Ontario Reign 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I mean Strand could be a #1 in Manchester getting 20+ mins a game. Or does it suit him to play less in the A against superior talent?

I think Strand is too good for the ECHL, plus he is still just 21 (turns 22 in February), so proving himself and climbing up the ranks as a top 3 defenseman in the AHL will serve him well.

They probably want get a closer look at Clague as well, though I still think sending him back to juniors for one last run as a leader in the WHL might serve him well, but that is if he struggles and shows that he is having difficulty handling the pace of play in the AHL.

Agree with regulate on Falkovsky and Reddekopp, two guys who are far down on the depth charts who could be assigned to the ECHL.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I mean Strand could be a #1 in Manchester getting 20+ mins a game. Or does it suit him to play less in the A against superior talent?

From seeing him in person, he sure looks like he belongs in the A. Much better for his development, and a higher ceiling, especially as a right hand shot. He did nothing to show me (so far) that he cannot be a good AHL player. He handles the puck much better than Reddekopp. Showed some poise too and can play physical with good size. Stots and the new Reign GM are going to have some tough choices to make.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Continuing on Strand, I didn't go to the game at Honda Center last night, so I'm not sure about his D coverage in that game against the Gulls, but he did score a power play goal which tied the game I believe.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
What would Ontario's lines look like with Etem?

Thanks!!!

Usually I would have an idea, but with so many new faces (Mitchell, Eyssimont, Morrison, Rempal, Etem), i just don't have a clue were Stothers is going to put everyone. at this point. He's tried several variations in the two preseason games. So right now it's a blender. I think Watson may have also been sent back to the ECHL (I'd much rather send Imama) since I don't believe I saw him at an event I attended. This team has a lot of potential if they score some goals because the defense could be quite good, maybe the best in the league. They don't really have a great passer though at center (they will miss Amadio and Hensick), although Maillet and I think Morrison may be okay but not as good of distributors. I got a chance to talk to Stothers about the defense tonight for about a minute one on one (he really loves Reddekopp by the way, I think because of his physical play), I wish I had more time, but there were too many damn people.

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
First time watching the Reign. I hope this game is just an anomaly so far because they suck. I mean they REALLY suck lol. The best player so far is Macdermid and I don't mean that in an insulting way.

Eagle Fang

Oct 12, 2005
Man, MacD just murdered someone at the blueline with a huge hit. Straight homicide!

Eagle Fang

Oct 12, 2005
MacD just beat the living snot out of Sabourin. I mean, give SS credit, but he straight got mauled. MacD... if only he could stick with LA.

Reactions: King Trouty

Eagle Fang

Oct 12, 2005
This AHL game is actually more entertaining than most Kings game. Just based on this game though, no one really stands out in a good way except MacD. Brickley had a nice move from the point on the PP for a goal. I did miss a chuck of the 2nd period so not sure if anyone stood out then. Defensively they look like a mess. It's like 6 Muzzins out there, and Budaj... I can see why Campbell is the backup if this is how he normally plays.

Also, the overhead camera angle is interesting. It's harder to follow the play, but it really shows the speed of the game.

Reactions: triplcrown

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
The Reign defense has been pretty brutal the first two games, but as all these new guys learn the system, it will gel. A lot of guys playing their first real pro games, and it takes a while to adjust to the speed. Brickley hasn't been good defensively either. He is minus 3 so far tonight, MacDermid is +4.

Eagle Fang

Oct 12, 2005
The Reign defense has been pretty brutal the first two games, but as all these new guys learn the system, it will gel. A lot of guys playing their first real pro games, and it takes a while to adjust to the speed. Brickley hasn't been good defensively either. He is minus 3 so far tonight, MacDermid is +4.

I know one of his -1 was due to Roy's completely stupid pass to him. He did bumble the puck a little, but there was no reason for that brain fart of a pass by Roy.

Eagle Fang

Oct 12, 2005
Not to ride MacD's nutz or anything but he's really the only player doing things that stand out. On the PK he just tried to truck someone at the point. Not the best decision as it led to a scoring chance because he was out of position, but if he had connected, whoever that Stockton player was would've been DOA.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Not to ride MacD's nutz or anything but he's really the only player doing things that stand out. On the PK he just tried to truck someone at the point. Not the best decision as it led to a scoring chance because he was out of position, but if he had connected, whoever that Stockton player was would've been DOA.

Saw that too and it was a terrible decision. These are the types of plays that keep you in the AHL.

Oh, and the Reign win in OT 6-5!

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
This AHL game is actually more entertaining than most Kings game. Just based on this game though, no one really stands out in a good way except MacD. Brickley had a nice move from the point on the PP for a goal. I did miss a chuck of the 2nd period so not sure if anyone stood out then. Defensively they look like a mess. It's like 6 Muzzins out there, and Budaj... I can see why Campbell is the backup if this is how he normally plays.

Also, the overhead camera angle is interesting. It's harder to follow the play, but it really shows the speed of the game.

I thought the opposite, that MacDermid didn't do so well. He looked particularly lost in the first, he contributed to that hole they were in for sure. He did get better as the game went on. He certainly looked nowhere near where he needs to be to play most teams in the NHL. He would have been turn-styled multiple times with the way the Sharks were buzzing last night. His toughness would be a welcome addition, I'm just skeptical that he has the skill to put it all together. It wouldn't be because of effort, he has that in spades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad