Opinions on Erik Karlsson's pre-game meal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
You made me laugh out loud.

Ok let me rephrase it.
By definition its bread. Plain simple white bread. You buy it and can toast it.
It is sould under the name of toast. Because well it is commonly toasted and eaten.
If you ask a german what toast is he will show you this:

View attachment 852142
(buttered toast)
White bread.

Now to why many germans don't consider this actual bread, even though it is by definition.
Well when we think about bread we think about sour dough bread, full wheat bread, dark bread, Komissbrot (even though nobody calls it that here) and so on. We are not that into white wheat breads. They are seen as unhealthy and associated with mass production (this does not include baguette and various other white bread types from italy).

Basically if a bread looks similar to this:

View attachment 852145

or this

View attachment 852146

Its conssidered real bread. Of course the personal preference also plays a role.

But overall white bread thats shaped like wonderbread is associated with unhealthy massproduced food.
Which doesn't mean that every white bread is considered Bad. Only the shape 😅
Ok, that is informative.

My family is from Northern Ireland. And they would call a package of sliced bread "pan loaf".

But.............

In North America, toasted bread is........bread that has been heated in a toaster.

Freakin' wild to thing about eh?

And I would go ahead and "toast" the most incredible bread on the earth by inserting it into a toaster, which toasts bread.

This whole thing is messed up and suits this thread.

No way Karlsson eats that shit every day, I think it's an actual joke and he got us.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
It always amazes me how unhealthily professional athletes can eat. You'd imagine that since this is their profession and they make millions doing it, they'd at least eat healthy and nutritious food.
They're still people who enjoy pleasure. Not everyone needs to be a broccoli and plain rice masochist.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Keto diet is probably the stupidest fad I have ever seen. It's always the dudes with 0 discipline and work ethic trying to find a shortcut (that doesn't even work) just to feel some sense of accomplishment without actually doing anything.

But for guys who are in elite physical shape, a high carb diet pre-game will do wonders. Lots of fast digesting carbs or sugars >>>
If nothing else the keto diet will be excess calories and junk out of your diet. You basically end up eating meat and veggies which is probably much better than what they are before when it was meat veggies cake ice cream fried lard and Cheetos

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
If nothing else the keto diet will be excess calories and junk out of your diet. You basically end up eating meat and veggies which is probably much better than what they are before when it was meat veggies cake ice cream fried lard and Cheetos
Keto diet is basically getting "easy calories" from fat while eating almost no protein and carbs. It's dumb, sure you may lose weight, but you're going to lose a lot of muscle mass. Even if someone isn't trying to be a pro athlete, it's just horrible nutritional value. It's a very lazy way to drop weight. Instead of losing weight, focus should be on reducing excess fat while maintaining/building muscle.

Reactions: My3Sons

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Ive been a chef for a decade now and I find it hilarious that a multi-millionnaire would eat like this. He's basically eating the same food I was as a 12 years old cooking for myself.
Fast digesting carbs, while you're shredded (aka low fat/low fuel) are a must for explosive sports like hockey. If it was a guy like Kessel or Maroon eating that pre-game, yeah that's horrible.

When someone truly understands nutrition and how to use it as a tool, even foods that are traditionally considered "bad" can be phenomenal. White rice, potatoes, spaghetti, pasta, if you're in peak shape can be amazing for your body if you are playing a high paced competitive sport.

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
Keto diet is basically getting "easy calories" from fat while eating almost no protein and carbs. It's dumb, sure you may lose weight, but you're going to lose a lot of muscle mass. Even if someone isn't trying to be a pro athlete, it's just horrible nutritional value. It's a very lazy way to drop weight. Instead of losing weight, focus should be on reducing excess fat while maintaining/building muscle.
Why would Keto be low in protein? You can consume basically all animal products

Of course you will lose fat with lower insulin spikes and have a healthy amount of muscle easily. If you want to be a gym bro in excess then no, not everyone needs to bench 3 plates it's pointless for most people

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Fast digesting carbs, while you're shredded (aka low fat/low fuel) are a must for explosive sports like hockey. If it was a guy like Kessel or Maroon eating that pre-game, yeah that's horrible.

When someone truly understands nutrition and how to use it as a tool, even foods that are traditionally considered "bad" can be phenomenal. White rice, potatoes, spaghetti, pasta, if you're in peak shape can be amazing for your body if you are playing a high paced competitive sport.
I know a lot about nutrition. He doesn't have to eat shitty tasting food if he wants to have good nutrition.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Karlsson pre-game chow certainly explains his defensive play. Holy f***.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I know a lot about nutrition. He doesn't have to eat shitty tasting food if he wants to have good nutrition.
Maybe he just likes the taste ? But my guess is he wants the carbs pre-game. I have weird preferences for food too lol my brothers always like why do you eat that shit, but I genuinely enjoy the shit out of eggs, I'll have them for dinner sometimes LOL.

I thought it was more like 70 Fat, 25 protein which is decent. Good enough for sedentary people

Although I don't believe it's ideal good to get some fruits in there
I believe it's a lot closer to 10-15 protein, which is pretty horrendous even for the average person.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Keto diet is basically getting "easy calories" from fat while eating almost no protein and carbs.
Incorrect.

Keto is carb restriction.

There are many ketogenic diets. High protein or high fat. Depends on the person and activity level

Reactions: authentic

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
Maybe he just likes the taste ? But my guess is he wants the carbs pre-game. I have weird preferences for food too lol my brothers always like why do you eat that shit, but I genuinely enjoy the shit out of eggs, I'll have them for dinner sometimes LOL.

I believe it's a lot closer to 10-15 protein, which is pretty horrendous even for the average person.
Ketogenic implies breaking down fatty acids as well as Amino acids, so it can be 50 50 if you desire.

If people are doing 15 percent protein they must be slurping down oil or doing something weird

I never realized 80% of HF posters were dietitians. Can someone tell me what Karlsson should eat to prevent him from passing the puck to the other team 10 feet away from his goalie? Grapefruit?
Unfortunately he suffers from Pasta induced dunning Kruger and thinks he's the best defenseman in the world. Leading to risky plays. He should consult with Mackinnon

Reactions: MCR74

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
It's not that weird. If you have ever tried a meatball sub with a creamy dressing (mayo, ranch, caeser, etc) it's solid.

He takes it a bit too far, but it's not that gross, just unsavoury behaviour is all.

Another thing that is really good is processed peanut butter (think Kraft) on a bacon cheeseburger. But it's not like you flaunt it.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Keto diet is probably the stupidest fad I have ever seen. It's always the dudes with 0 discipline and work ethic trying to find a shortcut (that doesn't even work) just to feel some sense of accomplishment without actually doing anything.

But for guys who are in elite physical shape, a high carb diet pre-game will do wonders. Lots of fast digesting carbs or sugars >>>

Keto usually works well for people who don't come from traditional athletic backgrounds, who haven't had to learn to manipulate their diet/training.

Most food people binge on is either carbs, sugar, or fat mixed with sugar. While fat is more calorie dense, you don't hear about someone sitting there binging on spoonfuls of butter.

The reason it works for those types of people is because it's a hard and fast rule that is easy to follow and draws a hard line in the sand to eliminate the kind of sugar/carbs they usually overeat on.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
You really shouldn’t eat the rice. Way too indulgent and loaded with carbs.
Eh, nothing wrong with carbs.

The point is EK is eating something that he enjoys. Even pro athletes need to indulge. Strict diets are just socially acceptable eating disorders anyway. Some extra sauce is not gonna make a difference in the long run.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Eh, nothing wrong with carbs.

The point is EK is eating something that he enjoys. Even pro athletes need to indulge. Strict diets are just socially acceptable eating disorders anyway. Some extra sauce is not gonna make a difference in the long run.
I was being silly. I just meant to make light of eating broccoli and rice as miserable.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Lol who told you that? Not sure you realize but Italy has the highest life expectancy in the world.
1713230838892.png

Probably unironically thinks gluten kills you, lol

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
I feel sorry for that pasta, those toppings are just cruel. Ketchup on pasta? really? But who I am, to argue with a norris winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad