Jul 26, 2010
Mini comparison Doughty vs. Weber

Norris Voting

Weber: 2, 2, 3, 4, 4, 6, 7, 8
Doughty: 1, 2, 2, 3, 6, 7, 9, 10

AST

Weber: 1, 1, 3, 4
Doughty: 1, 1, 2, 2

All in all we could dive into what each of those means and their relative value, but as a whole it's very close.But Doughty has two Smythe-worthy runs, which is a really significant advantage, especially for a #1 defenseman.

There are other defensemen which Doughty could be compared to, to see how much he has risen.Maybe later if they get drafted.

We could ask ourselves whether Rod Langway is better than Doughty, to give one example.All about Langway's Hart record and what it means, but then Doughty has the playoffs advantage there too.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I just woke up. I will need an hour or two to read the thread and go to the office where i left my five-page battleplan. When you have two picks with a 22-pick gap between, you gotta choose carefully.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The next Buckaroo is used to dominating as a 2nd line pivot: Peter Forsberg, the Hart-winning 3-time 1st team all-star puck protector who plays hard in traffic, giving as good as he gets physically. The Selke runner-up backchecks and hits and thrives on intense competition. He's an Olympic hero in his home country for his impressive gold medal performance and he has been staggeringly productive in the NHL postseason with 171 points in 151 playoff games in the so-called Dead Puck Era.

upload_2018-8-1_15-18-56.jpeg
Greatest Hockey Legends said:
... an explosive skater with excellent vision... a playmaker more than a goal scorer, and he relished the physical battles. There was definitely some of Gordie Howe's magic in this Super Swede. He is proud and fierce, sometimes a little bit cocky, with a mean streak necessary to survive the NHL battles. He was also a great playoff warrior.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
This Buckaroo is the 2-time Art Ross winning 600+ goal scorer Jarome Iginla, the 3-time Hart trophy finalist who led the NHL playoffs in goals and shots on the 2004 Stanley Cup Finals run in Calgary, a team in which he led in scoring for over ten years. Nobody scored more goals in the NHL over his 5-year and 10-year peaks. One of his greatest moments was in the 2002 gold-medal game in which he scored Canada's go-ahead goal in the first period to break a 1-1 tie and then when Canada was trying to protect a 3-2 lead in the third period against a pressing USA team, Iginla scored the insurance goal that deflated the Americans and then assisted on another insurance goal to end the contest. Of course, 8 years later in the 2010 Olympics, Iggy scored the most goals in the tourney with 5 on way to another gold, with one of the best plus-minuses (+5).

Steve Muir said:
His last name means "big tree" in his Nigerian father's native language, which seems fitting for a player who is still virtually impossible to move when he plants himself in the slot. The beauty of Iginla lies in his longevity... He's relentless and punishing along the boards and a terror down low,...

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I take Frank Brimsek, G

one_brimsek01.jpg

Good night all

Reactions: ck26

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Never heard of Frank Brimsek before the ATD. Now think he's a stud. Good pick.

Iginla was just about the last useful Flame; I was looking at him in the next few rounds.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Never heard of Frank Brimsek before the ATD. Now think he's a stud. Good pick.

Iginla was just about the last useful Flame; I was looking at him in the next few rounds.

Toughest decision I had to do so far.Losing Boston sucks, but I was tired of the uncertainty of my goalie situation.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Toughest decision I had to do so far.Losing Boston sucks, but I was tired of the uncertainty of my goalie situation.

Yep, I knew taking Harvey so early would force my hand a bit on a goalie so Tretiak was a pretty easy choice in the 4th (and I knew you had to be looking at a G with one of your 2 picks). Otherwise you're picking somebody down in the 12-20 range in terms of all time greats, since the vast majority of guys are O6 goalies with a heavy slant to Montreal.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Yep, I knew taking Harvey so early would force my hand a bit on a goalie so Tretiak was a pretty easy choice in the 4th (and I knew you had to be looking at a G with one of your 2 picks). Otherwise you're picking somebody down in the 12-20 range in terms of all time greats, since the vast majority of guys are O6 goalies with a heavy slant to Montreal.

Indeed.I did consider picking in the 12-20 range, but even then it was far from a safe bet, and I like some guys more than others.

Boston, as deep as it is, was the most convenient to sacrifice for me.I also don't have Montreal any longer, so I cannot just fall back on it to pick an elite goalie.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Tony is ready with his pick then if/when RB picks/gets skipped.

I feel bad for RB.Him and I were there all evening and for some of the night waiting for VanI to wake up, then he did but had problems with his internet, I almost fell asleep but was saved by the bell and could make my pick just in time.RB wasn't so lucky.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I considered Taylor, along with another center in particular, both good value.Just didn't fit my plan.Don't you hate when that happens.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I considered Taylor, along with another center in particular, both good value.Just didn't fit my plan.Don't you hate when that happens.

Pre-NHL is sneaky deep especially when we are building or 3rd lines but I felt I could afford to burn a "deep" team to make sure I get an elite forward

Reactions: ck26

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Pre-NHL is sneaky deep especially when we are building or 3rd lines but I felt I could afford to burn a "deep" team to make sure I get an elite forward

Pre-NHL is deep.Not sure why many think O6 is its own category.The way I see it there's nine deep teams: Montreal, Detroit, Boston, NYR, Toronto, Chicago, Pre-NHL, USSR and Ottawa.Then there are the mid-level teams like Philly, LA, Edmonton, so on.Then teams with a couple of players and not much else, Pittsburgh, NYI, NJ, so on.Then you have the very weak teams like Nashville or St. Louis.Then you have Florida :laugh:

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
My
Pre-NHL is deep.Not sure why many think O6 is its own category.The way I see it there's nine deep teams: Montreal, Detroit, Boston, NYR, Toronto, Chicago, Pre-NHL, USSR and Ottawa.Then there are the mid-level teams like Philly, LA, Edmonton, so on.Then teams with a couple of players and not much else, Pittsburgh, NYI, NJ, so on.Then you have the very weak teams like Nashville or St. Louis.Then you have Florida :laugh:
I have about the same setup in my notes, but with a few teams on the margins moved around.
I notice that you didn't mention Vegas, how strong do you think they are?

Reactions: ResilientBeast

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
I'm going to do something I bet isn't going to happen very often in this format: reunite an iconic duo.
Thankfully, Ryan Suter went and played for another team, and a weak one at that.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Got my list narrowed to about 3 guys. Just mulling it over and look at who I think has the least chance of making it back around to me.....pick coming shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad