Speculation: Opening Night Roster

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Yeah, that has been what everyone has sort of expected since the comments to date suggest he's the odd man out. Will anyone want him at his salary though? He had no takers during free agency so Holland was able to sign him after free agency started last summer. The only time he hasn't looked like a tire fire has been when he was paired with DeKeyser and he's unlikely to get that security blanket during this upcoming season.

I think it's all a moot point since Franzen will probably never suit up again. However that doesn't really do anything for the log jam on defense. With Green pretty much guaranteed to play alongside DeKeyser there really isn't a spot for Quincey outside of being paired with Smith, and we already know what a disaster that pairing is based on previous history.

Franzen were interviewed by the Swedish papers a couple of week back. He'll be ready by October.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Franzen were interviewed by the Swedish papers a couple of week back. He'll be ready by October.

Damn, that really makes things interesting then.

Z-Pavs-Abdelkader
Goose-Richards-Tatar
Helm-Sheahan-Franzen
Miller-Glendening-Jurco

Is what I'd expect the team to role with. Maybe that looks too Babcockian, but again, I don't know what Blash is thinking and planning.

We can probably assume Pavs and Hank are on the top line and the second line is what we'll start with in October. Everything else seems sort of wide open.

The other question is: With Pookie, Joker, Lando, and Kindl as scratches, that should put us with one too many players on the roster meaning someone will have to be scratched.(Probably Ferraro, though I'd rather Andersson over Ferraro if I had to pick.)

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Like SirKillalot said, there's a Franzen interview from right around the draft: http://www.tranastidning.se/article/franzen-gor-sig-redo-for-sin-elfte-nhl-sasong/

-I'm having another go now, if I have another injury, then that might be the end. But right now I'm positive, I can work out hard, I have some setbacks but a little rest makes them go away.

Earlier in the spring you said in an interview that it was hard to even play with your kids?

-There were two months where I couldn't get out of bed. But when the playoffs started I could be on the ice and it felt like if we advanced to the second round I could've played. In hindsight I couldn't have, I still had headaches, but it was trending in the right direction and I was working out hard every day.

You're 36, you've won the Stanley Cup, World Champs and played ten seasons in the NHL. What is still motivating you?

-You wanna retire on your own terms, I wanna feel that I have nothing more to give. Right now I feel very fresh. I feel that my body has more to give. When we're having physical tests I'm always at the top, my body wants more.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
Man, we just have to give real respect to Mule. He is a warrior.

He's pretty stupid too if he's going to play and he still is having symptoms. He needs to retire for his health. Play beer league if he must, but NHL it's too dangerous for his health.

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
He's pretty stupid too if he's going to play and he still is having symptoms. He needs to retire for his health. Play beer league if he must, but NHL it's too dangerous for his health.

I'm assuming if he still has symptoms they won't let him play and figuring at the point and time he was doing the interview he realized he was still 2-3 months out. We will find out a lot more at training camp.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
both franzen and the organization really need to sit down and think long and hard about this

if he has any symptoms, any at all, then retire already and get a spot within the organization on either side of the pond

its not worth risking your long term health to maybe, maybe, play another two seasons with that cloud hanging over you that any bad contact could spell serious trouble

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Zeta - Dats - Akader
Mule - Richards - Nyquist
Tatar - Sheahan - Pulu
Jurco - Helm - Glendy
(Andersson, Ferraro)

Miller traded.

That's insane depth imo. Stanley Cup caliber.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Zeta - Dats - Akader
Mule - Richards - Nyquist
Tatar - Sheahan - Pulu
Jurco - Helm - Glendy
(Andersson, Ferraro)

Miller traded.

That's insane depth imo. Stanley Cup caliber.

That's a pretty beautiful line-up, though I'm not sure if Franzen should be allowed to play hockey.

Even with Franzen LTIR'd...

Zeta - Dats - Akader
Tatar - Richards - Nyquist
Jurco - Sheahan - Pulu
Miller - Helm - Glendy
(Andersson, Ferraro)

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
How's the cap work if Franzen is back? Doesn't that make it almost a complete necessity to trade one of our more expensive d-men? And let Pulks go? Or Jurco?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
How's the cap work if Franzen is back? Doesn't that make it almost a complete necessity to trade one of our more expensive d-men? And let Pulks go? Or Jurco?

From salary cap thread

Here is a list of our most likely lineup with salary cap numbers for this year.

Zetterberg(6.083)-Datsyuk(7.50)-Abdelkader(1.80)
Tatar(2.75)-Richards(3.0)-Nyquist(4.75)
Pulkkinen(~0.900???)-Sheahan(0.95)-Helm(2.125)
Miller(1.350)-Glendenning(0.628)-Jurco(~0.950???)

Franzen (3.954), Andersson(0.815), Ferraro(0.600)

Kronwall(4.75)-Ericsson(4.25)
Dekeyser(2.188)-Green(6.00)
Smith(2.75)-Quincey(4.25)
Kindl(2.40)

Howard(5.292)
Mrazek(0.738)

2014-15 Bonus overage - (0.740)
Weiss buyout - (1.067)

So, here are our possible scenarios:

Salary Cap = 71.4 M For mostly likely 14 Forwards; 7 Defensemen; 2 Goalies (and other costs)

1) Franzen Returns, Ferraro Waived: 71.98 M (OVER THE CAP)(TRADE REQUIRED)

2) Franzen LTIR: 68.625 M (UNDER THE CAP)

On the assumption Franzen can return.

If we Waive Kindl (-0.925K) add XO (+0.67K)

We get 71.98 down to 71.725 and thus simply pushing Kindl to the AHL, does not give us enough breathing room.

There is a conclusion here: We actually need to TRADE away Kindl/Quincey/Miller to get the room for Franzen. We cannot simply Demote someone to the AHL.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
From salary cap thread

Datsyuk being out to start the year gives Holland time to figure this out during the season, even if Franzen returns.

So while we're all waiting for something to happen, and it eventually will, I think we all know it's not like Holland to move any pieces before he absolutely has to. He's probably going to let everybody compete for jobs in the NHL, ask Blashill who stays and who goes, and then work from there.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Datsyuk being out to start the year gives Holland time to figure this out during the season, even if Franzen returns.

So while we're all waiting for something to happen, and it eventually will, I think we all know it's not like Holland to move any pieces before he absolutely has to. He's probably going to let everybody compete for jobs in the NHL, ask Blashill who stays and who goes, and then work from there.

This.

Holland won't force a move and having Datsyuk out will buy him the time that he needs to wait out an opportunity. After a few weeks, some time will take an unfotnate injury or their team will not live up to their training camp expectations and Holland will have move leverage to make a trade and clear space when Datsyuk is ready. Otherwisez he'll be happy to hold on to his depth and wait it out.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
This.

Holland won't force a move and having Datsyuk out will buy him the time that he needs to wait out an opportunity. After a few weeks, some time will take an unfotnate injury or their team will not live up to their training camp expectations and Holland will have move leverage to make a trade and clear space when Datsyuk is ready. Otherwisez he'll be happy to hold on to his depth and wait it out.

And while normally I'm dying for Holland to be more aggressive, this is the right play going into this year. Give Blashill time to work with his new squad, let the cream rise to the top, and then cut ties with the spare parts once they've had a chance to show their worth.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
Hey flames fan here. Do you guys have any interest in Wideman? Obviously flames would be taking cap back because I know you guys don't have much cap space

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Hey flames fan here. Do you guys have any interest in Wideman? Obviously flames would be taking cap back because I know you guys don't have much cap space

Wings have basically zero cap space unless Franzen "retires." Kindl or Quincey have to go back, at minimum.

That out of the way, Wideman fits a need (top 4 RH defender) assuming the price isn't too high. The Wings won't overpay to back themselves against the wall with the cap. Not Holland's style.

Actual Thought*

both franzen and the organization really need to sit down and think long and hard about this

if he has any symptoms, any at all, then retire already and get a spot within the organization on either side of the pond

its not worth risking your long term health to maybe, maybe, play another two seasons with that cloud hanging over you that any bad contact could spell serious trouble

He has to be cleared to play by doctors who are much more informed than fans.

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
I thought we had to be cap compliant by a October 1st, and that still counts Datsyuk and Franzen on IR. I thought you can't put them on IR till after that deadline aka the pronger situation in Philly. They still had to count his cap hit and couldn't IR him until after a certain date.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Id love us to move Kindl ++ for Wideman. Maybe we could do something like Kindl + Miller + 2nd for Wideman. Hard to say. I dont know what the value is for Wideman but I would love him on our back end with Green/Kronwall/Quincy/DDK/Smith. Getting there in cap space would be the hard part.

I hope we line up somewhat like this

Zett - Dats - Ab
Tatar - Sheahan - Helm
Nyquist - Richards - Franzen
Jurco - Glendenning - Pulkinnen

Andersson - Miller - Ferraro.

We just have too many forwards at the moment. We will have to move someone. Ferraro is almost guaranteed to be waived at this stage as well.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
Id love us to move Kindl ++ for Wideman. Maybe we could do something like Kindl + Miller + 2nd for Wideman. Hard to say. I dont know what the value is for Wideman but I would love him on our back end with Green/Kronwall/Quincy/DDK/Smith. Getting there in cap space would be the hard part.

I think we'd have to pay a bit more than that for Wildeman.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I hope we line up somewhat like this

Zett - Dats - Ab
Tatar - Sheahan - Helm
Nyquist - Richards - Franzen
Jurco - Glendenning - Pulkinnen

Andersson - Miller - Ferraro.

We just have too many forwards at the moment. We will have to move someone. Ferraro is almost guaranteed to be waived at this stage as well.

Why? Blash likes Ferraro a lot. Provides lots of speed has a plus shot and is a good penalty killer. Also he is willing to throw what weight he does have around.

I don't think Landon Ferraro is waiver fodder. He and Glendening were the best PK unit in the AHL when they were together, my guess is Blashill has visions of reuniting that combo. Also very good at playing together at even strength, lot of chemistry between the two which should help Ferraro a ton.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Why? Blash likes Ferraro a lot. Provides lots of speed has a plus shot and is a good penalty killer. Also he is willing to throw what weight he does have around.

I don't think Landon Ferraro is waiver fodder. He and Glendening were the best PK unit in the AHL when they were together, my guess is Blashill has visions of reuniting that combo. Also very good at playing together at even strength, lot of chemistry between the two which should help Ferraro a ton.

But someone's gonna have to go man. If not him, who?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
But someone's gonna have to go man. If not him, who?

Blash likes Andy too, so could get interesting, of course with Datsyuk out and probably not for a short stretch of time and Franzen in doubt there is probably time to figure this out.

They would not waive Ferraro to get him down for the playoffs in the AHL. They were worried he would get claimed after liking his playoffs, seems to me he is in the plans.

Personally I would move Miller, I know how popular that will be with many, but that is where I would go if they want Andy around because of the center flexibility. I don't see the long-term fit and running out a PK combo of Ferraro-Glendening and Sheahan-Helm has me plenty happy in terms of the big two units.

Hoping with Blashill on board Sheahan is going to see a big uptick in PK minutes. I think he and Ferraro are actually better at it than anyone we currently deploy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad