Opinions on Erik Karlsson's pre-game meal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
you’re probably fat or out of shape

Keto is the best way to lose weight
As someone who graduated with a degree in Dietetics.... that's not necessarily true. A combination of diet AND exercise is the best weight loss program And often a diet as extreme as keto is, can cause decreased adherence, and thus not an effective program for many.

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
I can easily lose weight while eating a ton of sugar but not a lot of food overall. If I eat a lot of food I gain weight every single time though.
Because contrary to some points being made here, the only way to lose weight is to be in a caloric deficit. You adhere to a keto diet, but over eat everyday, you ARE going to gain weight.

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
Add cream and you got yourself a true Italian Carbonara.
Even though I also prefer the cream version, there is no cream in a genuine Italian Carbonara. Only eggs, Pecorino and some pasta water.

Regarding Ketchup on pasta, it's actually quite common in Sweden to have Ketchup on pasta. At least among kids, I personally can't stand ketchup on anything.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Even though I also prefer the cream version, there is no cream in a genuine Italian Carbonara. Only eggs, Pecorino and some pasta water.

Regarding Ketchup on pasta, it's actually quite common in Sweden to have Ketchup on pasta. At least among kids, I personally can't stand ketchup on anything.
People who don't know this should hear it twice: save at least a cup of your pasta water.

Not only will it make some sauces with otherwise non-saucy ingredients but it's also a great fixer for other homemade sauces that are taking a turn. If you dump it anyway oh well, but if you ever feel the need to add moisture after do it with pasta water.

Reactions: Seiza

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016

You took the bait.

Ek6jgeF.png

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: Seiza and Jauffre

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I actually don't mind ketchup it has its place. Just not on pasta.
Ketchup is garbage. At least make a proper tomato sauce out of passata. Who on earth adds sugar to tomato?

Sorry but people who eat ketchup have no taste buds, I'm convinced.

Reactions: luiginb

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don’t see anything wrong with it, though I wouldn’t eat it. Guys have been eating pasta for pre game forever and whatever you want to throw on it is up to you. He says it himself he doesn’t recommend the way he does it or think it’s that great for you so it’s pretty clearly superstition at this point. He always looks like he’s got zero body fat so he must eat just fine with his other meals.

Carbs have been are pretty standard in athletics for pre game.

Reactions: Summer Rose

bigbadbruins1

Dec 12, 2008
red sauce, alfredo sauce, hot sauce, and ketchup.... oh don't forget the salt and pepper.

Wait... where was the ranch? they hyped up this huge plate of ranch and we only really saw hints of it in the beginning. after that it shifted to the abomination of a pasta dish...

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
red sauce, alfredo sauce, hot sauce, and ketchup.... oh don't forget the salt and pepper.

Wait... where was the ranch? they hyped up this huge plate of ranch and we only really saw hints of it in the beginning. after that it shifted to the abomination of a pasta dish...
On the plate next to the chicken.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
It always amazes me how unhealthily professional athletes can eat. You'd imagine that since this is their profession and they make millions doing it, they'd at least eat healthy and nutritious food.

What amazes me is not that the meal is unealthy - after all, he says its his only meal of the day, pre-game, so it being full of carbs probably just fuels a ton of energy for the game.

What amaze me is that he said he does that for every game. I like change, and eating the same exact meal 82 times during the year (or more if playoffs) sounds a bit annoying. I get superstitions and all, but it's not like he wins every game lol

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
What amazes me is not that the meal is unealthy - after all, he says its his only meal of the day, pre-game, so it being full of carbs probably just fuels a ton of energy for the game.

What amaze me is that he said he does that for every game. I like change, and eating the same exact meal 82 times during the year (or more if playoffs) sounds a bit annoying. I get superstitions and all, but it's not like he wins every game lol
You never met someone that eats the same stuff all the time due to being a picky eater or not liking anything? I have a brother who eats like 7 things and before he was 20 it was like 3.

They don't call Johnny Gaudreau "Johnny Ham n Cheese" for nothin.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016

This is very common. Guys like Ovechkin, Crosby, and many others does it too. They're not build like you and I, they thrive on routine. I went to a corporate event with Joel Lundqvist (brother of Hank and former Dallas Star) a few weeks ago and he talked extensively about how important it is to stick to those routines in order to function as an elite athlete. He also had his game day meal, which was rice and salmon, but this is surely something that a ton of athletes stick to in order to keep focus on more important things than deciding on what to eat.

Reactions: abo9

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Athletes who refuse to buy into the new school diets tend to crash and burn much earlier (early 30's) in their careers.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

+ guanciale (not bacon)*

Reactions: Seiza

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
did he mix alfredo sauce and marinara together on the pasta?

that might be the biggest food crime committed here

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This thread has certainly taken an interesting turn . Playoffs start in a few days, feels like this is more of a summer thread. Sorry Folks.

IMG_5331.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad