Ontario Reign 20-21 part II Growing Pains

Status
Not open for further replies.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
For as much as this team struggles at times, you have to admire the fact that they don't quit and are in every game. I think once they get to about mid season and get used to the system this team could be dangerous.

I agree, even though they've only had one win it's really not as if they've been outplayed badly. Reign has had some tremendous pressure every game, but as mentioned it's a really young team and they will go through growing pains. Also, defense and goaltending have been inconsistent and for some odd reason opposition goalie has been Dominic Hasek level for every game.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
As someone who hasn’t been watching, it sounds kinda funny to hear that every goalie they are playing is Hasek. Sounds like a lot of excuse making honestly. Can’t say it’s not disappointing to see the record. I say that knowing the league is for instructional purposes. Hope they get some wins strung together. Winning is always more fun and good for morale.

Reactions: funky

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
As someone who hasn’t been watching, it sounds kinda funny to hear that every goalie they are playing is Hasek. Sounds like a lot of excuse making honestly. Can’t say it’s not disappointing to see the record. I say that knowing the league is for instructional purposes. Hope they get some wins strung together. Winning is always more fun and good for morale.

It's not hot goaltending during this homestand except maybe the Gulls game.

Byfield useless until the 3rd period when Ontario is losing and he has to push it. He'll be a perfect King.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007

Personally not making any excuses at all on my part. Just merely making an observation on these goalies. There are no excuses, this team has been pretty good at times and have been really bad in others, but they have faced some pretty good goaltending. Not that it means anything but they've outshot the opponent in every game so far. Losing is going to happen with a young team but I'm just glad they're not being run out of the building every game.

Reactions: LAKings88

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Personally not making any excuses at all on my part. Just merely making an observation on these goalies. There are no excuses, this team has been pretty good at times and have been really bad in others, but they have faced some pretty good goaltending. Not that it means anything but they've outshot the opponent in every game so far. Losing is going to happen with a young team but I'm just glad they're not being run out of the building every game.
I get it, not a personal attack on you at all. I think given the nature of the young make up, new coach, and dealing with a taxi squad situation, it speaks to their record. It would be nice to get the end result but it really is a league more to do with process than anything. Still, scoreboard isn’t looking good at the moment.

Reactions: ru4reals

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
I get it, not a personal attack on you at all. I think given the nature of the young make up, new coach, and dealing with a taxi squad situation, it speaks to their record. It would be nice to get the end result but it really is a league more to do with process than anything. Still, scoreboard isn’t looking good at the moment.

Yup, you are exactly right. And this is what I think most Kings fans are feeling in regards to how the Reign season has gone so far. Personally I've stated this before win or lose it's just really good to see the young prospects finally get to play together on any level. And this will really help with the chemistry later on in the future. But 100% agree it is about the process. Hopefully, a few wins will come soon and you're right winning will definitely help with the morale.

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
It's pretty disheartening. I haven't seen any games, so all I can do is watch the box scores... but it seems like all these A+ prospects are great in theory, lousy in practice. Also a bummer watching Stutzle shoot the lights out in the NHL while Byfield struggles so badly in every situation he's been in since being drafted.

I'm also officially over Turcotte. I'll start paying attention again once he accomplishes something other than getting sick or hurt.

Reactions: ibleedkings

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It's pretty disheartening. I haven't seen any games, so all I can do is watch the box scores... but it seems like all these A+ prospects are great in theory, lousy in practice. Also a bummer watching Stutzle shoot the lights out in the NHL while Byfield struggles so badly in every situation he's been in since being drafted.

I'm also officially over Turcotte. I'll start paying attention again once he accomplishes something other than getting sick or hurt.

Yeah, we've seen this movie from you before

Kings fans really need to just erase this name from their synapses.

Vilardi will be lucky to live a life where he can tie his shoes without agony. Playing professional hockey is totally absurd.

We swung and completely missed and lost a first round pick. Tragedy happens. Just move on.

Yeah, I heard all this already with Scott Barney.

Not to mention ye olde Deadmarsh and Allison prognoses.

Villardi is dead to me as a prospect until the day he suits up in a real game and stays in the lineup for more than a week.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

Can you whine about Stutzle in some other thread? Is he a bust when he doesn't score, because he's been held off the score sheet in 11 of his 17 games and is a team worst -13. Lights out.

You must be suffering from shiny toy syndrome.

Last edited:

Pucknut50

Jun 13, 2007

I know I have had some disagreements with people here about Stutzle/Byfield pick but you just don't pass on an electrifying player even if you miss. He is perfect for how the game is played today. I hate the term long term project when you already have an option on a guy who you can see is NHL ready. How many times do I see in the comment section about how boring the team is playing. Could you imagine the posts about Stutzle? Yes we probably would have the same record but the enjoyment would be 2X.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009

oh give it a f***ing break

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I know I have had some disagreements with people here about Stutzle/Byfield pick but you just don't pass on an electrifying player even if you miss. He is perfect for how the game is played today. I hate the term long term project when you already have an option on a guy who you can see is NHL ready. How many times do I see in the comment section about how boring the team is playing. Could you imagine the posts about Stutzle? Yes we probably would have the same record but the enjoyment would be 2X.

I'm sorry but that is an incredibly flimsy draft philosophy. Yakupov, Zherdev...'electrifying' =/= effective. And that's without talking about "nhl ready" as draft criteria...Again--you draft for 20 years, not 3 months. Barret Jackman has a Calder.

It's been EIGHT professional games for many of these kids, most of which wouldn't even be eligible for the AHL if this were a normal year, playing experienced pro men under a brand new coach in a new system. How about we take a step back off the ledge in here.

Pucknut50

Jun 13, 2007
Electrifying is not just Hockey skill its a combination of everything. Great personality, Speaks English, Work ethic, you know the guy who walks in a room and everybody notices. Yakupov is an idiot would not have drafted him just through his arrogance. Zherdev was a good pick and he did well but went back to Russia. Hey as a Kings fan I hope Byfield turns into a top player but what I see is a sleepy player. The #1 thing I don't like about his game is overuse of one handed play using his length as a crutch. As he moves up the players know how to puck protect so you need to skate, stay strong with two hands on the stick and fight for inside position.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
Maybe it's just me but I think Byfield's been fine.
He's looked dominant at times creating chances, being around the puck, having the puck on his stick for extended stretches, etc, and also looked invisible at various other times.
These inconsistencies aren't out of the norm for 1st year pros, even for top 3 picks.
Sure the scoring hasn't necessarily been there but the whole team is kind of struggling in that area, and I think it'll come as the season progresses.
I just hope they don't have to go back to the OHL once things start to come together.
BTW, was there an official announcement for OHL return to play? I thought quarantine was starting in March, but I couldn't find anything.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I must be watching these games with a different lens than some here. I couldn't care less about wins and losses. It was 100% apparent that when the Kings hired Wroblewski that the Reign were going to be a development team focused team, not a teach them the Kings system or a build an AHL winning culture team. I've watched just about every game and I pay close attention to the players who are the real prospects on the team. For the most part, everyone who should be good has looked the part more often than not and that's the forwards. All of the blue-chip Kings defensemen prospects are in LA. I don't count Clague anymore as a Reign player even though he's there right now. Hults has just now been re-inserted into the lineup, so it's still really early for him. Hell, it's still too early to make any judgements period at this point. But the Kings have outshot their opponents every single game.

The common threads of each game are the following: The Reign defensemen generally are not NHL prospects. Not only are they poor at actually defending, but zone exits, zone entries and outlet passes are below average to be kind. The forwards are still generating chances in spite of that, but imagine if they had Clague, Bjornfot and Strand as your top 3. But that's not the goal, it's for those guys to be LA ready, which they are. Brickley looks like career AHL'er or off to Europe, Alt is no good, Phillips looks like career AHL'er and Gaunce is ridiculously bad. Durzi just doesn't look the part. I expected faster decision making from him and I'm not seeing it yet. He's 18 months younger than Strand, so who knows, but Hults is his age. I hope to see them paired together regularly to see what happens.

The kids need more finish. They're getting shots, but not finding the net yet. I do like where they're getting shots, though. Fagemo and Kaliyev have been getting their shots primarily from the circles, which is exactly where you want them. Wrob seems to be stationing Byfield below the goal line on the cycle or the right side boards. Then when the puck is passed around, he circles to the front of the net. That seems to be by design. To provide a huge front net presence especially on the powerplay. Byfield was the PP QB for Sudbury, so it'll be interesting if eventually he gets tried there (if he isn't sent back to the OHL first). Madden has been stationed on the left and has been a little snake bit, but he was scoring goals like mad during their preseason. He's got good puck skills and is very good at getting the puck to the point when double teamed and generally a good distributor. Kupari has been very good overall. He's like Kempe but looks like a true center now which I wouldn't have said a year ago. He's making great strides in his playmaking ability. The problem is, the defensemen are so bad at maintaining possession, it kills the flow of the cycle and forecheck. Bottom line are the young forwards are generally showing they can play and aren't overmatched by older players.

The goaltending is bad. Berube and Villalta have given up some mind-numbingly bad goals. If you're looking to actually win games, you can't give up some of the goals they've given up. Just terrible back breaking goals.

I expect the goals will start coming sooner rather than later. The shots are there. They seem to get better and stronger as the game goes on, especially in the 3rd period. I don't know if it's just that the kids are taking longer to feel comfortable in the flow of the games or not or it's changing the line compositions and defense pairings when playing catch up or what. Anyway, I'm having fun watching them even if the score line isn't in their favor. No offense to other players on the roster, but I only care what Nick Halloran or Brett Sutter or Jacob Doty or Cameron Gaunce do in relation to how it impacts the kids. I do hope Villalta can play better as well as he could still have a future.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Damn that was vicious. Note to self don’t go after Raccoon anymore.

Do you have any of my 9000 dumb comments saved as well?

:laugh:

It wasn't meant to be an attack and I'm glad @Yog S'loth got to lampoon it before I added a disclaimer.

It was more of a perspective thing, look how we often feel about guys who take a little longer. I would take Vilardi over anyone in that 1st round except Makar, Heiskanen, Pettersson. But that first year or two out...was rough. I was bullish on him but I can see why others weren't and I can see why others feel similarly to some degree about Byfield right this minute especially with that other guy cruising around getting NHL minutes, but trust the process. And that goes for all our prospects given the situation. And as mentioned above, for those of us watching the games, the process actually looks good, it's the results taht aren't there. I'd take that over the "W"s right this minute, rather than getting caved in but scoring goals opportunistically.

Reactions: dick341

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I don't like the fact that we basically haven't seen Byfield's shot. The PP deployment is stupid with him as this should be a chance to his skill shine. Sure, he got fortunate with one no-look between the legs pass but then they keep setting up that same play which is low percentage. Granted, they have two guys in Fagemo and Kaliyev that are designate shooters on the power play but it still needs to be asked if they are using Byfield correctly on the PP.

The answer to that question is obviously "no" since none other than Craig Johnson is coaching the power play. It's wild that a guy that contributed greatly to the LAPD-era ending is now in a position to ruin something else before it can really begin.

Reactions: cyclones22

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Look if they were getting out shot 30-10 and losing by 4 or 5 goals, then I'd be worried. But the fact is that they have outplayed their opponents in most of their games so far and when they are down they are never out, but they have had real bad defense and goaltending. I'm sure all of these guys want to win every single time they're out there and I don't think winning only 1 game so far is helping morale, but you have to look at the big picture. 2 of these guys wouldn't even be here if it weren't for unique circumstances and the rest of the roster is playing their first professional minutes as well. Just relax

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I don't like the fact that we basically haven't seen Byfield's shot. The PP deployment is stupid with him as this should be a chance to his skill shine. Sure, he got fortunate with one no-look between the legs pass but then they keep setting up that same play which is low percentage. Granted, they have two guys in Fagemo and Kaliyev that are designate shooters on the power play but it still needs to be asked if they are using Byfield correctly on the PP.

The answer to that question is obviously "no" since none other than Craig Johnson is coaching the power play. It's wild that a guy that contributed greatly to the LAPD-era ending is now in a position to ruin something else before it can really begin.

I want to see QB...QB the powerplay like he does for his OHL team. Durzi has not done well in that role unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad