Speculation: One unamed NHL GM: “I’m trying to move out bad contracts so I can give out some more tomorrow.”

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Wouldn't surprise me if its MB saying he wants to move Alzner and Weise to make room to knowingly overpay Duchene and/or Gardiner. Sometimes its worth it to overpay to get your guy. I'm not sure this is one of those situations though.
When is that? Like when its your team winning the bidding?

Reactions: generalshepherd141

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
When is that? Like when its your team winning the bidding?

When its the last piece and you are in a win now situation. If you have a mediocre roster that you are trying to prop up with UFAs its doomed to fail. If you have a solid roster that just needs one specific guy then go for it.

Reactions: MSSLYNX

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Every GM knows they’ll be overpaying July 1, whether it be dollar or year wise. Free agency gambling is just that, gambling. Will this player bring success before his contract bites me in the ass.

Nice to see a GM outright say it though :laugh:

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Just curious as to what bad contract Benning has handed out? When LE was signed it was a signing 16 other teams were interested in doing. The fact it hasn't worked out isn't Bennings fault. A bad contract is one that will impede a team for along time LE and his cap hit will not cost the Nucks a chance at a player they want as we have 35 mill coming off the books before his contract even expires. He wont require a protection spot like lucic will. People who hat JB remind me of liberals. They believe everything they read and arecto lazy to actually do a little research and form their own opinion.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Not benning hes not self aware

This screams Dale Tallon
This doesn’t strike me as a self-aware situation.

Think more Harvey Dent going full Lennie (Of Mice and Men) and having a conversation with himself;
I’m trying to move out bad contracts....

...(sly smile like he’s in on some inside joke only he gets) so I can give out some more tomorrow.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
That sounds a bit like Chiarelli stuff two years ago:

Drafted Puljujarvi on 24th day of June
Didn't draft DeBrincat(McDavids former teammate) on 25th day
Traded Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson on 29th day
On 1st day of July signed Lucic for 7 years with 42 million dollar salary
Damn beat me to it.

Also that one week epitomizes the entire tenure of post-Gretzky Oilers moves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad