Line Combos: Opening Day Lineup now ft. JT

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Looks like for those looking for Hyman to be removed from Matthews hip...its happening.
Terry Koshan with the toronto sun tweeted that Babcock said his plan to start is Matthews with Marleau and Nylander and Tavares with Hyman and Marner. So with that now in mind..

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
Grundstrom-Jooris-Brown

Reactions: Dzonna

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I'd prefer them going with something like:

Kapanen - Matthews - Marner
Johnsson - Tavares - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Hyman
X - Lindholm/Shore - X

I'd use Brown along with Gardiner and whatever other pieces is required to find a solid solution on the RHD. Doesn't have to be the world-beater category, but a solid even strength option that can move the puck, and who perform well on the PK. Example:

Rielly - Petry
Dermott - Pysyk
Rosén - Zaitsev

ILoveDraftDay

Feb 14, 2009
Looks like for those looking for Hyman to be removed from Matthews hip...its happening.
Terry Koshan with the toronto sun tweeted that Babcock said his plan to start is Matthews with Marleau and Nylander and Tavares with Hyman and Marner. So with that now in mind..

Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
Grundstrom-Jooris-Brown
Have to see that before I believe it haha

Reactions: WizardOfNaz

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I don't hate the idea of 11/7 TBH. With 6 minutes of PK time(without the 3 centers) per game you're looking at 54 minutes of 5v5/PP to split between the 3 C's. 18 minutes each. Then we can dress Borgman as an extra D

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander 14 minutes
Johnsson - Tavares - Marner 14 minutes
Marleau - Kadri - Kapanen 14 minutes
Leivo - _______ - Brown 6 minutes

Rielly - _______ 18 minutes
Gardiner - Zaitsev 14 minutes
Dermott - Hainsey 10 minutes
Borgman/Carrick - _______ 6 minutes

PK's
Hyman - Brown - Dermott - Hainsey 3 minutes
Kapanen - Johnsson - Rielly - Zaitsev 3 minutes

PP's
Matthews - Tavares - Marner - Marleau - Gardiner 4 minutes
Kadri - Nylander - Leivo - Rielly - Dermott 2 minutes

The 4th line, and 4th pair blank spaces are double shifts between 3 guys(the centers, and Rielly, Gardiner, Dermott/Acquisition). The top pair D blank is an acquired D. All estimates obviously as 5v5/PK/PP time isn't equal each game but it works out to the following on average.

Matthews - 20 minutes
Tavares - 20 minutes
Kadri - 18 minutes
Marner - 18 minutes
Marleau - 18 minutes
Johnsson - 17 minutes
Kapanen - 17 minutes
Hyman - 17 minutes
Nylander - 16 minutes
Brown - 9 minutes
Leivo - 8 minutes

Rielly - 25 minutes
Gardiner - 20 minutes
Acquisition - 18-20 minutes
Zaitsev - 17 minutes
Hainsey - 13 minutes
Dermott - 12-14 minutes
Borgman/Carrick - 6 minutes

Time didn't work out perfectly with Nylander 9th in forwards, Brown at 9 minutes(whichever guy gets on the 4th line will be shafted in a sense), and Dermott down at 12 minutes but those can be adjusted. I don't expect we'd ever run with this but it'd be an interesting direction to get the centers minutes, not having an essentially pointless 4C.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
You're going to think I'm some kind of nut, but I'd go with this:
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Matthews - X
Johnsson - Nylander - Kapanen
X - Kadri - Brown

You can fill the X's with whatever you want. I might move Kapanen up to play with Matthews and put someone else with Nylander, though.
Why? I don't think Kadri's playstyle will mesh with Johnsson and Kapanen, because all three are mainly goal scorers. The latter two need a passing center to go with them. Kadri would be much better as part of a shutdown line with Brown and someone like Grundstrom.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Tavares:vhappy:-Marner
Grundstrom-Kadri-Kapanen
Hyman-Lindholm-Brown

I know Hyman on the 4th line is wishful thinking but it's been a good day. Some optimism is in order.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
With jvr bozak polak and leo finally gone and jt in has anyone just realize how much younger we just got? Our average age might be the lowest in league now and were just getting started

As for line ups roll top 3 lines hard and give the goat a chance to be 4th line C. He can win some face offs and kill pks. People want us to get some pk guys but kap brown hyman goat johnson...were ok

Now that D....let gardiner go and muzzin would be nice. By time his contract is up dermott is ready to go. Tanev also by end of his contract lilly would be good to go but still dream of a trouba.

Irish

Jun 15, 2016
Babcock indicated today that Lindholm is the 4th line C:

(1:13 mark)

and also said Hyman will start with Tavares and Marner:

Marleau Matthews Nylander
Hyman Tavares Marner
Johnsson Kadri Kapanen
Grundstrom Lindholm Brown

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
Your guys third line is better then any line combo the Canucks could throw together. I'm jealous!

Petersson for Calder

Everyone wants boeser on their squad lol

Hope demko and joulevi end up reaching their potential. You guys are still on the up with Hughes and Woo too

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Honest thought, even though it’s never gonna happen - it’d make a lot of sense to go 11 forwards and 7 D. Reducing ice time for guys like Zaitsev and Hainsey would be huge, and if we needed to play someone like Marleau or Nylander at centre for a few shifts to give the 91 34 and 43 a break, it wouldn’t be hard.

Yeah, I've thought about this too. I don't know how likely it'd be but it's an interesting though exercise. One downside I see to the 11F, 7D idea is when you get into lengthy OT games, but given the 5 min cap in regular season that isn't a huge problem.

Matthews, Tavares & Kadri alternate shifts on the 4th, and for PK centers we just do what we did last year using guys like Brown/Hyman as centers.

I also maintain that Brown has the game to be a full time center on this club, which is an option as well imo

Working from what Babs said about top 6:

Marleau - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Kapanen
Grundstrom - Brown - ?????

Reactions: Canadian Finn

palmateer67

Feb 6, 2010
New York City
While the forward lines are great to fantasize over, the defense remains an issue, no matter the combinations. The Leafs still lack a shut-down defense pair needed to quell the third-period meltdowns. Given the success of Dubas so far, I anticipate a deal in the works for that player.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
Would like to see Leivo get some games.
Mike-Babcock.jpg

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
While the forward lines are great to fantasize over, the defense remains an issue, no matter the combinations. The Leafs still lack a shut-down defense pair needed to quell the third-period meltdowns. Given the success of Dubas so far, I anticipate a deal in the works for that player.

No such player will be available. There are few if any true shutdown D in the league.

Our strategy should be to have the puck and if you don't have the puck, go get the puck and get the puck. The more talented offensive players you have, the less time you should be in your own zone.

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
With how much better Tavares has made his wingers for the entirety of his career, I’m excited to see what happens, partially scared for Marner’s next contract too lol.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
Leivo is a big fella with some nice hands..not exactly JVR not exactly sandpaper but i think a good 4th liner and a decent choice for 2nd pp unit

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
Leivo is a big fella with some nice hands..not exactly JVR not exactly sandpaper but i think could be a half decent 4th liner and a decent choice for 2nd pp unit

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Would like to see Leivo get some games.
He might but I still think he’s soon to be passed over by Grundstrom.
You have to think of who our PK unit will be.
Last year it was Hyman-Komarov and 4C-Brown.
Now Kappy can do it but I’m sure Babcock would pass Leivo for a solid skating 2-way defensive minded guy. With our power top 9, that 4th line is going to need to be able to do the PK dirty work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad