Options for a new HC?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Let me be clear this isn't a thread to discuss our roster of players, PMO, Chevy or Chipman. Coaching thread is to discuss PMO, not here. This thread isn't to discuss if PMO should be fired or not, we have a thread for that.

Let's post some ideas for some good options for a HC, personally I would stay away from guys who are under contract already for next year. Yes I know we will have more options this offseason but we want to discuss ideas now.

Let's have some ideas and support (if you can) your options with why he would be a good option.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Sure, I will start;

Bruce Boudreau:

Third on this list for most impact after a coaching change.

Boudreau is the kind of coach that can make a a good roster perform below expectation. Washington, Anaheim and Minny all had good competitive rosters during his time in each of those places and not once did he make it past the conference finals. He's extremely overrated. Not really sure he's much better than Mo.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Boudreau and Gallant are both great options if the Jets decide to go in a different directions than Maurice. Don't have much interest in any inhouse replacements. Would rather just stick with Maurice if the plan is to promote someone inhouse.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Let's go AHl and see what we got..

Todd Nelson is interesting.

I don't think a Boudreau or Gallant would work... U need a guy who can relate with the youth more.. a little more up to 2021 style of hockey..

Throwing out names are tough cuz.. 1. Not my job but 2. It's a covid year again so... Yeah.. I guess I'll wait till the off season to see who is there. Bunch of good NCAA coaches out there also who might just bring a fun style of play. Maybe you go off the board and go European. I think what I'd want is a guy who maybe hasn't really been given a shot yet to run the pro team.. Pascal Vincent? Keeps Lowry and Dubois around. Lol.

Phil Housley I think is a guy who got a unfair kind of deal with buffalo. He's a guy I'd talk to atleast. Jim Montgomery? Ted Nolan? Mike Babcock... U gotta talk to them atleast

Last edited:

Highway1

Jan 9, 2017
Rikard Gronborg could be intriguing as a head coach. Played college hockey in the States and now coaching in Switzerland and having strong results. He has had success coaching Sweden in the IIHF to gold metals as well as silver. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
So here is another name:
Rikard Gronborg.

"Now we get interesting. It has been two decades since the NHL has had a European head coach, and it is time to change that. Gronborg, currently the head coach of Swiss team ZSC Lions as well as the Swedish National Team, has been a winner everywhere he has coached, is highly decorated and respected, and has his sights set on the NHL. His contract with Zurich expires after this season (so he would be available) and would be a refreshing change of pace and maybe bring some new ideas to a league that keeps recycling through the same coaches over and over again."

@Highway1 beat me to it.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I am going to put my hat in for an up and coming coach. My choice would be Benoit Groulx who is the current coach with Tampa Bay's affiliate Syracuse Crunch.
Some highlights:
  • Coached Canada to a gold medal in the 2015 WJC
  • Won Three QMJHL Championships Hull/Gatineau Olympicques
  • Teams have only missed the playoffs 1 time in his 18 years of coaching history
The pros:
  • He is part of the Tampa juggernaut and has a history of coaching high octane offensive systems
  • He is familiar with Morrissey from the WJC
  • Has a history of success at all levels
I think he is a very good up and coming coach that has spent time in a very forward thinking organization. I think he would really bring a lot to our team especially given how it is constructed.

Highway1

Jan 9, 2017
I am going to put my hat in for an up and coming coach. My choice would be Benoit Groulx who is the current coach with Tampa Bay's affiliate Syracuse Crunch.
Some highlights:
  • Coached Canada to a gold medal in the 2015 WJC
  • Won Three QMJHL Championships Hull/Gatineau Olympicques
  • Teams have only missed the playoffs 1 time in his 18 years of coaching history
The pros:
  • He is part of the Tampa juggernaut and has a history of coaching high octane offensive systems
  • He is familiar with Morrissey from the WJC
  • Has a history of success at all levels
I think he is a very good up and coming coach that has spent time in a very forward thinking organization. I think he would really bring a lot to our team especially given how it is constructed.
Also very intriguing. He will be in the NHL very soon.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Rikard Gronborg could be intriguing as a head coach. Played college hockey in the States and now coaching in Switzerland and having strong results. He has had success coaching Sweden in the IIHF to gold metals as well as silver. Just a thought.

Interesting pick, I agree that there should be way more European coaches over here. Any insight on what type of systems he generally runs. I have to say I am generally not a big fan of the style that Sweden tends to play at the WJC's.

I really liked how Finland played though and I would be interested in a Finish coach who played that type of hybrid offensive scheme.

Highway1

Jan 9, 2017
Interesting pick, I agree that there should be way more European coaches over here. Any insight on what type of systems he generally runs. I have to say I am generally not a big fan of the style that Sweden tends to play at the WJC's.

I really liked how Finland played though and I would be interested in a Finish coach who played that type of hybrid offensive scheme.

Grönberg is a dual Swedish-American citizen who has been coaching on the Swedish national team since 2010-11.
The 50 year old has a mentality of running four very even lines which would fit strongly into driving competition between our lines with the amount of young players needing time.
Speaking about NHL vs Sweden:
“When it comes to North American coaching, generally speaking, a coach comes to coach vs. just being a trainer, as we call it in Sweden [coach is translated as tränare in Swedish]. Go out and train the team,” said Grönborg. “Here it’s actually a coach and kind of plan how we utilize the players and give them job descriptions and whatnot. There’s different tweaks in the game situations instead of just kind of rotating four lines, which was very common back in Sweden.”
“You’d rotate four lines until there was 10 minutes left and then go down to three lines and then you go down to two lines the last two minutes. …In Sweden, it was very common to have four very even lines.”
He is a huge proponent of developing players and has seen success at a national level. A large part of the strength of the U-18, I-20 and National team for Sweden comes from Grönborg. He has helped develop a large number of NHL talents.
They have won back to back golds at the world championship under Grönborg. Their U20 team has won two silver medals under him in three years and the U18 also won two silver medals in three years under Grönborg.
While Q is a sexy name... Grönborg would bring something new and potentially gamebreaking.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Grönberg is a dual Swedish-American citizen who has been coaching on the Swedish national team since 2010-11.
The 50 year old has a mentality of running four very even lines which would fit strongly into driving competition between our lines with the amount of young players needing time.
Speaking about NHL vs Sweden:
“When it comes to North American coaching, generally speaking, a coach comes to coach vs. just being a trainer, as we call it in Sweden [coach is translated as tränare in Swedish]. Go out and train the team,” said Grönborg. “Here it’s actually a coach and kind of plan how we utilize the players and give them job descriptions and whatnot. There’s different tweaks in the game situations instead of just kind of rotating four lines, which was very common back in Sweden.”
“You’d rotate four lines until there was 10 minutes left and then go down to three lines and then you go down to two lines the last two minutes. …In Sweden, it was very common to have four very even lines.”
He is a huge proponent of developing players and has seen success at a national level. A large part of the strength of the U-18, I-20 and National team for Sweden comes from Grönborg. He has helped develop a large number of NHL talents.
They have won back to back golds at the world championship under Grönborg. Their U20 team has won two silver medals under him in three years and the U18 also won two silver medals in three years under Grönborg.
While Q is a sexy name... Grönborg would bring something new and potentially gamebreaking.

Thanks for that. He definitely sounds like he has a very different philosophy. Whether he could make that philosophy work over here would be interesting to find out.

I like that he would like to run four lines and that he believes in development. I still don't have a good idea on his systems but I would imagine he likely tweaks them depending on roster.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Jim Montgomery. Good with young players. Success at all levels and familiarity within the division. Not sure if he would leave St.Louis but HC opportunities don’t come up that often.
“Montgomery has seen success at each level he’s coached, winning two Clark Cups with the Dubuque Fighting Saints in the USHL and an NCAA championship at the University of Denver. He also led the Stars to their first playoff appearance in three years during the 2018-19 season.”
https://thehockeywriters.com/jim-montgomery-fresh-start-blues-assistant-coach/

Reactions: MarkWheeler

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
TNSE is on the hook for 2 more years at 3M each, so unfortunately I can't see a big $ hire like Boudreau etc. A guy like Mike Velucci might be more reasonable.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
TNSE is on the hook for 2 more years at 3M each, so unfortunately I can't see a big $ hire like Boudreau etc. A guy like Mike Velucci might be more reasonable.
That make’s me sad. The $ part.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->