Speculation: Opening Night Roster

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Lets keep it civil on this thread

Maybe whoever predicts the closest thing to our actual opening night roster(both on the ice and in the press box) gets to change their profile picture/icon to something of a crown/king/all knowing one?

line combos are meaningless but fun nonetheless

zetts-datsyuk-tatar
nyquist-sheahan-abby
helm-weiss-jurco
miller-glendening-pulkinnen

andersson(press box)
ferraro(press box)
franzen(LTIR)

kronwall-dekeyser
quincey-marchenko
ericsson-smith

kindl(press box)

howard(starter)
mrazek

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Hmmmmm...
Z-Dats-Nyquist
Abby-Riley-Tats
Jurco-Helm-Pulkks
Star Wars (Drewbacca-Luke-Lando)

Kronner-Dk
KFQ-Marchey
XO-Smith

Mrazek (starter)
Jimmy

Hurt:Weiss, Franzen
Press box: kindl, Andersson
Gone: Big E
I decided to go with a bit of risk concerning Ericsson. I know he'll probably be on the roster but if he isn't I can be a genius haha

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Frankly, since the draft nor ufa season has started, I suppose it's a little premature to talk about this. Though, if we take precedent into account, what we have today is likely what we'll be playing with in October give or take some combination of Larkin, Ouellet, and/or Marchenko.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
Pre draft and FA

Helm- Datsyuk- Tatar
Abdelkader- Zetterberg- Nyquist
Weiss- Sheahan- Pulkkinen
Miller- Glendening- Jurco
Ferraro- Andersson
LTIR- Franzen

Kronwall- Ericsson
DeKeyser- Quincey
Smith- Marchenko
Kindl

Howard
Mrazek

Ill do a post draft and free agency also (if I remember).

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
Tatar-Datsyuk-Jurco
Z-Sheahan-Nyquist
Abby-Weiss-Pulkkinen
Miller-Glendening-Ferraro

Andersson, Callahan

LTIR - Franzen

Kronwall-Byfuglien
Dekeyser-Ericsson
Smith-Marchenko
Kindl

This team but shipping Helm + Quincey + Ouellet for Byfuglien + Burmistrov (who would come over the following season).

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
Pre draft and FA

Helm- Datsyuk- Tatar
Ferraro- Andersson
LTIR- Franzen

Kronwall- Ericsson
DeKeyser- Quincey
Smith- Marchenko
Kindl

Howard
Mrazek

This looks about right. This offseason will follow the status quo. No trades, and striking out on free agents. It's the Ken Holland way. I wouldn't expect anything less.

Sami

Oct 21, 2013
Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Abdelkader
Nyquist - Sheahan - Tatar
Jurco - Helm - Pulkkinen
Miller - Glendening - Ferraro

Kronwall - Martin
Quincey - DeKeyser
Ericsson - Marchenko

Howard
Mrazek

Come on Holland, just sign Paul Martin.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
this is your predicted roster for the DRW

its what you feel the team will look like come opening night in Oct

it takes into account what you feel will happen this summer

Its not a line combo exercise perse

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Pre draft and FA

Helm- Datsyuk- Tatar
Ferraro- Andersson
LTIR- Franzen

Kronwall- Ericsson
DeKeyser- Quincey
Smith- Marchenko
Kindl

Howard
Mrazek

So exact same lines what Babcock used? :laugh:

I think Blash will do something differently.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
We are in for a long season if our defensemen are what you guys are predicting.

its funny how so many people are either too scared to predict anything despite the number of quality ufa dmen on the market and the number of potential available via trade

or

know in their heart of hearts ken holland wont be able to or isnt capable of improving the roster

Last edited:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Helm / Dats/ Tatar
Z / Sheahan/ Nyquist
Abby / weiss / Jurco
Miller/ Glen/ Ferraro

Kronwall / Franson
Danny D / Quincey
Ericsson / Ouellet

Mrazek
Howard

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Pre draft and FA

Helm- Datsyuk- Tatar
Ferraro- Andersson
LTIR- Franzen

Kronwall- Ericsson
DeKeyser- Quincey
Smith- Marchenko
Kindl

Howard
Mrazek

Yep, this looks like the most likely lineup IMO.

RedWingzz

Everybody loves Raymond
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
21-13-43
14-40-08
26-15-56
20-41-29
93 LTIR

90 healthy scratch, preferably bought out
Athanasiou first call up, Larkin/Mantha after that maybe? Or sign a vet to play 12th-14th forward and let the kids play in GR and gain some confidence.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
21-13-43
14-40-08
26-15-56
20-41-29
93 LTIR

90 healthy scratch, preferably bought out
Athanasiou first call up, Larkin/Mantha after that maybe? Or sign a vet to play 12th-14th forward and let the kids play in GR and gain some confidence.

why why why, I hate having to remember alot of numbers :cry:

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
I think we're all living in abit of a fantasy land tbh, me included. Because let's face it, KH won't ever take a risk that could lead to future cap crunch. So weiss is most likely in the line-up next season, same with franzen i mean pretty much everything indicates that he's gonna play next season. It'll probably be his last, and i would expect him to go all in for another cup run. So there won't be any room for players like pulkinnen sadly, and with no waivers left i can't see him in the organization at opening night. He's simply excess, we've got 2 superb small speedy goal-scoring wingers occupying the top-6 already.

Chances are that pulky and helm are traded, i wouldn't be suprised if helm's staying though, but because he's ufa after next season would mean that he runs a much higher chance of being traded, i could also see smith being packaged aswell. I think the opening night will look like;

Z-dats-goose
Tatar-sheahan-jurco
Franzen-weiss-abby
Starwars-line

Kronwall-trade/ufa
D-big E
Q- marchenko/XO

Babcock would've put abby in the top 6 for sure but things might change with blash. I personally think that franzen and weiss will need someone like abby on their line to do the heavy work. To me that's a solid 3rd line with good offensive ability. After next season i bet we'll have larkin in weiss's spot. And i'm sure we'll see him there this season when dats/weiss goes down a few games, which is pretty much a 100% probabilty. Mantha and AA will probably see some games aswell when franzen/Z goes down.

It's difficult to split Dekeyser and quincey but i think that if big E has a rebound season and face easier match-ups that he'll be better than quincey.

RedWingzz

Everybody loves Raymond
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I think we're all living in abit of a fantasy land tbh, me included. Because let's face it, KH won't ever take a risk that could lead to future cap crunch. So weiss is most likely in the line-up next season, same with franzen i mean pretty much everything indicates that he's gonna play next season. It'll probably be his last, and i would expect him to go all in for another cup run. So there won't be any room for players like pulkinnen sadly, and with no waivers left i can't see him in the organization at opening night. He's simply excess, we've got 2 superb small speedy goal-scoring wingers occupying the top-6 already.

Chances are that pulky and helm are traded, i wouldn't be suprised if helm's staying though, but because he's ufa after next season would mean that he runs a much higher chance of being traded, i could also see smith being packaged aswell. I think the opening night will look like;

Z-dats-goose
Tatar-sheahan-jurco
Franzen-weiss-abby
Starwars-line

Kronwall-trade/ufa
D-big E
Q- marchenko/XO

Babcock would've put abby in the top 6 for sure but things might change with blash. I personally think that franzen and weiss will need someone like abby on their line to do the heavy work. To me that's a solid 3rd line with good offensive ability. After next season i bet we'll have larkin in weiss's spot. And i'm sure we'll see him there this season when dats/weiss goes down a few games, which is pretty much a 100% probabilty. Mantha and AA will probably see some games aswell when franzen/Z goes down.

It's difficult to split Dekeyser and quincey but i think that if big E has a rebound season and face easier match-ups that he'll be better than quincey.

I see no purpose in trading Helm. At least not to start the season. The only way he gets moved next year is if for some reason the team is struggling, and they let him know they are interested in going the other direction, trading him to a contender at the deadline as a rental.

Also, it wouldnt make any sense trading Pulkkinen without giving him a legitimate shot as an NHL top 9, with consistent PP time. He is a natural goal scorer, although unproven at the NHL level, he still has that natural ability to score goals. Plus Blash got to witness it all first hand in GR, so why move him before actually giving him a shot?

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
I see no purpose in trading Helm. At least not to start the season. The only way he gets moved next year is if for some reason the team is struggling, and they let him know they are interested in going the other direction, trading him to a contender at the deadline as a rental.

Also, it wouldnt make any sense trading Pulkkinen without giving him a legitimate shot as an NHL top 9, with consistent PP time. He is a natural goal scorer, although unproven at the NHL level, he still has that natural ability to score goals. Plus Blash got to witness it all first hand in GR, so why move him before actually giving him a shot?

I never said that helms actually getting traded, however because of soon being UFA i could see him traded to make space and also to not lose him for nothing.

And atm if weiss is not bought out and Franzen returns. Where do you see pulky being in top-9? And even powerplay? I see pulky as excess, and i already explained why. I mean if you don trade anyone

Z-Dats-goose
Tatar-sheahan-abby/jurco
Franzen-helm-abby/jurco
Weiss-glen-miller

Pulky, ferraro, joker all healthy scratches.
I mean you could send jurco down to ahl (yay) same goes for ferraro (asuming he's still got waivers) to give pulky that top-9 and PP time that you're talking about.

To me that's just stupid, get something in return from helm and pulky. It'll give the chance to some of Detroits most promising talent to get som nhl games aswell when injuries occur. Otherwise they're gonna be ahl full season unless like half of the nhl roster goes down..

RedWingzz

Everybody loves Raymond
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I never said that helms actually getting traded, however because of soon being UFA i could see him traded to make space and also to not lose him for nothing.

And atm if weiss is not bought out and Franzen returns. Where do you see pulky being in top-9? And even powerplay? I see pulky as excess, and i already explained why. I mean if you don trade anyone

Z-Dats-goose
Tatar-sheahan-abby/jurco
Franzen-helm-abby/jurco
Weiss-glen-miller

Pulky, ferraro, joker all healthy scratches.
I mean you could send jurco down to ahl (yay) same goes for ferraro (asuming he's still got waivers) to give pulky that top-9 and PP time that you're talking about.

To me that's just stupid, get something in return from helm and pulky. It'll give the chance to some of Detroits most promising talent to get som nhl games aswell when injuries occur. Otherwise they're gonna be ahl full season unless like half of the nhl roster goes down..

Get rid of Weiss and then Franzen will not be ready to go. That leaves Dats, Z, Tatar, Nyquist, Abby, Helm, Jurco, Sheahan and Pulkkinen at 9.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Get rid of Weiss and then Franzen will not be ready to go. That leaves Dats, Z, Tatar, Nyquist, Abby, Helm, Jurco, Sheahan and Pulkkinen at 9.

How's this gonna be accomplished? It's not happening through a trade.

If you're suggesting that they buy him out, I would say that if they're gonna go that route, then do it next year -- give him another chance to prove himself this year while not under Babs, and if it doesn't work out, it's 4 years as opposed to 6 dead cap space. Just my opinion on the matter anyways.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Consensus Detroit Red Wings Lineup for 2015-2016 (Will Update)

As both Free Agency, Buyouts, and Signings occur. I will update this thread which will predict our 2015-2016 average line-up.

*UPDATE*
FA Signing = Mike Green 3Yrs / 6 Mil Per
FA Signing = Brad Richards 1Yr / 3 Mil
*UPDATE*

Forwards:
Line 1: Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Abdelkader
Line 2: Tatar-Richards-Nyquist
Line 3: Pulkkinen-Sheahan-Helm
Line 4: Miller-Glendenning-Jurco
Spares: Franzen (LTIR??), Andersson, Ferraro

AHL: Larkin
Weiss: Bought-Out
"Retired": Cleary, Cole

Defense:
1st P: Kronwall-Ericsson
2nd P: Dekeyser-Green
3rd P: Smith-Quincey
#7: Kindl
AHL: Marchenko, Ouellet

Zidlicky - Not Resigned

Goalies:
Starter(1A): Howard
Starter(1B): Mrazek

Last edited:

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
Khan's article about the offseason today said this:

Their top two lines when healthy are Pavel Datsyuk (who might miss the start of the season following ankle surgery) centering Henrik Zetterberg and Justin Abdelkader and Riley Sheahan centering Gustav Nyquist and Tomas Tatar.

New coach Jeff Blashill will put Luke Glendening and Darren Helm together to form a checking line, possibly with Tomas Jurco.

That leaves Joakim Andersson centering the fourth line with Drew Miller and either Teemu Pulkkinen or Landon Ferraro.

And he's not usually one to speculate. Have to think this is the current situation should nothing change.

Helm - Glendening - Jurco
Miller - Andersson - Pulkkinen/Ferraro

Meh.

Hard to say what I want the lineup to be prior to FA/training camp. I would love to see young guys make it over Andersson. I highly doubt Franzen is going to play. I would like to see Datsyuk and Tatar together again. Beyond that... whatever. I want to see what Blashill does. Jurco with Datsyuk and Tatar is what I'm kind of hoping for.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington

And he's not usually one to speculate. Have to think this is the current situation should nothing change.

Meh.

Hard to say what I want the lineup to be prior to FA/training camp. I would love to see young guys make it over Andersson. I highly doubt Franzen is going to play. I would like to see Datsyuk and Tatar together again. Beyond that... whatever. I want to see what Blashill does. Jurco with Datsyuk and Tatar is what I'm kind of hoping for.

I don't like it. Don't like it at all.

The 4th line is gross. Luke is a 4th line player. Joker doesn't belong on the ice.

Aug 6, 2012

Meh.

That is ugly as hell. Yikes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->