Options for a new HC?

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I don't think anyone did. I was never expecting a dominant pair that could singlehandedly manage against top lines without much forward assistance. But I wasn't expecting Morrissey to be even less than adequate at times to even be on a 2nd pairing getting easier minutes. They should be capable of at least hanging on against some top lines, but Morrissey is struggling badly.

As for whether Chevy is giving Maurice the rope to sink or swim on his own roster evaluation... The thought has crossed my mind but I think this would only be considered if Chevy was willing to pull the rope taut early if results are any worse than expected.
The other scenario I've thought of along those lines is that Maurice is aware that expectations are high this year and is going with his comfortable vet roster.

I agree Heinola should be in though, and if it's an issue of having his ELC slide then Samberg should be given a look instead.
Sadly Morrissey is struggling, again. Poor puck handling or pass choices. Fumbling the puck in high danger areas in our end ( game after fame so far this year). And he is foiling good potential offensive attacks by losing the puck or passing it to the defender. He should be foiling opponents attacks, not our own!!

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I have felt for some time this season that Maurice has been given the rope if you will. I think he's the guy deciding who plays and doesn't play and I think what happens is Maurice hangs himself with it.

Dunno why just feel this is a big season for Maurice. Jets spending to the cap in a year with no profits.. expectations are high.. Chevy has done a good job getting the young 2C.

Don't think they expected Demelo or Morrissey to struggle as much. Probably thought Niku was atleast a capable NHL D man.. he wasn't and hasn't shown to be that...
Heinola Samberg? Heinola not playing the moment he was cleared to coming back from the Juniors was just a dumb decision. Why play the guy who has been playing tho.

Very good thoughts there.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Reactions: ryerockarola

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Maurice reached out to Olli Jokinen about a coaching job with the Jets before hiring Lowry (according to Elliotte Friedman). So my post wasn’t wasn’t 100% satire.
I read it was Jokinen that reached out to the Jets.

Reactions: surixon

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Never been a big fan of Vincent either on the Jets or Moose, he wouldn't be on my list

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Maybe go with Dale Hunter or Darryl Sutter, they seem to be very good at getting the most out of a roster for a short period of time. They have a short shelf life but they may be able to push this team and get them to play some team defense.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
RE: Jokinen. Actually the direct quote was “the two talked” so it’s not clear who reached out to who.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I remember when Vincent was persona non grata around these parts. I guess it goes to show that we really don't know what the assistants are contributing.

Reactions: Mathil8

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
If anyone had Babcock on their list they might want to reconsider. After the interview he gave yesterday and the current "climate" , he will likely never coach in the NHL again.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I'd like to see someone like Grönborg or Jalonen. Actually I think Jalonen might be a good fit with the Jets culture. However I don't think in any league in Europe (with the possible exception of KHL) there is ever a situation where any player > HC, which I think is sort of the case in NHL - so it would probably be a very challenging transition. OTOH I think the first team to make that leap succesfully will reap some serious benefits.

Realistically I don't see a team like the Jets going that left field, it would be too risky, so I think a team like Buffalo or something who have just sucked for a long time would be more open to a somewhat radical move like that. If you pick one from the old boys club, I don't think it makes that much of a difference, at least if it's someone like Gallant, but then the change by itself is often enough to give a boost, even if you just replaced Maurice with a parallel dimension version of himself.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I'd like to see someone like Grönborg or Jalonen. Actually I think Jalonen might be a good fit with the Jets culture. However I don't think in any league in Europe (with the possible exception of KHL) there is ever a situation where any player > HC, which I think is sort of the case in NHL - so it would probably be a very challenging transition. OTOH I think the first team to make that leap succesfully will reap some serious benefits.

Realistically I don't see a team like the Jets going that left field, it would be too risky, so I think a team like Buffalo or something who have just sucked for a long time would be more open to a somewhat radical move like that. If you pick one from the old boys club, I don't think it makes that much of a difference, at least if it's someone like Gallant, but then the change by itself is often enough to give a boost, even if you just replaced Maurice with a parallel dimension version of himself.

If the Jets do move on for Maurice, I agree, they won't go crazy like that as they believe the window is still now. That's the sort of move a team on the downswing or starting over after they've already blown it up.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The Jets are never going to take the chance on a mercurial coach that might burn his bridges with core players to get short-term results. Ensuring that there is a strong affinity for the organization among top players is a key strategy. So a hard-headed coach that alienates players just won't fly - won't even be considered. Part of Maurice's appeal for TNSE is that he's a "player's coach". Maurice knows that.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I’ll say Mark Scheifele in 2033 as the next head coach. He signs 6 year extension after current contract expires and retires in 2030. Takes a year away from hockey and takes an assistant job with the Jets the following season and spends 2 seasons learning the coaching ropes and in 2033 takes over for Maurice when he retires after his 20th full season as the Head Coach of the Winnipeg Jets. Betcha my guess is closer then some of the others.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
I’ll say Mark Scheifele in 2033 as the next head coach. He signs 6 year extension after current contract expires and retires in 2030. Takes a year away from hockey and takes an assistant job with the Jets the following season and spends 2 seasons learning the coaching ropes and in 2033 takes over for Maurice when he retires after his 20th full season as the Head Coach of the Winnipeg Jets. Betcha my guess is closer then some of the others.
I think Scheifele becomes a GM one day. I could see his post-playing career continuing with the Jets in management and learning the ropes that way.

Head coaching is a different ball game, I think

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->