Ooohhhh Cassie....

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
It is somewhat shocking to see this stated so explicitly from a guy like Staples who has a lot of interaction with people who would argue the opposite. Good on him.

I think Staples is a pretty honest guy. I don't agree with him on everything, but I do find him to be free from bias for the most part. In this case, he can see the limitations of advanced stats.

A lot of advanced analytics guys can't wrap their heads around the fact that so much of the raw data is subjective. When does a scoring chance become a high danger chance? What is a play considered a major defensive error as opposed to a minor defensive error? The higher the degree of subjectivity the higher degree of unreliability in the statistic that comes out as a result.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Plot twist...

Cassie is actually a die-hard Oiler fan and is using the reverse psychology to maintain a fire under McD, pushing him to heights Auston Matthews is afraid to climb to.

Well played, Cassie. I respect the long game. Almost had everyone fooled.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Plot twist...

Cassie is actually a die-hard Oiler fan and is using the reverse psychology to maintain a fire under McD, pushing him to heights Auston Matthews is afraid to climb to.

More than likely she did what other hockey players do when they want to work for sportsnet as a broadcaster

Pile on Edmonton.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
I didn't see it written in the article that Matthews is a product of Marner. Marner is the glue on that team. When he's off his game, like he was against Calgary last night, the rest do nothing. Matthews is a better pure goal scorer, sure. But Marner does everything and does everything well. I'd take him before Matthews in an exchange for sure.

Reactions: oilers'72

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
Plot twist...

You have too much time on yr hands lol

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Matthews is proving to be an absolutely elite goal scorer. That being said, it's time for McDavid to make the most of this situation and grossly outpoint Matthews and Marner and show the world who the best player in Canada (and the NHL) is beyond a shadow of a doubt. If he could somehow lead the league by ~20 points in a shortened season that would be insane and probably shut some pie holes.

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
Matthews is proving to be an absolutely elite goal scorer. That being said, it's time for McDavid to make the most of this situation and grossly outpoint Matthews and Marner and show the world who the best player in Canada (and the NHL) is beyond a shadow of a doubt. If he could somehow lead the league by ~20 points in a shortened season that would be insane and probably shut some pie holes.
The Media would make up some excuse

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
My theory on this is that she said this for self preservation. Her team just got spanked by the Oilers twice and they were heading on to Toronto for the next two. She clearly has no faith in her team so she makes preemptive excuses as to why her teams going to lose, so she tells herself that Matthews is the best player in the league to justify why the Flames are going to lose.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
It's the same thing every year.

Matthews goes on a hot streak

Matthews is better than McDavid!!!

Matthews goes cold

Matthews gets hurt

Matthews comes back and is mediocre for 10 games

McDavid/Draisaitl ride off into the sunset with the awards

leafs fans and media insist he's closing the gap and next year he'll overtake McDavid for real

Wash/rinse/repeat

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
My theory on this is that she said this for self preservation. Her team just got spanked by the Oilers twice and they were heading on to Toronto for the next two. She clearly has no faith in her team so she makes preemptive excuses as to why her teams going to lose, so she tells herself that Matthews is the best player in the league to justify why the Flames are going to lose.

And when they lose to Ottawa? Then what?

giphy (1) (4).gif

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
"Matthews doesn't get to play with a talent like RNH on the PP". "That Tyson Barrie guy is an elite offensive defenseman, the Leafs haven't had a guy like that in Matthews time here (short memory eh?)"

"Okay but Draisaitl and McDavid play together on the powerplay" completely ignoring the fact that Matthews and Marner play together virtually 100% of the time, all situations

RNH sucks and Puljujarvi is a bust and both are products of McDavid who also zooms Draisaitl somehow when he plays with two midgets

Loading up a line is brilliant coaching when the Leafs do it but McDavid and Draisaitl get one 5v5 shift together and it negates all their accomplishments.

Matthews S% his last 5 games:

0%
50%
50%
50%
40%

TOTALLY SUSTAINABLE

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Imagine how much higher people would rate McDavid's defense if he played in front of Andersen instead of Koskinen.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Eh.. who cares?
AM is having himself a hell of a season so far. Good. There needs to be more good players in this league.

I'm not sure why everyone is so obsessed with lists and rankings of players. Comparison is the thief of joy.

Reactions: McTedi

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
Eh.. who cares?
AM is having himself a hell of a season so far. Good. There needs to be more good players in this league.

I'm not sure why everyone is so obsessed with lists and rankings of players. Comparison is the thief of joy.

because she's wrong, and wrong is the thief of right...or something like that :sarcasm:

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
Eh.. who cares?

taking pride in McDavid and the jersey he wears is something the team can build on.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
8069F408-1B79-41C2-BC7D-4B61DC7ABDD5.jpeg

Just published this morning.

Sorry Cassie. Your hawt taek sucks along with your hockey analytical ability. Please step aside for Ms. Nurse whose proven in 3 broadcasts she’s infinitely more aware, unbiased and a better television analyst than you’ve been in the 15 years since you were gifted a job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad