GDT: Optimism Train Rolls Back Into Town!: Canucks @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
We have at least a game in hand on the 4 closest teams behind us.

We also have 3 games in hand on the Flyers and 2 on the Rags.

We are in control of our destiny right now.

And this guy hasn't hit his stride yet

cory_schneider-1040x572.jpg

We're gonna be okay.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Not to mention this Taylor Hall guy is damn good ar hockey.

Still not sure we have even seen his best yet.

His passing ability and vision are on another level than most guys. I didn't expect that honestly. I knew he was very physically gifted and could skate like the wind, but I didn't know he was that special of a playmaker. He could literally have 10 more assists this year if guys could finish lol. He is exceeding my expectations and they were pretty lofty to begin with.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
His passing ability and vision are on another level than most guys. I didn't expect that honestly. I knew he was very physically gifted and could skate like the wind, but I didn't know he was that special of a playmaker. He could literally have 10 more assists this year if guys could finish lol. He is exceeding my expectations and they were pretty lofty to begin with.

It is something else and he makes it look so effortless.

If we can get him another skilled forward the sky is the absolute limit.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I don't think Hall will get suspended. Honestly from the camera view behind Hall it didn't even seem like he was trying to lay a hit on the guy.

From behind Larsen, you can see he went into Hall head first and full speed. It was really unfortunately but I don't think it's worthy of a suspension. I just hope Larsen is okay.

My takeaways from being at the game-

Miles Wood is a joy to watch. He has unbelievable speed and seems to keep pretty good control over the puck while at top speed. The fourth line of Wood-Fiddler-Lappin is definitely working.

Taylor Hall is an amazing hockey player. I see him throw some passes that make me cringe but they end up right on the tape of another Devil's stick. His patience and hockey sense is second to none. Man we are lucky to have him.

The defense all together played a better game. That being said, the Devils were trapped in their own zone for several stretches.

Henrique looked more confident out there. He was making some moves and taking some shots. He and Palmieri seem to be waking up. Palmieri has 4 points in the last 5 games and Henrique has 2 points and is a -7 but he looks like he's trending up.

Parenteau looks awful. He's not very fast and he isn't even getting the puck on net. 13 games without a goal now?

Severson looked very good. Also nice to see he and Moore get physical and stand up for the other guys.

8-0-2 at home! This team is a joy to watch. They sure can be frustrating at times and make wins really stressful but it's fun.

johnny pierogi

15 MINUTES OF FAYNE
Aug 11, 2016
Warren County
Wasn't last years home game against Vancouver rough and tumble as well??

I was at that game and was there tonight. Last year wasn't as serious. There were no injuries as I recall, just farnham and tootoo getting into fights. I think Tootoo claimed Burrows said something to him about his family re alcohol. Not surprising, burrows is more human trash.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I still think Winnipeg is better than Vancouver by a little bit.

Vancouver is one of the worst teams we've played. Only a team like the Yotes are losing on purpose, or so I'm very convinced.

Vancouver actually isn't tanking, they're just pretty much directionless right now.

Winnipeg is far better than Vancouver.

They've got some incredible talent at forwards. Hellebuyck is going to be a stud at goalie, but they need to get the defense in order. Part of that has to do with how offensive their forwards are.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Wasn't last years home game against Vancouver rough and tumble as well??

I think something happened with Dorset, or maybe that was the year before.

There was also some questionable officiating in that one too. We actually got a make up call in that game though. I almost wanna say there was a double minor or 5 minute major late in that game. I can't even remember if we killed it or not. I just remember Palmieri scoring the OT winner on the power play.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Like the way the team is shaping up. Lappin seems to be a staple at 4RW for the rest of the year. Hall/Cammalleri might be the best 1-2 LW punch in the league. C depth is fine for now. Parenteau is really struggling. I think Devils need one top 6 RW and one 3rd line LW to really have a great forward group.

LW: Hall Cammalleri ??? Wood/Kalinin
C: Zajac Henrique Zacha Fiddler
RW: Palmieri ??? Bennett Lappin
Extra: Kalinin/Wood, DSP, Josefson

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't think Hall will get suspended. Honestly from the camera view behind Hall it didn't even seem like he was trying to lay a hit on the guy.

From behind Larsen, you can see he went into Hall head first and full speed. It was really unfortunately but I don't think it's worthy of a suspension. I just hope Larsen is okay.

My takeaways from being at the game-

Miles Wood is a joy to watch. He has unbelievable speed and seems to keep pretty good control over the puck while at top speed. The fourth line of Wood-Fiddler-Lappin is definitely working.

Taylor Hall is an amazing hockey player. I see him throw some passes that make me cringe but they end up right on the tape of another Devil's stick. His patience and hockey sense is second to none. Man we are lucky to have him.

The defense all together played a better game. That being said, the Devils were trapped in their own zone for several stretches.

Henrique looked more confident out there. He was making some moves and taking some shots. He and Palmieri seem to be waking up. Palmieri has 4 points in the last 5 games and Henrique has 2 points and is a -7 but he looks like he's trending up.

Parenteau looks awful. He's not very fast and he isn't even getting the puck on net. 13 games without a goal now?

Severson looked very good. Also nice to see he and Moore get physical and stand up for the other guys.

8-0-2 at home! This team is a joy to watch. They sure can be frustrating at times and make wins really stressful but it's fun.

Parenteau was on pace for like 40 goals or something, around the last time he scored a goal. There was no way that pace was going to last, as he's never come close to that before in his career. This is just the regression to the mean and percentages evening out.

He'll likely score a few to level it back the other way. I think expecting more than 20 goals out of him was expecting too much and he's probably on pace for around 17 or 18 right now.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
I was at that game and was there tonight. Last year wasn't as serious. There were no injuries as I recall, just farnham and tootoo getting into fights. I think Tootoo claimed Burrows said something to him about his family re alcohol. Not surprising, burrows is more human trash.

Wasn't that when Farnham fought and owned Virtanen and got chirped by Dorsett on Twitter?

I hate the Canucks and their fans, they've always had scummy players but it's never their fault.

So glad they've never won anything

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't think Lappin gets talked about much on here.

I'm not gonna go into any names, as I don't wanna start denigrating players for no reason. But there's been much more underwhelming players, that were talked about much more.

I don't think he gets enough praise on here. He's not a flashy player at all, doesn't score highlight reel goals or make any sexy plays, but he's very solid and a very good possession guy. He also rarely makes many noticeable mistakes.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Parenteau was on pace for like 40 goals or something, around the last time he scored a goal. There was no way that pace was going to last, as he's never come close to that before in his career. This is just the regression to the mean and percentages evening out.

He'll likely score a few to level it back the other way. I think expecting more than 20 goals out of him was expecting too much and he's probably on pace for around 17 or 18 right now.

the problem is when other guys aren't scoring, at least they are noticeable in some way. For example, that Palmieri hit on Fisher to lead to Henriques goal the other night. Palmieri didn't pick up a point but that goal was all him... Parenteau has been absolutely invisible for weeks. He's way too slow. Glad we claimed him as he contributed to some wins early on, but if in the next 2-3 weeks he's still not producing, I wouldn't mind waiving him or trying to find a trading partner.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I don't think Lappin gets talked about much on here.

I'm not gonna go into any names, as I don't wanna start denigrating players for no reason. But there's been much more underwhelming players, that were talked about much more.

I don't think he gets enough praise on here. He's not a flashy player at all, doesn't score highlight reel goals or make any sexy plays, but he's very solid and a very good possession guy. He also rarely makes many noticeable mistakes.

Agreed. Lappin has been great for us. He's a solid bottom six winger. Real valuable.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Wasn't that when Farnham fought and owned Virtanen and got chirped by Dorsett on Twitter?

I hate the Canucks and their fans, they've always had scummy players but it's never their fault.

So glad they've never won anything

Now that you bring this up, didn't Burrows allegedly make some comments about Tootoo in this game? I don't think it was confirmed, but some seemed to imply it was Burrows taking shots at Tootoo being of Inuit heritage. Tootoo wouldn't repeat what he said. Burrows went and denied it.

I've made friends with Canucks fans on here and followed them casually when Schneider was there. I'd root for them in the playoffs if it wasn't against the Sharks or Devils.

I don't like the direction they're trending in though, and they've added quite a few players that I don't particularly like as people. Burrows has always been *****.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I am in the minority but PAP makes a ton of subtle nifty little plays every game that goes unnoticed on here. He had a strong two shifts to start the game which led to the goal. We do not have a ton of wingers who can create room for others while controlling the puck on the perimeter, he can do that. I don't mind him at all as a gap filler this season.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
the problem is when other guys aren't scoring, at least they are noticeable in some way. For example, that Palmieri hit on Fisher to lead to Henriques goal the other night. Palmieri didn't pick up a point but that goal was all him... Parenteau has been absolutely invisible for weeks. He's way too slow. Glad we claimed him as he contributed to some wins early on, but if in the next 2-3 weeks he's still not producing, I wouldn't mind waiving him or trying to find a trading partner.

He's had some poor games of late, but I still don't think he's as bad as many people do.

Aside from Boucher, I don't think anyone else on the roster would have produced the points he has so far this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad