Speculation: Opinions on bringing Cullen back?

Bring Cullen Back?

• Total voters

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
I want him as 4LW ready to step in as 4C if Sheahan or the new 3C gets hurt.

I don't think I want him as a 4C behind Sheahan.

Reactions: Nakawick

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Bringing Cullen back locks in Sheahan as the third line center. If nothing else is available I guess I take it. Not ideal at all though.

I'll disagree with this thought. Even if it isn't Cullen. Say it's a Pleks type player or a vet similar to Cullen. Here is how you do it:

- Sheahan/Cully basically split 3C/4C duties, PK, and we double shift Sid/Geno 1x per period.
- Sheahan/Hags and Cully/Rust on PK. This takes Sid off PK faceoff and PK duties.
- As soon as PP is over, Cullen takes the shift with Hags/whomever to keep the offense going. Sheahan is too defensive.
- Depending on the style of game, give Sheahan or Cully more minutes.
- At the end of the game we have Sheahan, Cully, and Sid to take draws. Pretty good.

So while it's not traditional, you can split their time and give them opportunity based zone starts. It will help Cully. It will help Sheahan. It will give Sid/Geno the proper usage (PP/5 on 5).

Sid - 19 mins
Geno - 19 mins
Sheahan - 11 mins
Cully - 11 mins

It's minor outside the box thinking but it gives us the ability to be versatile while keeping our identity. Right now Rowney/Reaves/Kuhn are not permitting us to do so.

Reactions: catdaddy

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I'll disagree with this thought. Even if it isn't Cullen. Say it's a Pleks type player or a vet similar to Cullen. Here is how you do it:

- Sheahan/Cully basically split 3C/4C duties, PK, and we double shift Sid/Geno 1x per period.
- Sheahan/Hags and Cully/Rust on PK. This takes Sid off PK faceoff and PK duties.
- As soon as PP is over, Cullen takes the shift with Hags/whomever to keep the offense going. Sheahan is too defensive.
- Depending on the style of game, give Sheahan or Cully more minutes.
- At the end of the game we have Sheahan, Cully, and Sid to take draws. Pretty good.

So while it's not traditional, you can split their time and give them opportunity based zone starts. It will help Cully. It will help Sheahan. It will give Sid/Geno the proper usage (PP/5 on 5).

Sid - 19 mins
Geno - 19 mins
Sheahan - 11 mins
Cully - 11 mins

It's minor outside the box thinking but it gives us the ability to be versatile while keeping our identity. Right now Rowney/Reaves/Kuhn are not permitting us to do so.

Yeah, I'm of a similar mind. Bringing Cullen in to the mix [for cheap] gives us a lot of options to mix things up, and his offensive ability allows you to play him with Kessel at ES. He has the finish to his game that Sheahan lacks. I like Sheahan more than you because I have found his playmaking and vision to be a lot better than advertised, so he can make linemates (who mesh with him) better offensively, and you don't have to worry about him much defensively. I wish he blocked more shots, but blocking shots also leads to being on crutches in the SCF ala Bonino last year.

He's a big upgrade on Rowney though, make no mistake.

Reactions: ColePens

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
If JR can somehow swing Cullen and another center, whether that's long term 3C solution or just a stop gap like Pleks, I'd be happy. Start out Cullen at wing and move to center if there are injuries and mid game for DZone draws and match ups. He can certainly bring value, but I'd prefer if he wasn't JR's solution at center.

Reactions: catdaddy

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
As a short term get to the playoffs and go into playoffs It should be a great idea. Nate Prosser went down and Cole for Cullen could help Minny even though he isn't a right hand d. No brainer, low cost influx of life and heart for both teams and players. Cole might even sign there under the right circumstances.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
Haven't really watched him but him being a healthy scratch from time to time doesn't inspire confidence. But if he's cheap maybe there's a chance that there's just some kind of magic between Cullen & Pittsburgh. Put me in the "meh" category.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I would walk away quickly and not look back once if Cole is the cost. He'll be much more useful down the stretch than Cullen, IMO. He's easily been one of their best defensemen since he came off his benching.

Though I understand his contract (and coach) situation and why that might seem like a logical piece to move.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
true....but he would be welcome in the room.

If you can get him for absurdly cheap for vet leadership/backup, then go for it. I'd not be opposed if it was a late round pick or future considerations or lost cause AHL player or whatever.

But I really think that the people clamoring for him to come back should watch some Minny games with open eyes before being so sure that he'll cure anything.

Reactions: Shady Machine

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I would walk away quickly and not look back once if Cole is the cost. He'll be much more useful down the stretch than Cullen, IMO. He's easily been one of their best defensemen since he came off his benching.

Though I understand his contract (and coach) situation and why that might seem like a logical piece to move.

Good lord, would that be an overpayment. I'd hope that if they're going to move Cole, they at least move him for a better return than that.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Good lord, would that be an overpayment. I'd hope that if they're going to move Cole, they at least move him for a better return than that.

Yeah. Even earlier-this-season Cole would be too steep, IMO. Cullen would be fine on the very cheap as a vet leader and all that happy horseshit. And though I know he hasn't been good this year, I still think he might be able to help in the postseason after some rest and limited minutes until then.

But I was thinking, like... a late round pick, considerations, or a project prospect. MAYBE a combination of a couple of those. That's it. He wouldn't be enough to solidify the kind of third line the Penguins seem to want so I see no reason to pay out the nose.

Reactions: HandshakeLin

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm going to ask another question based on the poll: if Minnesota wants fair value for Cullen (a 3rd round pick or so), do you want Cullen back? Or does he basically have to be free for you to want to bring him back?

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Meh. Unless the 3C hunt goes really south and we're stuck with Sheahan, I don't see why we would need another 4C.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Cullen for Hunwick. If they will take his contract that helps us on two fronts. Brodins out, so adding a depth defensemen may appeal to them.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I'm going to ask another question based on the poll: if Minnesota wants fair value for Cullen (a 3rd round pick or so), do you want Cullen back? Or does he basically have to be free for you to want to bring him back?

How on earth is a 3rd fair value for a 41 year old vet whose play is rapidly dropping, though? If there was a desperate need for veteran leadership around the league, maybe a bidding war would drive it that high, I guess? I just don't see it.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Cullen for Hunwick. If they will take his contract that helps us on two fronts. Brodins out, so adding a depth defensemen may appeal to them.

This kind of move is a possibility, though, if we need to clear cap space to swing another trade, but I'd still say that's a bit high just to move Hunwick's salary.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'd love to have Cullen back, but if JR's going to peddle that as the solution to our center problem, he's just taking a big shit at center ice and calling it PF Chang's.

Take a bite, everyone! It tastes like compromise and disappointment.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
How on earth is a 3rd fair value for a 41 year old vet whose play is rapidly dropping, though? If there was a desperate need for veteran leadership around the league, maybe a bidding war would drive it that high, I guess? I just don't see it.

I think a 3rd for a rental 4th line center is pretty close to fair value, based on the Goc trade. You have Wild fans asking for even more than that :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
This kind of move is a possibility, though, if we need to clear cap space to swing another trade, but I'd still say that's a bit high just to move Hunwick's salary.

*looks at Hunwick's cap chart*

Dude is signed until 2020, somehow.

I'd trade him for an Isaly's chipped chopped ham sandwich.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I think a 3rd for a rental 4th line center is pretty close to fair value. You have Wild fans asking for even more than that :laugh:

Fans are idiots, though. We know this from the trade board. :laugh:

I think the question isn't what fair value is for a 4th line center, but honestly, how good is Cullen as a 4th line center anymore?

And the second related issue is, whether Cullen as he currently is, is worth more than exploring younger, cheaper and more long term options in WB/S or trades?

Still Apps

The New Gig
Jan 10, 2012
Home
If J.R. is somehow able to get that elusive 3C then I'd love to get Cullen on the cheap as insurance that we don't end up with Rowney centering a line in the playoffs because of an injury.

If J.R. can't come up with a legit 3C in a deal I'd still prefer Cullen as a better option than doing nothing.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I like the Cole-Oleksiak combo and as we know Cole is proven commidity here in the playoffs. Hunwick makes $2.25 mil I believe, And while he's not a bad defensemen, I don't think he fits in here. I don't like healthy scratching a player who makes that amount of money night in and night out. With the money we'd save in such a move we could find a cheaper alternative. It would also keep Sully from putting Hunwick in if Cole has a couple of poor performances.

Reactions: HandshakeLin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad