OPPF Draft 2020 - Draft Thread 2

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
food for thought.

my first instinct is i want my captain to embody the team’s playing style. that’s why trottier and langway were my two immediate candidates.

not that yzerman wasn’t hardworking or good defensively, but i built my team with more of a heavy identity, ykwim?

Up to you. I try to give the C to a guy who wore it for a long time, but that's just my preference. I see where you're coming from though.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Rounding out my 2nd pair in the 21st round.

5 x AS, he was the unquestioned #1D on a pair of Cup winners. He lost 2 full seasons to WWII, aged 26 and 27, which came directly after his 1st nod. Went into the service and was an AS again for 4 straight years. He and Rob Blake will be a particularly tough pairing to withstand over the course of a 7 game series.

Jack Stewart, D, Red Wings

1945-original-artwork-free-press_1_01eb40db5a27446552ddddb718fd1201.jpg

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I cannot think of a more lambasted as "overrated" goalie in the 1980s and 1990s than Liut.

A new coach catches on, A 100+ point future-HHOF center emerges, and Liut gets the Vezina when the team wins the division.

You couldn't give away a Liut card a year later. He simply was not respected for his team's win.

It wasn't until 2007 or so that I heard positive things about him again. The online stat generation. Seriously.

Liut has no place in a 12-team ATD of any stripe, imo.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I cannot think of a more lambasted as "overrated" goalie in the 1980s and 1990s than Liut.

A new coach catches on, A 100+ point future-HHOF center emerges, and Liut gets the Vezina when the team wins the division.

You couldn't give away a Liut card a year later. He simply was not respected for his team's win.

It wasn't until 2007 or so that I heard positive things about him again. The online stat generation. Seriously.

Liut has no place in a 12-team ATD of any stripe, imo.

Pearson (Lindsay) Trophy
Hart record: 2, 6
All-Star record: 1, 2, 3, 4
Said he "would have been recognized as the best goalie in the 80s if he played for better teams" by someone on the HOH board who was an avid hockey fan in the 80s.

"online stat generation" indeed.

(Yes, Liut was my backup plan after Joseph was taken)

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
And with Brodeur's legendary longevity and ability to handle ridiculous workloads (see how many times he started at least 70 games in a season compared to Roy/Hasek) Luit's chances of seeing the net are about as close to 0 as you can get.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
With the third-from-last pick in the 2020 One-Player-Per-Franchise Draft, the Cherry Hill Knights of Kní have decided on the following course of action...

1) Eschew the Junior-High Chemistry Project
2) Hybridize the @BenchBrawl judgement of opting for a generally superior player (q.v.: his Stastny pick) and the @tony d decision to flex a multi-positional player over to the outside (q.v.: his Brind'Amour move) in order to make space- and cash in on the options afforded by the Giroux selection back in Round 15.

Cherry Hill welcomes an infusion of Viking Power with Hall-of-Famer, Character Guy, and inarguable man among men...

Victoria Pivot-Man

iu

Frank Fredrickson- C Pre-NHL

PM to @vadim sharifijanov

Reactions: BenchBrawl

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Via PM from @VanIslander:

Portland selects Elmer Lach, C

VanIslander said:
The Hart trophy-winning (3-time finalist) pivot is "lightning" fast and an elite defensive pivot, basically Fedorov but better for longer. And with waaay better passing skill!!

000009582.jpg

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
With the third-from-last pick in the 2020 One-Player-Per-Franchise Draft, the Cherry Hill Knights of Kní have decided on the following course of action...

1) Eschew the Junior-High Chemistry Project
2) Hybridize the @BenchBrawl judgement of opting for a generally superior player (q.v.: his Stastny pick) and the @tony d decision to flex a multi-positional player over to the outside (q.v.: his Brind'Amour move) in order to make space- and cash in on the options afforded by the Giroux selection back in Round 15.

Cherry Hill welcomes an infusion of Viking Power with Hall-of-Famer, Character Guy, and inarguable man among men...

Victoria Pivot-Man

iu

Frank Fredrickson- C Pre-NHL

PM to @vadim sharifijanov

Fredrickson was good defensively too. Great center in a bottom 6 role.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Congratulation everyone! The draft is completed.

I opened an assassination thread, which I will leave open for about a week before the playoffs begin. Not sure which playoff structure we should go with, open to suggestions.

OPPF 2020 - Assassination Thread

The only two playoff structures that make sense to me:

1) The top 8 teams make the playoffs, 4 teams miss.
2) All 12 teams make the playoffs, the top 4 get byes, the bottom 8 play a preliminary round to reach the round of 8.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Note:

Everyone drafted a Flyer. That was expected. They have top-end talent from every generation of their existence (not a Philly fan myself, but I respect the history of their franchise over local rival yo-yo tank-for-superstar Pittsburgh).

Surprisingly, a couple of guys didn't take a pre-NHLer or Ottawa player. One guy didn't draft a Soviet.

Also, a bit surprising, only three of us didn't draft a Washington Capital (and I've been a HUGE Caps fan since Langway in '82... only 3, the same number as dynasty AND tanking Oilers!). Didn't see that coming. Winning the Stanley Cup recently changes a lot, I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: BenchBrawl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad