GDT: Optimism Train Rolls Back Into Town!: Canucks @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I am in the minority but PAP makes a ton of subtle nifty little plays every game that goes unnoticed on here. He had a strong two shifts to start the game which led to the goal. We do not have a ton of wingers who can create room for others while controlling the puck on the perimeter, he can do that. I don't mind him at all as a gap filler this season.

In actuality, Lee Stempniak hasn't been much better than him this season. Stempniak is also in a 20 game goal drought right now, if I counted that right.

PAP hasn't been as good as Stempniak last year, but it was suggested earlier to trade him for Stempniak or to waive him and acquire Stempniak from some other means.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I am in the minority but PAP makes a ton of subtle nifty little plays every game that goes unnoticed on here. He had a strong two shifts to start the game which led to the goal. We do not have a ton of wingers who can create room for others while controlling the puck on the perimeter, he can do that. I don't mind him at all as a gap filler this season.

I still think he was a shrewd signing by Shero and much better than any of the trash we had last year. If there is any downside to him just think, we could have Havlat:shakehead

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ

It just bothers me that he's basically our Stempniak from last season but a much worse version. Annoying that we could have Stemp instead.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Was at the game tonight. Attendance was as expected with lots of empties in the 200s. BUT, there was energy in the arena, especially with the Devils coming out swarming in the first few minutes followed by the Zajac and Larsen hits.

The refs FUBAR'd the game with their non-call on the Zajac hit. Surprising the third period was relatively calm. It'll be interesting to see what happens when we head out to Vancouver in January.

It was also nice to see them close one out with no late goals given up.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Wasn't that when Farnham fought and owned Virtanen and got chirped by Dorsett on Twitter?

I hate the Canucks and their fans, they've always had scummy players but it's never their fault.

So glad they've never won anything

It was actually Brandon Prust who chirped him on Twitter and was in the AHL at the time

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It just bothers me that he's basically our Stempniak from last season but a much worse version. Annoying that we could have Stemp instead.

Well at a markup anyway though two years isn't a bad deal.

And fwiw Stempniak has just four goals and ten points in 25 games this year, Parenteau has five goals and nine points in 25 games. He wasn't going to sustain last year's production.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Quincey quietly has 9pts and a team leading +9 rating. He has his gaffs but he has been solid.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Well at a markup anyway though two years isn't a bad deal.

And fwiw Stempniak has just four goals and ten points in 25 games this year, Parenteau has five goals and nine points in 25 games. He wasn't going to sustain last year's production.
I already tried to point out that Stempniak is literally on pace for like 2 or 3 more points this year than PAP. Stemp is also in a 20 game goal drought. Maybe I'm off by a game or two there and miscounted, but it's been longer than PAP's current goal drought.
Quincey quietly has 9pts and a team leading +9 rating. He has his gaffs but he has been solid.
He's actually not Lovejoy-like at offense. It's been a while but Quincey had 3 seasons earlier on in his career where he put up a decent amount of points.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
The PAP hate is mind-boggling. Yes he's not the best finisher on the first line, but the guy is literally amongst the best if not the best possession player on the team so far. I mean, is he a first line player? No, but having him in the top 9 really helps your team out. I mean for people calling him to be waived or scratched I just don't understand. I think you can argue BB is better than him and should be on the first line, but PAP has been better than Palms/DSP/Boucher all have been.

The fourth line is turning into a very good possession line. Kalinin/Lappin/Fiddler have all been fantastic possession players. They aren't giving up many chances in their zone and are really making teams work. Wood I think brings a more impact type player with much more upside finishing than Kalinin does, but these players have really been helping our team.

Cannot say enough about Quincey. Was really not looking forward to him, but he's been great this year. He's played like a legitimate top 4 defensman. May be the most surprising player on the team. Auvitu has been fantastic this year as well. This guy needs more minutes.

Moore is still so frustrating. Just because he does flash a lot. I think he's been our worst defenseman by far, but he had a really good game today I felt. He just needs to get more consistent. Some guys he plays very well and other games he struggles mightily.

Palms/Cam both get trapped in their own zone a lot. Difference is Cam produces at a much higher rate than Palmieri.

Really if you take out DSP, Moore, Palms, Rico this would be a great possession team. Now of course I'm not advocating for that because Rico/Palms and even Moore to some extent are producers, but it does go to show that this will be a tough team to play against.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
The PAP hate is mind-boggling. Yes he's not the best finisher on the first line, but the guy is literally amongst the best if not the best possession player on the team so far. I mean, is he a first line player? No, but having him in the top 9 really helps your team out. I mean for people calling him to be waived or scratched I just don't understand. I think you can argue BB is better than him and should be on the first line, but PAP has been better than Palms/DSP/Boucher all have been.

I would SO much rather find out what Boucher was capable of playing next to Hall (instead of wasting away with 4th line minutes), than have PAP waste the space.

As far as I can tell - they can both finish - neither can skate, and PAP is arguably a better all-around player today, although Boucher is slightly better defensively.

If you ask me whether I give the 22 year old a shot and waive the vet, I think it is a no-brainer - but I think Shero had some ex-Lou-player hate working, so...

hutter

Mar 6, 2014

The fourth line is turning into a very good possession line. Kalinin/Lappin/Fiddler have all been fantastic possession players. They aren't giving up many chances in their zone and are really making teams work. Wood I think brings a more impact type player with much more upside finishing than Kalinin does, but these players have really been helping our team.

Cannot say enough about Quincey. Was really not looking forward to him, but he's been great this year. He's played like a legitimate top 4 defensman. May be the most surprising player on the team. Auvitu has been fantastic this year as well. This guy needs more minutes.

Moore is still so frustrating. Just because he does flash a lot. I think he's been our worst defenseman by far, but he had a really good game today I felt. He just needs to get more consistent. Some guys he plays very well and other games he struggles mightily.

Palms/Cam both get trapped in their own zone a lot. Difference is Cam produces at a much higher rate than Palmieri.

Really if you take out DSP, Moore, Palms, Rico this would be a great possession team. Now of course I'm not advocating for that because Rico/Palms and even Moore to some extent are producers, but it does go to show that this will be a tough team to play against.

How Moore produces like he does is a total mystery to me. Especially with the lack of power play points he's had. I feel as though he has absolutely no dynamic defensive skills, he cannot get the puck out of his own zone, and he cannot maintain the puck in the offensive zone either. He sucks at generating attempts and sucks a lot more at preventing them. He never pushes play forward.

Are his dynamic offensive abilities (his shot, his ability to make accurate and high-level plays) really that good that he can actually carve out a career continuing like this? How he consistently is on pace for at least 20 points is just completely beyond me. Every other defenseman who does it generates attempts.

I would SO much rather find out what Boucher was capable of playing next to Hall (instead of wasting away with 4th line minutes), than have PAP waste the space.

As far as I can tell - they can both finish - neither can skate, and PAP is arguably a better all-around player today, although Boucher is slightly better defensively.

If you ask me whether I give the 22 year old a shot and waive the vet, I think it is a no-brainer - but I think Shero had some ex-Lou-player hate working, so...

There are multiple players on the devils this year that it probably would have been wiser to waive than Boucher. I have a feeling that it comes down to work ethic and what he's shown the coaches his attitude is like when he's not being pushed.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Boucher is not better than PAP defensively, not even close. Saying PAP is wasting space is frankly an embarrassing statement. PAP is one of the best possession players on the team and has been a possession driver his whole career. Doing it in Toronto last year proves he wasn't a Tavares passenger. Just keep shooting.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
How Moore produces like he does is a total mystery to me. Especially with the lack of power play points he's had. I feel as though he has absolutely no dynamic defensive skills, he cannot get the puck out of his own zone, and he cannot maintain the puck in the offensive zone either. He sucks at generating attempts and sucks a lot more at preventing them. He never pushes play forward.

Are his dynamic offensive abilities (his shot, his ability to make accurate and high-level plays) really that good that he can actually carve out a career continuing like this? How he consistently is on pace for at least 20 points is just completely beyond me. Every other defenseman who does it generates attempts.

You and me both man. No idea how he does it. If I had to venture a guess, I would say it's his skating ability to gets him some points since that's clearly his strong suit, but like you said he's consistently reaching 20 every year. Don't know how.

Like watching Auivtu and Moore this year, it's ridiculous how Moore has more points than him by quite a few when Auvitu looks like years better offensively and really at every facet of the game.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We will get Boosh back in a month when the Preds waive him for doing nothing and being a slow slug

I don't even think it will be worth it to bring him back if he's waived again.

He'd help Albany, but I don't see him getting a real NHL shot here again.

BadFella

"$8 Million Goalie My Ass!"
Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
To put it into a different perspective rather than 8/0/2...

At home, the Devils have secured 18 out of 20 possible points this season. Crazy.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Hall is the man that stirs the drink Nice game by Wood, Kalinin and Bennett. Severson looked good as well. I like it when he just rips them with no hesitation. I thought Cory looked a little shaky and should have had the second goal. He needs to be sharper going against Price on Thursday.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Man, the metropolitan division has to be the best in the NHL. Who wins on a race Hall or Wood?

It's hard to tell because Hall is a much smoother skater than Wood, who just seems kind of chaotic in general. If Wood's hands ever catch up with his feet, look out.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
It's hard to tell because Hall is a much smoother skater than Wood, who just seems kind of chaotic in general. If Wood's hands ever catch up with his feet, look out.

Exactly. How many pucks have rolled off his stick when attacking the goal?

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Vancouver fans a bit angry on the main board. I believe the hit was clean and I blame the Cahput or whatever is name is for creating the scrum around Larson as he laid there. The Devils had no choice but to come to the defense of their best player. I do hope the guy wasn't seriously injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad