Line Combos: Opening Day Lineup now ft. JT

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
It's going to be hard, to be honest. Just on paper.

Kadri isn't really speedy enough to play with Kapanen and Johnsson and have all three be effective.

Matthews complained about playing with Nylander, Hyman and Brown exclusively last season and made it known he wanted Marner on his wing.

Tavares was promised Marner, and you want him with one of our better young established wingers (Marner/Nylander).

Marner was magic with Kadri.

It's roooooooooooough.

Kadri is without a doubt going to get hit hard production wise with the signing.

ILoveDraftDay

Feb 14, 2009
HymanLMatthewsLNylanderR
JohnssonLTavaresLMarnerR
MarleauLKadriLKapanenR
GrundstromLLindholmLBrownR
Matt MartinL LeivoR
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

With Babs liking to spread the talent around and have some level of grit on each line I can't see him loving the idea of Marleau Tavares Marner. I think the battle for the top 9 basically turns into a 2 man battle between Kapanen and Brown. With that situation in mind I like what a previous poster suggested, 11-7. You have Matthews, Tavares, Kadri, Marleau, and Nylander with experience at C in the NHL along with Hyman and potentially even Marner who can take faceoffs if you really want to. Let them all take turns with a pair of "4th line" wingers.

Then take your pick of 6+1

RiellyLHainseyL
GardinerLZaitsevR
DermottLCarrickR
BorgmanLHollR
RosenLOzhiganovR
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Or get real weird with it and go 10-8 haha, one can dream but I don't think that works well for minutes.

Reactions: kk87

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Marleau - Tavares - Marner
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Johnsson - Kadri - Brown
Grundstrom - Lindholm - Kapanen

Rielly - Spurgeon ;)
Hainsey - Zaitsev
Dermott - Carrick

Anderson
Sparks

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Think Zaitsev is better than last season, a true #4, Dermott should somehow play with Rielly.

My D

Rielly. Dermott
Gardiner. Zaitsev
Ozhiganov Hainsey

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Leivo-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Brown
Johnsson-Lindholm-Kapanen
Gauthier/Martin (or someone else if they trade him)

I still think there could be some larger moves on defense, and McE may not be the backup next year.

Reactions: aingefan

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009

Kadri isn't really speedy enough to play with Kapanen and Johnsson and have all three be effective.

Matthews complained about playing with Nylander, Hyman and Brown exclusively last season and made it known he wanted Marner on his wing.

Tavares was promised Marner, and you want him with one of our better young established wingers (Marner/Nylander).

It's roooooooooooough.

Kadri is without a doubt going to get hit hard production wise with the signing.

What's your source for Matthews complaining about Nylander? I find it hard to believe Matthews would complain about Nylander. Wanting to play with Marner doesn't mean he's unhappy with Nylander. Nylander is in the same tier as Marner.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Hyman Matthews Nylander
Marleau Tavares Marner
Johnsson Kadri Kapanen
Leivo/Martin Lindholm/Jooris Brown

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
I'd be pissed off as Matthews if I get saddled with Hyman again all season (for my career?) and Tavares gets the superior wingers...my ideal lines would be:

Grundstrom-Matthews-Marner (top end talent with Grundstrom adding size and some skill)
Johnsson-Tavares-Nylander (top end talent - determination of Johnsson/Tavares rubs off on Willie)
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen (speed on the wings with some edge from Kadri)
Hyman-Jooris-Brown (steady as she goes - great hustle)

Reilly-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Gardiner
Dermott-Holl (have a hunch he'll make the squad this season - maybe as 7th)

D is a bit soft for my liking, but that's the way the game appears to be headed...

Reactions: frizzer1

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Hyman - Matthews -Marner
Johnsson - Tavares -Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Kapanen
Brown - Lindholm - Jooris
Leivo

Nylander fits with Tavares better than Matthews (same for Marner with Matthews) as Nylander/JT both pass and score while Matthews is a bigger scorer and Marner a bigger passer. Also Johnsson is a great winger for JT IMO.

Leivo or Brown could be dealt before season/TDL to make room for others (Grundstrum/UFA).

Defense still up for debate/movement, but as of now:

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Carrick

If nothing else is done, Babcock wont be mixing up his d pairings IMO.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Leivo-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Brown
Johnsson-Lindholm-Kapanen
Gauthier/Martin (or someone else if they trade him)

I still think there could be some larger moves on defense, and McE may not be the backup next year.
I am so behind this forward lineup. Can flip flop Leivo/Marleau.
Could definitely see both Martin and Gauthier shopped for picks if there are other versatile/discount forwards available in FA who are eager to join this ship :)

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
What's your source for Matthews complaining about Nylander? I find it hard to believe Matthews would complain about Nylander. Wanting to play with Marner doesn't mean he's unhappy with Nylander. Nylander is in the same tier as Marner.

Hyman isn't on his right side, Nylander is. Marner is also a RW.

He wanted to play with Marner and was upset he wasn't given the chance. Marner would play with him at the expense of Nylander.

Matthews and Mitch are best friends. Nylander is more a loner - you never see him out with the guys.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Hyman isn't on his right side, Nylander is. Marner is also a RW.

He wanted to play with Marner and was upset he wasn't given the chance. Marner would play with him at the expense of Nylander.

Matthews and Mitch are best friends. Nylander is more a loner - you never see him out with the guys.

I remember Matthews saying the Marner thing when he had Hyman and Brown on his wing. I don't recall Matthews ever insinuating Nylander is a problem. That sounds like something risking a rift in the room if it is to go on record. Thus I'm going to say Matthews has no problem playing with Nylander and you are taking the whole Marner thing out of context.

Mar 14, 2015
MarleauTavaresMarner
JohnsonMatthewsNylander
HymanKadriKapanen
GrundstromLindholmBrown
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Marleau-Tavares-Nylander
Grundstrom/Johnsson-Kadri-Kappy
Leivo-Goat/Lindholm-Grundstrom/Johnsson

Rielly-Zaitsev
Gards-Dermott
Hainsey-Rosen

I'd like to see things sken up a bit with Matthews. If Babcock won't break up the Hyman/Matthews pairing, I'd like to see Marner put n the line. This should make the big two guys happy.

I'd love to see Nylander with Marleau and Tavares.

Trade Brown and Martin.

I think Rosen will make it and move up! Big Rosen fan - quote me on it.

We need some sandpaper with talent on the 4th line. Hopefully upgrade this line somehow

edit: flip some wingers to proper side

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
I'd be pissed off as Matthews if I get saddled with Hyman again all season (for my career?) and Tavares gets the superior wingers...my ideal lines would be:

Grundstrom-Matthews-Marner (top end talent with Grundstrom adding size and some skill)
Johnsson-Tavares-Nylander (top end talent - determination of Johnsson/Tavares rubs off on Willie)
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen (speed on the wings with some edge from Kadri)
Hyman-Jooris-Brown (steady as she goes - great hustle)

I don't think that I can take another year of Hyman playing with Matthews, so I like this lineup..
Although some are saying that tavares was told that Marner would be his winger.

Question is whether Grundstrom is ready,..

However I think that Babcock stays with Hyman/Matthews and I wouldn't be surprised to see Brown with Tavares and Marner.........another checking forward on his wrong wing.
And the 4th line centre doesn't matter all that much.

Reactions: Intellivisionhockey

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Play the first line 18 minutes a night. Play the second line 18 minutes a night. Play the third line 16 minutes a night. Play the fourth line 8 minutes a night and most of that is PK.

Rolling four lines is great and we need that fourth line to be competent, but we should be putting an elite #1C out on the ice for as close to 40 minutes a night as possible.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

It's roooooooooooough.

Kadri scored 30 goals and 60 points with Komarov and Brown a couple years ago. I think he will be fine with Marleau and Brown this year, especially since the Tavares line won'd need all the protection the Bozak/JvR line did. Both Kadri's and Matthews lines will get a bounce due to having more offensive sone starts.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Play the first line 18 minutes a night. Play the second line 18 minutes a night. Play the third line 16 minutes a night. Play the fourth line 8 minutes a night and most of that is PK.

Rolling four lines is great and we need that fourth line to be competent, but we should be putting an elite #1C out on the ice for as close to 40 minutes a night as possible.

The team will have 3 30+ goal centers on for 50 minutes a night every night (barring injuries). The leafs have the forward talent to fill 3 first lines on the teams of half the league. The remaining talent playing the other 10 minutes would be 3rd liners for half the league as well. I think we're good.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Tavares - Marner
Hyman - Kadri - Kapanen
Grundstrom - Lindholm - Brown

Rielly - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Carrick
Dermott - Hainsey

Andersen
Sparks

PP1: Tavares/Matthews/Kadri/Marner/Rielly
PP2: Nylander/Kapanen/Marleau/Johnsson/Gardiner

PK forwards: Grundstrom, Brown, Kapanen, Hyman, Johnsson
PK defensemen: Zaitsev, Hainsey, Dermott, Rielly
This! And Grundstrom switching with Martin according to the opponent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad