Speculation: Opening Night Roster

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
That's what Blashill said that he wants Helmer on the 4th line with Glendening, I agree I think it's a waste as well we shall see what transpires at training camp.

If that's what Blashill said then that's a very good sign IMO. Helm gives you a very good 4th line that can do exactly what a 4th line is supposed to do: grind. Miller-Glendening-Helm is perfect in that regard.

Helm simply doesn't have the offensive chops to be counted on to be much more than a grinder. We all know Holland will never trade him so you might as well utilize him best to maximize his impact on the team before he bolts via free agency.

Holland has already said that Zetterberg wont be a center any more because of his back. He can't handle it any more and Datsyuk himself has that the he would like to go to the wing position as well.

If that's true holy **** are we screwed. That would leave us with:

Richards: well past his best buy date
Sheahan: no proven capability to center a scoring line
Helm: 4th liner with no offensive skill at all
Glendening: perfect as a 4th line griner

So yeah, that's a recipe for disaster. The only "upside" to that is Larkin would stand a good chance at making the team at some point during the season. The Red Wings do not rush guys at all though so it would likely be the old "Larkin needs to nail down a scoring line center spot or he's better off in Grand Rapids."

The only way it happens is if Holland's hand is forced and it sure as hell looks like that could be the case with that lineup at center.

Last edited:

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015

So yeah, that's a recipe for disaster. The only "upside" to that is Larkin would stand a good chance at making the team at some point during the season. The Red Wings do not rush guys at all though so it would likely be the old "Larkin needs to nail down a scoring line center spot or he's better off in Grand Rapids."

The only way it happens is if Holland's hand is forced and it sure as hell looks like that could be the case with that lineup at center.

We all know that there is not a chance in hell that either one of D or Z are not playing C this year. And how can you believe this info without a source? The poster your quoting hasn't posted a source for this, and it doesn't seem like something Wings brass would say. There is no way Richards is the 1C the entire year. Holland cares about the playoff streak too much to let that happen.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
We all know that there is not a chance in hell that either one of D or Z are not playing C this year. And how can you believe this info without a source? The poster your quoting hasn't posted a source for this, and it doesn't seem like something Wings brass would say. There is no way Richards is the 1C the entire year. Holland cares about the playoff streak too much to let that happen.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2015/07/red_wings_coach_jeff_blashill.html

Here's the source on Richards being the center for a bit with Dats out. There's a tweet I think where Holland and Blashill told Datsyuk that Z would be his winger this season. I'll look for it.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2015/07/red_wings_coach_jeff_blashill.html

Here's the source on Richards being the center for a bit with Dats out. There's a tweet I think where Holland and Blashill told Datsyuk that Z would be his winger this season. I'll look for it.

When Datsyuk is healthy he'll play with Henrik Zetterberg and likely Justin Abdelkader. The plan is to have Richards center the second line.

"Throughout his career he's proven to be a top (two) line center," Blashill said. "That's something I thought going into free agency if we can add it would be a positive thing. He's been a great power-play guy his whole career. He's run it from up top. He also has the ability to play off the half-wall.

"It gives you opportunities to have what Detroit had this year, which was two real good units. And if you have two real good units I think you can really be successful instead of relying on one and kind of a half-unit. That's our goal going in, to have two real strong power-play units, and he'll be a big part of that and then five-on-five I think he can really help us."

Blashill said they have the flexibility to play Riley Sheahan on the wing.

Sheahan on the wing mostly...

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015

Thanks for the link. I know that when Datsyuk is out Richards will be the 1C with Hank on his wing. In my post I was referring to a post made by someone who said that neither D or Z would be playing center at all this year. This article states what I expected, which is that Dats will be playing Center this year.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Thanks for the link. I know that when Datsyuk is out Richards will be the 1C with Hank on his wing. In my post I was referring to a post made by someone who said that neither D or Z would be playing center at all this year. This article states what I expected, which is that Dats will be playing Center this year.

I'm most likely the one that said that there was a report saying that Datsyuk after this year doesn't want to center any more. Because of his injury issues that he wouldn't mind playing wing for his last year, I never said that he wouldn't be playing center any more this year. I don't know if it was Khan or St James mentioning that they heard either from Holland or Dats himself saying that with all of the injuries that he's had for the last few years that he's not sure if he will be able to play center again and felt that he might be more suited to play wing next season not this year.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I always read it as they want Z on the wing to get the most out of him going forward, keep him a bit fresher. Doubt they'll shy away from using him at center when needed to though, and why would they..

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I'm most likely the one that said that there was a report saying that Datsyuk after this year doesn't want to center any more. Because of his injury issues that he wouldn't mind playing wing for his last year, I never said that he wouldn't be playing center any more this year. I don't know if it was Khan or St James mentioning that they heard either from Holland or Dats himself saying that with all of the injuries that he's had for the last few years that he's not sure if he will be able to play center again and felt that he might be more suited to play wing next season not this year.
I'm all for a Zetterberg-Larkin-Datsyuk line in 2016-17. Though I think Datsyuk may have been playful or his usual overly humble self when making a comment like that. The one thing I guess moving to wing would really help him with is less wear and tear on his wrists.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Guys...don't want to intervene....but I'm wondering something for my fantasy draft. Make a long story short....we can draft players that were undrafted in our past drafts and Marchenko is one of them. So I'm hesitating between him and another player....What do you think of him? Ready to play a top 4 role this year? Does this kid have any offensive upside? Thanks.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Guys...don't want to intervene....but I'm wondering something for my fantasy draft. Make a long story short....we can draft players that were undrafted in our past drafts and Marchenko is one of them. So I'm hesitating between him and another player....What do you think of him? Ready to play a top 4 role this year? Does this kid have any offensive upside? Thanks.

unlikely to play in top 4 role. likely no room in NHL roster (when everyone is healthy) either. probably spends most of the season in AHL.

not much offensive upside. could, maybe, get some pp time due to having RH shot but not going to produce ton of points most likely.

who's the other player?

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
unlikely to play in top 4 role. likely no room in NHL roster (when everyone is healthy) either. probably spends most of the season in AHL.

not much offensive upside. could, maybe, get some pp time due to having RH shot but not going to produce ton of points most likely.

who's the other player?

It's a total mismatch as on one side, I have Marchenko who I will be able to put in my farm team and he will then play a top 4 role. And....Troy Terry. I had other players, like Karnhaukov, Cotton, Gilbert, Vainio, Cirelli...but decided to reduce the list to Terry as I like the kid very much. So it's either Marchenko....or Terry. But for Terry, he will be appointed on our league as soon as he plays 1 year of pro hockey.....so I could actually wait for Terry for maybe...3, 4, or even 5 years. But I think his upside is pretty good. But I don't want to talk about needs....just want to go with upside.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
It's a total mismatch as on one side, I have Marchenko who I will be able to put in my farm team and he will then play a top 4 role. And....Troy Terry. I had other players, like Karnhaukov, Cotton, Gilbert, Vainio, Cirelli...but decided to reduce the list to Terry as I like the kid very much. So it's either Marchenko....or Terry. But for Terry, he will be appointed on our league as soon as he plays 1 year of pro hockey.....so I could actually wait for Terry for maybe...3, 4, or even 5 years. But I think his upside is pretty good. But I don't want to talk about needs....just want to go with upside.

i think terry is pretty raw so could chance he won't make it at all but he does have pretty good upside. arguably better than marchenko.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
i think terry is pretty raw so could chance he won't make it at all but he does have pretty good upside. arguably better than marchenko.

Yeah so that's my problem....either I go with Marchenko and I have him play for me this October for my farm team....and have him play a huge role so that he upgrades his rates by his play but that will most likely be defensive.....or go with Terry and wait for him for 3 or 4 years for MAYBE get an offensive dynamo I think he can become....maybe. Anyway, didn't want to hijack the thread....just wanted to at least have 1 opinion on Alex who, in addition to everything I said, I wanted my Habs to draft him in 2010....Liked Marchenko for quite a while....Anyway, thanks.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I'm all for a Zetterberg-Larkin-Datsyuk line in 2016-17. Though I think Datsyuk may have been playful or his usual overly humble self when making a comment like that. The one thing I guess moving to wing would really help him with is less wear and tear on his wrists.

You might be right, Though a line of Zetterberg-Larkin-Datsyuk would be a sweet line for the 2016-17 season. Maybe Datsyuk was just making a suggestion. Any ways Datsyuk as our top centerman is still exactly what we need.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA

I think you're selling Sheahan way too short.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I would say he's selling him short, but not way too short. If Sheahan offensively is a poor man's J. Staal we should be pretty happy.

Staal's last full season:

82 gp: 15 goals, 25 assists= 40 points

Sheahan's last full season:

79 games played: 13 goals, 23 assists= 36 points

He's already a poor man's J. Staal, and he is still developing. Gap's not even that big offensively.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Staal's last full season:

82 gp: 15 goals, 25 assists= 40 points

Sheahan's last full season:

79 games played: 13 goals, 23 assists= 36 points

He's already a poor man's J. Staal, and he is still developing. Gap's not even that big offensively.

Neither is Jordan Staal, he's only 26 and has a better ceiling than Sheahan. Jordan Staal when he's on and not hurt is a 50-60 point guy. Sheahan will be a 45 point guy.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
Neither is Jordan Staal, he's only 26 and has a better ceiling than Sheahan. Jordan Staal when he's on and not hurt is a 50-60 point guy. Sheahan will be a 45 point guy.

I completely agree and there is nothing wrong with that, imo. If Sheahan can develop into a consistent 45-50 point player with good defense, I think everyone around here can be happy with that.

An excellent 3C, or a capable 2C. Fine by me.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I completely agree and there is nothing wrong with that, imo. If Sheahan can develop into a consistent 45-50 point player with good defense, I think everyone around here can be happy with that.

An excellent 3C, or a capable 2C. Fine by me.

I am in the same boat, 40-50 points a season is a good ceiling for a player drafted in his position and as a center.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

That's interesting, considering his best season ever was 50 points on the dot.

Sheahan is almost already a 40 point guy.

The difference is not huge, or not nearly as huge as you are trying to make it. You're overrating Staal.

Staal career NHL PPG= .532 ppg
Sheahan career NHL PPg= .487 ppg

So Staal, for his career, produces on average 43 points per 82 games played... And Sheahan, for his career, produces on average 40 points per games played. Small sample size for Riley, but acting like they are far apart offensively is incorrect.

Last edited:

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013

The difference is not huge, or not nearly as huge as you are trying to make it. You're overrating Staal.

So Staal, for his career, produces on average 43 points per 82 games played... And Sheahan, for his career, produces on average 40 points per games played. Small sample size for Riley, but acting like they are far apart offensively is incorrect.

He used to play with Crosby and Malkin too on the PP net front

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Yeah I agree. I think Sheahan actually has the higher ceiling. I think confidence is the biggest hurdle for him, it's like he doesn't realize how good he can be.

This is what Sheahan should be playing like more often:

AngelicImmenseAnophelesmosquito.gif

AdventurousElegantIberiannase.gif

LivelyGroundedFlamingo.gif

[NHL]2014020596-80-h[/NHL]

I don't buy that this guy has a ceiling of 45 points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad