Ontario Reign 19-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Way too early to tell on who makes the Kings from the NHL contracts group, but here is the group of players that potentially ONT can choose from to make the roster:

AHL contracts
Sutter C/LW
Bryon LW/RW
Halloran RW
Doty LW/RW

NHL contracts
Anderson-Dolan C
Kupari C/RW
Fagemo LW/RW
Thomas C/LW
Dudas C/LW
Sodergran LW
Morrison C/LW**
Rymsha C**
Turcotte C
Madden C
Rempal RW*
Eyssimont LW*
Imama LW*
Luff RW*

Bjornfot
Durzi
Phillips
Clague
Strand*
Reddekopp*
Moverare
Brickley
Hults

Villalta
Ingham
+poss AHL/NHL vet goalie (Ingham could be ticketed for the ECHL).
Kehler*

*denotes RFA, some likely not qualified and become UFA's
**likely ECHL

I did not list Grundstrom since he is no longer waiver exempt and not likely exposed. I would imagine there could be other AHL signings plus camp invites as we get closer.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Way too early to tell on who makes the Kings from the NHL contracts group, but here is the group of players that potentially ONT can choose from to make the roster:

AHL contracts
Sutter C/LW
Bryon LW/RW
Halloran RW
Doty LW/RW

NHL contracts
Anderson-Dolan C
Kupari C/RW
Fagemo LW/RW
Thomas C/LW
Dudas C/LW
Sodergran LW
Morrison C/LW**
Rymsha C**
Turcotte C
Madden C
Rempal RW*
Eyssimont LW*
Imama LW*
Luff RW*

Bjornfot
Durzi
Phillips
Clague
Strand*
Reddekopp*
Moverare
Brickley
Hults

Villalta
Ingham
+poss AHL/NHL vet goalie (Ingham could be ticketed for the ECHL).
Kehler*

*denotes RFA, some likely not qualified and become UFA's
**likely ECHL

I did not list Grundstrom since he is no longer waiver exempt and not likely exposed. I would imagine there could be other AHL signings plus camp invites as we get closer.
It’s a strong group, even stronger than I thought seeing you list it out and really highlights the importance of the hire. They should be able to put out an exciting young lineup with some important veteran guys helping them along. It wouldn’t surprise me if there are some early hiccups as the new guys adjust to playing pro but that’s part of the process.

I completely agree on Grundström. The only way he doesn’t start in LA is if he is traded. I am still high on him and think he will put it together, but he’s also someone I could see being used to move up into the 1st round, sweetening one of the deals using the 2nd rounders. I hope not though.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
It’s a strong group, even stronger than I thought seeing you list it out and really highlights the importance of the hire. They should be able to put out an exciting young lineup with some important veteran guys helping them along. It wouldn’t surprise me if there are some early hiccups as the new guys adjust to playing pro but that’s part of the process.

I completely agree on Grundström. The only way he doesn’t start in LA is if he is traded. I am still high on him and think he will put it together, but he’s also someone I could see being used to move up into the 1st round, sweetening one of the deals using the 2nd rounders. I hope not though.

Last season's squad started slow as well then started to kick-ass as they jelled. I imagine with a new coach and system, it could start the same.

I think Grunstrom is ear-marked to replace one of Lewis or Prokhorkin as both are likely gone (Prok for sure). Amadio is probably on the watch list too, but JAD is his likely replacement. Amadio is so freaking soft. Sometimes he looks like a player, but he's a frustrating player to watch.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Can someone please post a lineup of Ontario’s lines last year ? I wanna make a note of possible lineup because it is honestly exciting that we are going to be this stacked with talent and can get better idea of what prospect will stick In the future and where they might fit in .

Also I’m just really confused which one of Kupari , Thomas , Madden , Turcotte will be wings or centers .

Was Vilardi and Kupari tried at center last year in Ontario ? I know Vilardi was center in LA just wondering about Ontario . This is insane lol . When does next season start !

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Can someone please post a lineup of Ontario’s lines last year ? I wanna make a note of possible lineup because it is honestly exciting that we are going to be this stacked with talent and can get better idea of what prospect will stick In the future and where they might fit in .

Also I’m just really confused which one of Kupari , Thomas , Madden , Turcotte will be wings or centers .

Was Vilardi and Kupari tried at center last year in Ontario ? I know Vilardi was center in LA just wondering about Ontario . This is insane lol . When does next season start !

That's a bit of a tall order since one thing Stothers was famous for was moving players around on lines to try and find a combination that works. Much more movement on the lines than the Kings do. Remember, Vilardi did not start the season with the Reign, he was still injured but when he did he played about 1 1/2 games on RW, but was immediately moved to C where he played the remainder of the season with the Reign or the Kings exclusively at C. Kupari played at C all season with the Reign until he was injured. He started out as the 1C if I recall correctly, but worked his way down to 2C and even 3C as he struggled. I'm not sure about Madden, but I think he only played C in college. Turcotte played some LW in the NDTP but was primarily a C the last couple of years. Thomas can play wing or C.

One line that gelled the last few months of the season was Eyssimont-JAD-Byron. They played very well as a unit and were the team's primary threat after Frk and Vilardi were promoted. Frk and Vilardi were a good combo at both levels. Sodergran started out on the higher lines but worked his way to the 4th. Sutter played C or LW, usually on 3rd line. Luff and Grundstrom where top six guys at RW and LW respectively, but like a said, players rotated quite often. Rempal's game fell off a cliff (he's in danger of not getting a qualifying offer), although he did play well the last month of the season before it came to an abrupt halt.

I'll give it a try here, with the following assumptions as of today's date, and these are not all realistic (some of these players could make the Kings roster).

Assumption #1, Grundstrom is on the Kings (not exposed to waivers, too risky).
Assumption #2, Imama, Reddekopp, Rempal and Kehler are not qualified and become UFA's.
Assumption #3, Strand, Eyssimont and Luff are qualified, and Luff passes through waivers.
Assumption #4, We don't know who else the Kings (and be sent down) and or Reign will sign from other organizations, so obviously things can change.

Fagemo-Madden-Luff
Thomas-Turcotte-Kupari
Eyssimont-JAD-Bryon
Sodergran or Dudas-Sutter-Halloran
Doty, Morrison and Rymsha as extras (I can see Morrison and Rymsha going back to the ECHL)

Bjornfot-Clague
Brickley-Strand
Hults or Moverare and Durzi
Phillips

Obviously Bjornfot or Clague making the Kings changes the dynamic and will make this once again a very young defense, not ideal for the AHL. LaDue is a huge loss for this team.

Villalta
Ingham
My guess is they bring in an NHL/AHL vet and sent Ingham to the ECHL to play everyday. Organization will want some NHL experience around in case one of Petersen or Quick are injured.

KingsofLA

Jan 21, 2020
Will be interesting what coach Wroblewski will do in Ontario. My line up is more based on what LA might want to put together up in the big team
Luff - Turcotte - Fagemo=probably going to try and see if these two can gel similar to Turcotte-Caufield
Byron - JAD - Thomas = Think they have a chance to be the future stopper unit
Not Signed Yet - Madden - Kupari = expect a vet that will do well in preseason & earn a contract.
Imama - Sutter - Dudas = Feel like Imama will get a AHL contract. Kids still need to be protected and Doty will rarely play.
Sodergran =might win the 3rd line position if he improves
Doty = might play if they play a rivalry game with team playing a heave weight

Bjornto-Strand = Do see Strand back. Team will see if he can dev
Moverare-Clague = Hoping Clague can pull off a Martinez type player
Hults-Durzi = Im excited for Hults. Hopefully he turns into a tougher Matt Roy
Phillips

& Goalies...I don't freaking know. Maybe trade a pick for one or sign a young free agent. Needs more quality competition

Vino

Mar 19, 2006
Finland
Byron - Madden - Luff
JAD - Turcotte - Fagemo
Sodergran/Eyssimont - Sutter - Kupari/Thomas
Sodergran/Eyssimont - Veteran X - Kupari/Thomas

Extras: Halloran, Doty, Morrison (ECHL) and Rymsha (ECHL). Dudas back to the OHL.

Moverare - Clague
Veteran X - Strand/Durzi
Hults - Durzi/Strand

Extras: Brickley, Phillips
In the NHL: Björnfot

Villalta
Veteran X

PP1: Madden, Fagemo, Sutter, Clague, Turcotte,
PP2: Luff, Byron, Kupari, Veteran D, Strand/Durzi

SH1: Sutter, Luff, Moverare, Clague
SH2: Veteran FF, JAD, Veteran D, Hults/Strand

- Veteran Forward X and Veteran Dman X should be bigger physical players, because team is otherwise a really soft.

- Imama is a pretty good fighter/agitator, but he is a below average hockey player (takes stupid penalties, looking big hits all the time and therefore often out of position, a poor stickhandler/passer).

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
- Veteran Forward X and Veteran Dman X should be bigger physical players, because team is otherwise a really soft.

- Imama is a pretty good fighter/agitator, but he is a below average hockey player (takes stupid penalties, looking big hits all the time and therefore often out of position, a poor stick handler/passer).

I agree the team is a bit soft, and I'm not sure how Robo (new coach's nickname) will be in this area, as he wants to be an attack team coach, and players like Doty bring the skill level down a few notches. The good news is Robo has AHL assistant coaching experience, so he knows what to expect. If Reddekopp wasn't so poor at actually playing defense, he would fit the bill to bring the physical play up a notch, but he's just a train wreck most nights with his coverage, so I'm hoping they let him go. Brickley has size that would help the D. Bouma was a good veteran add last year that played a physical game, but his constant stick penalties put the team in the hole often with a team that had a poor PK. I think I remember hearing he had the most minor penalties in the entire AHL. I think Dudas will make the team. He did not look out of place as an 18 year old two years ago when he got a call up at the end of the season, and the Reign need some solid PK guys, which if I recall he looked good in that role on Team Canada in the WJC. If Clague makes the Kings, the Reign will be short a D man on the right side. That will be a dilemma.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Especially in our division there are some absolute shitbags running around, so I can't imagine a Reign team without at least one version of Imama.

We have some tough kids but that's all they are, kids. I'm sure even Robo notices they're gonna need some battleships.

Reactions: BallPointHammer

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I agree the team is a bit soft, and I'm not sure how Robo (new coach's nickname) will be in this area, as he wants to be an attack team coach, and players like Doty bring the skill level down a few notches. The good news is Robo has AHL assistant coaching experience, so he knows what to expect. If Reddekopp wasn't so poor at actually playing defense, he would fit the bill to bring the physical play up a notch, but he's just a train wreck most nights with his coverage, so I'm hoping they let him go. Brickley has size that would help the D. Bouma was a good veteran add last year that played a physical game, but his constant stick penalties put the team in the hole often with a team that had a poor PK. I think I remember hearing he had the most minor penalties in the entire AHL. I think Dudas will make the team. He did not look out of place as an 18 year old two years ago when he got a call up at the end of the season, and the Reign need some solid PK guys, which if I recall he looked good in that role on Team Canada in the WJC. If Clague makes the Kings, the Reign will be short a D man on the right side. That will be a dilemma.
I agree that Dudas makes it into the AHL. They have really high hopes for him and they certainly hope he can carve himself a role in the NHL even if it’s a bit of a long shot. His size means it’ll take at least a couple of years when he gains his ‘man-strength’ but they love his character and his game IQ. He will be given every chance possible.

I also think there’s a good chance Imama is resigned. He’s come along ok and certainly adds needed toughness and he seems well thought off. The issue will be contracts with all the prospects so I expect he signs an AHL contract with the Reign, not a Kings contract. They need him or someone similar on the roster.

Vino

Mar 19, 2006
Finland
Dudas. If all kids (rookies Madden, Turcotte, Fagemo, Thomas, Halloran, 2nd years JAD, Kupari, Sodergran) play in the AHL and Reign sign one or two tougher veteran FFs (already Sutter, Byron) and resign Luff, Eyssimont, how much there is icetime left? Therefore they should send Dudas back to the OHL. I belive, that Dudas can play in the AHL, but is it better play very limited minutes in Ontario or a lots of in the OHL?

Doty. He played 18/57 (one third). If he plays more than that next season, I will be surprised. In my mind he is smarter than Imama and he is not an awful/slow skater, but like regulate wrote "players like Doty bring the skill level down a few notches". It's vitally important, that they sign two bigger physical players, who can actually play hockey. And I know that is easier said than done.

Vino

Mar 19, 2006
Finland
We have some tough kids but that's all they are, kids. I'm sure even Robo notices they're gonna need some battleships.

Like who? I think Blake/Yannetti have not drafted a single tougher customer (drafts 2018-2020). Our prospectpool is physically extremely soft. And also in my mind on this board vastly overrated.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Are the two Poehlings brothers?

They're actually...
513vDwL4D7L._AC_.jpg

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
They are literally twins in case you thought he was joking AND they're the older bros of Ryan Poehling

We must have been running low on our SCST quotas, now we're bringing aboard clones!

Vino

Mar 19, 2006
Finland
It's easy to understand why they signed Jack Sadek (right shooting dman), but why Poehling Twins?

Vino

Mar 19, 2006
Finland
Sadek is an ECHL'er. I mean I don't really understand the signing of any of these guys.

Ontario's right side (defence): Paul LaDue is UFA (unlikely comes back), Kale Clague (NHL or AHL?),
Austin Strand is RFA (not resigned yet), Sean Durzi => there is no depht.

Sadek had a good season in the ECHL, maybye he can play in the AHL. If he can't play in the AHL, send him back to the ECHL. I think Sadek is a good gamble. And a nice think is, that he is bigger guy ( 6'2" 196 lbs).

Token

May 15, 2019
We add depth players because guys get hurt all the time.

Same reason why Blake wants a body or two to be signed on the Kings.

Just like last season, Hutton and Ryan were the depth D in and out of the roster.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
We add depth players because guys get hurt all the time.

Same reason why Blake wants a body or two to be signed on the Kings.

Just like last season, Hutton and Ryan were the depth D in and out of the roster.
There were already enough bodies for injuries even if if they don't sign the remaining RFA's.

AHL contracts
Sutter C/LW
Bryon LW/RW
Halloran RW
Doty LW/RW
Poehling 1
Poehling 2
Sadek D

NHL contracts
Anderson-Dolan C
Kupari C/RW
Fagemo LW/RW
Thomas C/LW
Dudas C/LW
Sodergran LW
Morrison C/LW likely to the E
Rymsha C likely to the E
Turcotte C
Madden C

Bjornfot
Durzi
Phillips
Clague
Moverare
Brickley
Hults

Reddekopp and Strand RFA's on D, luff,imana, eyssimont and rempal RFA's at F.

Reactions: Token
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad