Oct 3, 2017
It's the same thing every year.

Matthews goes on a hot streak

Matthews is better than McDavid!!!

Matthews goes cold

Matthews gets hurt

Matthews comes back and is mediocre for 10 games

McDavid/Draisaitl ride off into the sunset with the awards

leafs fans and media insist he's closing the gap and next year he'll overtake McDavid for real

Wash/rinse/repeat
Pretty much, he has hot start every year.

Reactions: subnet

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Nobody actually thinks Cassie came up with this herself ... do they?

That entire panel feels like a weak attempt at creating some kayfabe and bringing it to the NHL.

Ooooh how do we increase ratings? Let's get one of the panelists to make a ridiculous statement that the best player in the centre of the universe has passed the best player in the world.

Who has the least credibility on the panel? Cassie! Yeah, we have a long track record of her spouting garbage with no concern about her credibility or reputation. She's the perfect person to state this foolishness publicly!

GingerJesus28

This is the way
Feb 25, 2015
Saskatchewan
I like how for literally a decade, it was always Crosby is the best. There was never any argument. Whatsoever. You asked pretty much anyone who the best player on the planet was, and it was Crosby. Not challenged, not really any push back

We're into YEAR f***ING SIX of McDavid. In the last 5 years (not counting his rookie year where he got hurt), he's got 60 more points than 2nd place (Kucherov). Points Per Game? 1.40 to 1.31

He has more 5 point games in his career already than Crosby does. And if their numbskull coaches would play him a few shifts in 3rd periods of blowouts (like Draisaitl still got 6 shifts in the 3rd last game despite being hurt), he'd probably have a few 6 point games and a 7 point game.

This argument is f***ing tiring man. People still think Crosby is the best and I don't think he's even top 5, maybe even top 10 at this point!

If McDavid played on the Leafs or one of the NHL's darling teams like the Pens or f***, even the Blackhawks, we wouldn't be hearing this shit, and nobody can convince me otherwise

It's f***ing tiring. It really is.

Ovechkin was always a great player, but always #2 to Crosby. He was more complete than Crosby was in their younger years. Played better defense, and was a lot more physical.

Like enough's enough f***. The dude could get 130P next year and Matthews and MacKinnon will be at like 100 and we'll still have to hear about whos better.

GINGERJESUSCHRIST

--- End rant ---

Reactions: McTonyBrar and TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You starting to get now why most of this board can’t stand her yet, lol? You seemed to be at a loss for why last week.

heh, yeah. tbh I try not to pay attention to any of these commentator goons. For sure I don't listen to any of their pregame squawking or between periods garbage. If guys like Howie Meeker were still around I would listen. I think I try to tune these people out and its better that way, enjoy the game more when I don't even pay attention to what they are saying.

I'm not on twitter either so I could easily escape all the inanity except for people posting it up here and getting me riled up..;)

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I like how for literally a decade, it was always Crosby is the best. There was never any argument. Whatsoever. You asked pretty much anyone who the best player on the planet was, and it was Crosby. Not challenged, not really any push back

We're into YEAR f***ING SIX of McDavid. In the last 5 years (not counting his rookie year where he got hurt), he's got 60 more points than 2nd place (Kucherov). Points Per Game? 1.40 to 1.31

He has more 5 point games in his career already than Crosby does. And if their numbskull coaches would play him a few shifts in 3rd periods of blowouts (like Draisaitl still got 6 shifts in the 3rd last game despite being hurt), he'd probably have a few 6 point games and a 7 point game.

This argument is f***ing tiring man. People still think Crosby is the best and I don't think he's even top 5, maybe even top 10 at this point!

If McDavid played on the Leafs or one of the NHL's darling teams like the Pens or f***, even the Blackhawks, we wouldn't be hearing this shit, and nobody can convince me otherwise

It's f***ing tiring. It really is.

Ovechkin was always a great player, but always #2 to Crosby. He was more complete than Crosby was in their younger years. Played better defense, and was a lot more physical.

Like enough's enough f***. The dude could get 130P next year and Matthews and MacKinnon will be at like 100 and we'll still have to hear about whos better.

GINGERJESUSCHRIST

--- End rant ---

It's because he's on Edmonton that's why. It's pathetic of the NHL or any analysts to just question him because he's on the OILERS lol it's so embarassing of the league. This league will always be B league because of crap like that

Reactions: TB12 and oilers'72

GingerJesus28

This is the way
Feb 25, 2015
Saskatchewan
It's because he's on Edmonton that's why. It's pathetic of the NHL or any analysts to just question him because he's on the OILERS lol it's so embarrassing of the league. This league will always be B league because of crap like that
I know I shouldn't be this mad, but it's f***ing tiring. The Oilers hate is f***ing outrageous. It's like people hold it against the Oilers for winning a f***ing lottery. They didn't even have top 2 odds...

Like even in the MLB and NBA, people recognized greatness on those teams when they were the only Canadian teams. Kawhi was regarded as the best player in the NBA that year they won. Donaldson winning MVP, etc. And there wasnt much debate really.

It's just... it's f***ing absurd. So McDavid isn't very good in his own end. Guess what: Neither are Matthews/Ovechkin/Pastrnak/Kane/Draisaitl, f***, even MacKinnon. McDavid makes up for it by getting more points than everyone.

It's so tired that it's almost becoming wired lol.

Reactions: McTonyBrar and TB12

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Was told on the main boards last night they were missing Thornton’s grit.
I've looked everywhere and I can't find a #97 grit.

upload_2021-2-23_14-38-22.jpeg

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
She's a homer (like so many of us are) but doesn't deserve any abuse.

Why do you think she deserves special treatment?

We criticize male commentators/journalists all the time. You must have noticed the vile spewed at Matheson among others. Unless you have posted about male commentators not deserving abuse you are acting in quite the misandristic manner.

Last edited by a moderator:

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Why do you think she deserves special treatment?

We criticize male commentators/journalists all the time. You must have noticed the vile spewed at Matheson among others. Unless you have posted about male commentators not deserving abuse you are acting in quite the misandristic manner.

She doesn't deserve special treatment but some of the comments I read here went too far.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I think Staples is a pretty honest guy. I don't agree with him on everything, but I do find him to be free from bias for the most part. In this case, he can see the limitations of advanced stats.

A lot of advanced analytics guys can't wrap their heads around the fact that so much of the raw data is subjective. When does a scoring chance become a high danger chance? What is a play considered a major defensive error as opposed to a minor defensive error? The higher the degree of subjectivity the higher degree of unreliability in the statistic that comes out as a result.
I have a tendency to ignore most advanced stats largely for those reasons. I do think the eye test is best. I mean good play is good play. A wins is a win and a goal is a goal. To me some advanced stats are like plus minus, taken alone doesn’t say anything.

Reactions: shoop

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I have a tendency to ignore most advanced stats largely for those reasons. I do think the eye test is best. I mean good play is good play.

I have a subscription to the Athletic and enjoy it for the most part. Their advanced stats guy, Dom Lyzyzyn actually tried to use advanced stats to justify keeping Draisaitl off his Hart ballot altogether. WTAF?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
heh, yeah. tbh I try not to pay attention to any of these commentator goons. For sure I don't listen to any of their pregame squawking or between periods garbage. If guys like Howie Meeker were still around I would listen. I think I try to tune these people out and its better that way, enjoy the game more when I don't even pay attention to what they are saying.

I'm not on twitter either so I could easily escape all the inanity except for people posting it up here and getting me riled up..;)
As much as I made fun of his voice when I was a kid, I miss Howie Meeker. He didn’t blow smoke up fans asses by kissing up to players or teams. If someone wasn’t playing well he’d tell you about it and tell you what they were doing wrong.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
She doesn't deserve special treatment but some of the comments I read here went too far.

Cassie, her comments and the reaction to those comments is the subject of this thread.

Which comments went too far? Everyone of the criticisms on this thread would be equally acceptable if you switched the name Cassie with Kevin. This thread has been absolutely on point. Women don't need anonymous white knights who complain about comments. Good female hockey pundits should keep working. Bad female hockey pundits should not keep working. Same approach for male hockey pundits.

Cassie is not good at her job.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013

Exactly this.

Grow up people.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Cassie, her comments and the reaction to those comments is the subject of this thread.

Which comments went too far? Everyone of the criticisms on this thread would be equally acceptable if you switched the name Cassie with Kevin. This thread has been absolutely on point. Women don't need anonymous white knights who complain about comments. Good female hockey pundits should keep working. Bad female hockey pundits should not keep working. Same approach for male hockey pundits.

Cassie is not good at her job.
I mean in the GDT people were saying despicable things about her and her looks and I agree those are uncalled for. I haven't seen anything in this thread but I haven't looked either.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
That GDT had a couple borderline posts and one that crossed the line. Today had one that crossed the line and it was removed pretty quickly.

Yeah, I wasn't too impressed with that tbh.

She got the job for the obvious reasons of her ties and commitment to the game and her recognizability for it. To attack anything more than her job performance as a commentator is just....pathetic.

That is why I chose the title I did and merely posted the link without saying a peep as I thought that combination said it all from my perspective.

MinisterOfSinister

Aug 31, 2008
The personal attacks cross a line, especially considering how much dumb shit she spews.

There's plenty of material there without having to make it about her.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I mean in the GDT people were saying despicable things about her and her looks and I agree those are uncalled for. I haven't seen anything in this thread but I haven't looked either.
I agree, but it is still a double standard.

People still call Friedman chubby and there is even a poster whose avatar is Darryls' nose and another with Don Cherrys' Jowl. Neither are complimentary at all. Both are meant to denigrate their looks yet there they are posting up a storm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad