb 22, 2012
The interim HC is OK for an in-season replacement. Trouble is there is the usual new coach bounce that hints at improved coaching. The guy gets hired permanently and starts playing bad vets over unknown quantity prospects - just like all of the other coaches do.

Yeah, they've gotta sell Chevy on their vision too and hopefully stick to that.
I'm sure Chevy would set certain expectations with any new hire to get them on the same page for where players in the system are. I'm making the assumption here that there is a difference in opinion on where some of our prospects are at developmentally between Chevy and Maurice though. It's possible that Chevy agrees with Maurice that neither Heinola nor Samberg are better options than Beaulieu (currently).

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Yeah, they've gotta sell Chevy on their vision too and hopefully stick to that.
I'm sure Chevy would set certain expectations with any new hire to get them on the same page for where players in the system are. I'm making the assumption here that there is a difference in opinion on where some of our prospects are at developmentally between Chevy and Maurice though. It's possible that Chevy agrees with Maurice that neither Heinola nor Samberg are better options than Beaulieu (currently).

I have felt for some time this season that Maurice has been given the rope if you will. I think he's the guy deciding who plays and doesn't play and I think what happens is Maurice hangs himself with it.

Dunno why just feel this is a big season for Maurice. Jets spending to the cap in a year with no profits.. expectations are high.. Chevy has done a good job getting the young 2C.

Don't think they expected Demelo or Morrissey to struggle as much. Probably thought Niku was atleast a capable NHL D man.. he wasn't and hasn't shown to be that...
Heinola Samberg? Heinola not playing the moment he was cleared to coming back from the Juniors was just a dumb decision. Why play the guy who has been playing tho.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Don't think they expected Demelo or Morrissey to struggle as much. Probably thought Niku was atleast a capable NHL D man.. he wasn't and hasn't shown to be that...
Heinola Samberg? Heinola not playing the moment he was cleared to coming back from the Juniors was just a dumb decision. Why play the guy who has been playing tho.

I don't think anyone did. I was never expecting a dominant pair that could singlehandedly manage against top lines without much forward assistance. But I wasn't expecting Morrissey to be even less than adequate at times to even be on a 2nd pairing getting easier minutes. They should be capable of at least hanging on against some top lines, but Morrissey is struggling badly.

As for whether Chevy is giving Maurice the rope to sink or swim on his own roster evaluation... The thought has crossed my mind but I think this would only be considered if Chevy was willing to pull the rope taut early if results are any worse than expected.
The other scenario I've thought of along those lines is that Maurice is aware that expectations are high this year and is going with his comfortable vet roster.

I agree Heinola should be in though, and if it's an issue of having his ELC slide then Samberg should be given a look instead.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I'm ok with the 19 yr old D and the rookie who hasn't played in a year playing huge minutes for the Moose.

I think the mistake was made earlier.. but now? Play them huge minutes with MB.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny

He's too old and not relevant anymore.

Reactions: thegr8one66

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad