OPPF Draft 2020 - Draft Thread 2

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Let's add a strong mustache and coaching resume to the equation.

If you put a gun to my head and asked me who my preliminary #5 coach of all time is, this would be my answer.

2nd all time in wins over regular season
3rd all time in wins in the postseason
3 Cups

Joel Quenneville, coach

cut.jpg

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Nice pick. It was between Q and Day for my coach. Q has had issues with rushing Dmen though, and with Kelly as one of the most important pieces of my team I didn't want to chance it. Day found success with Gus Mortson who is described as a rusher/puck carrier.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Chicago selects David Backes, C/RW (STL)

Backes will play RW on my 4th line, so he won't be as effective defensively as if he were playing C, but will be a strong forechecker and physical presence, as well as give my team a second RHS option on faceoffs.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Nice pick. It was between Q and Day for my coach. Q has had issues with rushing Dmen though, and with Kelly as one of the most important pieces of my team I didn't want to chance it. Day found success with Gus Mortson who is described as a rusher/puck carrier.

Day was a primary target for me as well given our 2 way acumen among most F's and his old war horse, Ted Kennedy.

Was again fortunate to see Q last this long.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I'm curious about where my letters should go. I was thinking Stevens Captain, Harvey and Howe As. That make sense? Or is Harvey too drunk so it could go to Boucher?

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I'm curious about where my letters should go. I was thinking Stevens Captain, Harvey and Howe As. That make sense? Or is Harvey too drunk so it could go to Boucher?

Harvey was a great leader and teammate. So was Georges Boucher, who captained Ottawa to the SC in 1927. Howe seems in the same ballpark of leadership, as much as we can speak about such things.

You also have Gilmour as a possibility.

Stevens the clear cut captain.

Flip a coin for the A's. I'd go with your plan personally if only because Harvey and Howe are your two best players.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Just for completeness, Punch Broadbent also had great leadership abilities proven by his work in the army.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Joseph is one of those interesting cases in which according to the criteria, he is definitely a St. Louis Blue. So I get that. Yet when I picture him, it’s in either a Leafs or Oilers jersey. There are probably a few cases like this.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Harvey was a great leader and teammate. So was Georges Boucher, who captained Ottawa to the SC in 1927. Howe seems in the same ballpark of leadership, as much as we can speak about such things.

You also have Gilmour as a possibility.

Stevens the clear cut captain.

Flip a coin for the A's. I'd go with your plan personally if only because Harvey and Howe are your two best players.

i have georges boucher, so he must have frank.

but a question for my last A: between two ottawa boys, g boucher or stevie y?

i like having two letters on dmen because they are on the ice more (langway is my other A). but man, yzerman captained the wings for almost two decades.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Yzerman should be your captain IMO.

food for thought.

my first instinct is i want my captain to embody the team’s playing style. that’s why trottier and langway were my two immediate candidates.

not that yzerman wasn’t hardworking or good defensively, but i built my team with more of a heavy identity, ykwim?

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad