Speculation: Opinions on bringing Cullen back?

Bring Cullen Back?

• Total voters

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This has been discussed a lot, but I don't think we have a consensus on the opinions on bringing Cullen back yet. What are your opinions of bringing Cullen back? I think the consensus is "meh", but I'm not actually sure about this.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Yes if he's cheap, but we got bigger problems then a 4LW. He should be last for this team to get because he's going to be on the 4th line LW although can help with defensive responsibilities.

3C
defensive depth incase of injuries
4LW

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I am 100% in favor of bringing back Cullen and would absolutely love Pittsburgh to do this. I highly doubt he would be expensive, especially if Minny is firmly in the "seller" category. I think he was the Penguins biggest loss out of everyone that left this past off-season.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Yes if he's cheap, but we got bigger problems then a 4LW. He should be last for this team to get because he's going to be on the 4th line LW although can help with defensive responsibilities.

3C
defensive depth incase of injuries
4LW
Why are you placing him at the 4LW position? He's a primary center, and 4C is where he'd be ideal.

Honestly, in my perfect scenario, him and Sheahan split time at center and play a "3.5C" role, if you get what I mean.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
If he can't 3C it really doesn't make much sense unless he came at almost zero cost for depth.
I've floated the idea of him playing a "3.5C" role, where him and Sheahan split time between 3C and 4C, depending on the opponent, game scenario, and roster. Cullen is one of the most versatile players in the league, for my money. Adept in any place in the lineup you need him. Including special teams, and faceoffs.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Why are you placing him at the 4LW position? He's a primary center, and 4C is where he'd be ideal.

Honestly, in my perfect scenario, him and Sheahan split time at center and play a "3.5C" role, if you get what I mean.

Where else would he go? he would rotate with Sheahan on the 4th line. We need a 3C, not Sheahan at 3C.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I think I’m in between the first two options. Not to be our 3C but he can play on the 4th line as a winger and PK centre.

That means no need for Rowney or Kuhnhackl and the 3C we get doesn’t have to PK which may open up more options.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
He's played a ton of hockey the past two seasons. That's my biggest concern with him coming back. Still, if it's a late draft pick I wouldn't care as long as he replaces Rowney.

Reactions: SirBrad

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Where else would he go? he would rotate with Sheahan on the 4th line. We need a 3C, not Sheahan at 3C.
Well, like I said, I think he and Sheahan could do a 3.5C type of deal. The only current issue with this is that our 4th line is bogged down with Reaves and Kuhnhackl, and that would give the 4th line more ice time than I'd be comfortable with.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
If he's cheap to play 4LW, thats awesome. If it's to play 3C why bother, because we aren't getting past Tampa with that and may not even get that far.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Well, like I said, I think he and Sheahan could do a 3.5C type of deal. The only current issue with this is that our 4th line is bogged down with Reaves and Kuhnhackl, and that would give the 4th line more ice time than I'd be comfortable with.
Rather just roll a Cullen-Sheahan-Rust line, but get that 3C first. Sheahan needs to be 4C, not 3.5C or even 3C.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Rather just roll a Cullen-Sheahan-Rust line, but get that 3C first. Sheahan needs to be 4C, not 3.5C or even 3C.
Fair enough. Sheahan seems to be finding his game though, so he may be okay for the 3C spot moving forward. I do agree with you though, He's ideally a 4C, and Cullen is ideally a 4C as well.

However, if it comes down to acquiring Cullen at a cheap cost + squeezing him in the bottom 6, or overpaying for a different center for 3C, I'd take the former.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I can understand the concerns. He's played a ton of hockey, especially for an older player. He probably wouldn't REALLY "solve" the 3C issue. But, as much as it might cause some of us to roll our eyes... he's extremely well loved by this team and can still play a little.

I'd take him back for the right price, yeah.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I'd bring him back, and immediately give him a month off to take a break and get his body right for the playoffs if he needed it. His TOI has been low this year overall, but all that travel from Minny could be tough on an older guy.

One thing I don't like about bringing him in is the 700k poison pill incentive in his contract that I assume would roll to our cap next year if we go deep into the playoffs. Sure, the one and done Wild didn't expect to pay much of that, but if we make a deep run, we'd be on the hook. I mean, it's not a lot, but we're a cap team.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Hockeygod66

Mar 25, 2007
Bringing Cullen back locks in Sheahan as the third line center. If nothing else is available I guess I take it. Not ideal at all though.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
As 4th line LW and 5th Center only, would have to bring in another 3/4 center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad