Speculation: Opinions on bringing Cullen back?

Bring Cullen Back?

• Total voters

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
My worry about Sheahan is that he's not a very physical Bones and Cullen. Playmakers who are weak are usually more likely to disappear in the playoffs. The capitals have suffered that for years. Backs and Kuz etc.
FTFY.

Bones nor Cullen have great shots. But both can play physical, so when the whistles get swallowed in the playoffs they keep going. I honestly can see Sheahan getting eaten alive.

Last edited:

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
If he is available and the price is right (super cheap), then I'd bring him back for another run. Problem is, it doesn't solve the 3C issue.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
Regardless of how much his play has slipped, I find it doubtful that he still wouldn't be an upgrade on Rowney.

And if we could play him and Sheahan a combination of about 24 minutes a game, Sid and Geno can go back to a more reasonable 18ish each, rather than this recent 20+ nonsense, keeping them fresher. Rowney or Dea getting 6 to 8 minutes is a huge burden on the top centers.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
My worry about Sheahan is that he's not a very good goal scorer unlike Bones and Cullen. Playmakers with weak shots are usually more likely to disappear in the playoffs. The capitals have suffered that for years. Backs and Kuz etc.

Sheahan doesn't have a weak shot, he has an unwillingness to shoot. That's his big issue, he actually has a hard and accurate shot. You need more than that to score goals in the NHL, though.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I think it would be fitting to have him in the lineup when we attempt a three peat - simply from a purest perspective. Also, while he may look done in Minny (where he's got family obligations, etc) - a one-time change of scenery where things become entirely set around work and a goal might change that. I think he would slot nicely back here. I absolutely miss his behind the net play and faceoff ability.

It shouldn't cost a thing to get him though, unless Minny is WC1 or WC2 and they have mixed feelings about it. Then I think I'd go a late pick or something along those lines. Regardless, this can't be the only move. If it's Cullen for 4C and we leave Sheahan at 3C - that means we need another good power forward in the lineup.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
If what Russo says is true, sure i'd take him back...
And then go after Kane or a Ranger winger...

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Would NY even deal JT Miller to us? A lot of NY fans would be happy with a package around Sprong - and so would I. We've got young wings - we don't have young C's... seems like a logical trade.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Lol a poster recently told me this board doesn’t talk about Cullen all that often.

Bring him back to play for Kuhnhackl, fine. But we don’t need Cullen and Sheahan as both are 4th line centers. Unless he plays strictly 4C or 4LW, there is no need. These players know how to win, they don’t need him for leadership.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Sheahan doesn't have a weak shot, he has an unwillingness to shoot. That's his big issue, he actually has a hard and accurate shot. You need more than that to score goals in the NHL, though.

Sheahan's shooting pct. over the last 134 games is 3.4%. That includes empty net goals and goalie-error goals as well. If "hard & accurate" translates to 3.4%, what would constitute inaccurate?!?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Sheahan's shooting pct. over the last 134 games is 3.4%. That includes empty net goals and goalie-error goals as well. If "hard & accurate" translates to 3.4%, what would constitute inaccurate?!?

What a surprise, you're including Sheahan's 2016-2017 season to tear him down again. I'm utterly shocked, considering the past agendas you've shown. I can't believe this!

Sheahan is shooting at 6.3% with the Penguins I believe. Why not just look at that number? Well, of course everyone knows why you're not looking at that number.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
What a surprise, you're including Sheahan's 2016-2017 season to tear him down again. I'm utterly shocked, considering the past agendas you've shown. I can't believe this!

Sheahan is shooting at 6.3% with the Penguins I believe. Why not just look at that number? Well, of course everyone knows why you're not looking at that number.

Alright, we'll stick to Pens-only since he never shot a puck before that.

6.3%, all situations.
4.8%, non empty-net goals.
3.3%, non empty-net, non goalie-error goals.

Hard & accurate since 10/24/2017.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Anyone who believe that Sheahan's sub 2% shooting percentage in his last 100 odd games with Detroit is really him and not one of the weirder statistically anomalies seen recently in hockey should go find a good bookmaker and place a lot of money on him repeating it, as the odds would be pretty damn good.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Alright, we'll stick to Pens-only since he never shot a puck before that.

6.3%, all situations.
4.8%, non empty-net goals.
3.3%, non empty-net, non goalie-error goals.

Hard & accurate since 10/24/2017.

And he's shooting at 0.0% on shots that don't go in, wow! He must truly suck!

It's really sad that you actually believe the agenda drenched nonsense that you post. Seriously, you think manipulating stats to show "non empty net and goalie error shooting%" is an actual legitimate stat? Seriously?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

I think his release is slow and telegraphed, but I agree his shot has good velocity.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

It's really sad that you actually believe the agenda drenched nonsense that you post. Seriously, you think manipulating stats to show "non empty net and goalie error shooting%" is an actual legitimate stat? Seriously?

Just stick with the 6.3% then. Still pretty bad.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just stick with the 6% then. Still pretty bad.

Yeah it's not good, I wasn't arguing otherwise. My comment was how asinine it was to blatantly adjust stats just because you don't like a guy.

I agree with your assessment in the post right before this, and I'd add he's also not good at getting himself into positions to score goals. He's the anti-Neal in those two traits. He's not a good goal scorer, he'll likely finish around 8-10 goals in a season at this point.

Reactions: Shady Machine

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA

When someone only has 4 goals to speak of this season, assigning context to them isn't a difficult endeavor. Happy to help out. Cheer up!

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Anyone who believe that Sheahan's sub 2% shooting percentage in his last 100 odd games with Detroit is really him and not one of the weirder statistically anomalies seen recently in hockey should go find a good bookmaker and place a lot of money on him repeating it, as the odds would be pretty damn good.

If he wasn't gifted an empty net goal and goalie-error goal his shooting pct. this season would be 3%, and thus quite similar to last season. He seems to have a very difficult time scoring goals with goalies in the net both last season and this season.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
If he wasn't gifted an empty net goal and goalie-error goal his shooting pct. this season would be 3%, and thus quite similar to last season. He seems to have a very difficult time scoring goals with goalies in the net both last season and this season.

Even when he gets a clean look, he chest snipes. I think he's a great 3.5C. I like whoever created that term. He's defensively solid-ish, great faceoff guy for us, and is, IMO, one of the best 4Cs in the league. But definitely not an every day 3C. He's a 3.5.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Sheahan gets way too many points for him to not be considered a 3C. He scores goals like a 3.5C, but he's on pace for over 30 points with the Penguins. Those are firmly 3C numbers. He's not an everyday 3C for the Penguins because he's a bad fit for who would be on his line (and he has started to look better with them recently, so maybe that can change), but he's definitely a 3C caliber player.

The way I look at it is the only thing that's keeping Sheahan from being a great 3rd line center is goal scoring. Him being a bad goal scorer doesn't take him from a great 3C to "not an everyday 3C". Sheahan is on pace for 34 points with the Penguins while not getting powerplay time. Those numbers are way too high for a 3.5C.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
In a game transitioning to all speed, skill, goal scoring - being a slower defensive minded center with goal scoring problems is quite the trick. He's not slow in the sense that he looks like Rowney or Craig Adams, but he really lacks explosiveness. He makes Sutter look like a speed demon who has more heart than him.

One thing that really worked well for Bones being slow, he knew how to catch up to the game with skill (hands/passing/scoring) and defensive urgency (shot blocking was insanely good).

I'd be interested to see who would win in a race between Sheahan and Bones.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Even when he gets a clean look, he chest snipes. I think he's a great 3.5C. I like whoever created that term. He's defensively solid-ish, great faceoff guy for us, and is, IMO, one of the best 4Cs in the league. But definitely not an every day 3C. He's a 3.5.
You're welcome :)

Reactions: ColePens

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
I would love the Cullen we had last playoff run back, sure. Thing is who here has really watched more then just a game or two of him playing this season? Forty something hockey players tend to fall off a cliff at the end of their career. If Cullen hasn't gone off the edge yet and has enough legs left for one more run and is cheap, sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->