Post-Game Talk: Only Morgan Reilly has a high read on the Give a ___ Reader. (Leafs Lose 5-4).

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I'm starting to think Shanahan has given Horachek carte blanche to deal with some of these guys to test their comfort levels by forcing them to play a system they don't like and see how they react. Might be a ploy to get some of those NTC's waived by this new version of the Muskoka 5..

pretty much. He went from "aww we'll be okay" to "we're reading zero on the give an s meter" pretty quick.

[apparently he and Clarkson had words too?]

ironhorse384

Dec 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I'm starting to think Shanahan has given Horachek carte blanche to deal with some of these guys to test their comfort levels by forcing them to play a system they don't like and see how they react. Might be a ploy to get some of those NTC's waived by this new version of the Muskoka 5..

If that's true then maybe its time to bench some of this other high priced talent that's underachieving in addition to Clarkson.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
pretty much. He went from "aww we'll be okay" to "we're reading zero on the give an s meter" pretty quick.

[apparently he and Clarkson had words too?]

if you heard about this then watched the video, you'd be disappointed. it looked like a conversation where a player learned he was being scratched. Nothing more.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
if you heard about this then watched the video, you'd be disappointed. it looked like a conversation where a player learned he was being scratched. Nothing more.

oho. boo (I didn't even know there was video) i just heard
"very strong words"

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Didn't watch the game.

Was Rielly really that good?

He was on the ice for 3 goals.

ironhorse384

Dec 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB

The press tried to blow it out of proportion as usual. They had a conversation, its not like Clarkson was having a fit, he just looked as though he was expressing himself. It certainly didn't look like a confrontation on the outside at least.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
If that's true then maybe its time to bench some of this other high priced talent that's underachieving in addition to Clarkson.
But that might take it into the realm of alienating the player which isn't good for either the Leafs or the player. Obviously Clarkson is in a unique position. He's completely useless but he's here till 2020 collecting a fat paycheque. Sitting him is long overdue because at least the others have played well before this terrible stretch.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
Highlights after the game that popped out to me "Marc Staal beats Gardiner to the outside". This guy gets beat regularly to the outside, can't play defense.

Ofcourse you notice the guy you hate, I bet you never noticed Fransons part in the 2nd goal against did you?

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
oho. boo (I didn't even know there was video) i just heard
"very strong words"

I heard about it and couldn't wait to watch. Popcorn was wasted. I was mad.

The press tried to blow it out of proportion as usual. They had a conversation, its not like Clarkson was having a fit, he just looked as though he was expressing himself. It certainly didn't look like a confrontation on the outside at least.

I've seen guys get more worked up when they find out they have to play

ironhorse384

Dec 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
But that might take it into the realm of alienating the player which isn't good for either the Leafs or the player. Obviously Clarkson is in a unique position. He's completely useless but he's here till 2020 collecting a fat paycheque. Sitting him is long overdue because at least the others have played well before this terrible stretch.

If these players are that fragile psychologically then you have to wonder whether or not you can win with certain players moving forward. The ability to deal with pressure and succeed is in most cases the difference between winning and losing. You might get lucky once in a while and be successful despite yourself but at the end of the day the guy that can perform when the chips are down is the guy I want on my team, not someone who folds like a cheap tent.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
If these players are that fragile psychologically then you have to wonder whether or not you can win with certain players moving forward. The ability to deal with pressure and succeed is in most cases the difference between winning and losing. You might get lucky once in a while and be successful despite yourself but at the end of the day the guy that can perform when the chips are down is the guy I want on my team, not someone who folds like a cheap tent.
You can have a couple of those guys but this team is full of players who fold up.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Idk bout the 3rd goal but for 2 of the goals it was because of Franson

First goal Polak was on the ice, and Rielly wasn't able to cut off the pass and lost him to the side of the net. Rielly's fault.

Second goal, soft goal by Reimer but potential screen by Rielly?

Third goal, not much blame. But again, his man with the primary assist.

ironhorse384

Dec 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
You can have a couple of those guys but this team is full of players who fold up.

Exactly, the pack it in mentality that permeates this organization has gone on for too long. There's not enough tooth and nails guys on this team and I really hope that they can start doing something about that. It doesn't have to be overnight, it just needs to point in the right direction and have some tangible improvement. This current squad is stagnant and uninspired on most nights and that was voiced by the coach tonight. We've seen too many nights where it seems just showing up for the game is a chore for some of these guys.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
So here we are, 5 years later wishing for management to rebuild... What do we get out of 5 years... Rielly???

I swear, me as an armchair gm would have done much better running this team than Burke and co.

ironhorse384

Dec 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
So here we are, 5 years later wishing for management to rebuild... What do we get out of 5 years... Rielly???

I swear, me as an armchair gm would have done much better running this team than Burke and co.

Imagine the picks you might have had to work with if you'd gone the slow steady approach.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

The Leafs probably could've sat on their hands and done very little from 2008 to now and still have a better team. Foolishly clawing at and hoping to squeak into the playoffs at a low seed has gotten this franchise into so much trouble the past decade.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
How much return on investment did MLSE get from Kessel/Clarkson/Phaneuf tonight?

Are they $20 Million combined?

I miss capgeek... but those 3 represent all that is broken with this franchise.

Not all. Don't forget the Board of Directors, Leiweke, Shanahan, Nonis, the coach and some of the scouts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad