Speculation: One unamed NHL GM: “I’m trying to move out bad contracts so I can give out some more tomorrow.”

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I certainly hope said GM is not Holland and is joking about the enviable circumstances that most GMs run into.
If Nyqvist signs with Edmonton for 7 years we'll have our answer.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I wonder if a GM actually said that (jokingly, obviously) or if that’s more so Miller projecting the thoughts of GMs on FA day.

Reactions: Shark Finn

tgoat

Jan 3, 2016
That sounds a bit like Chiarelli stuff two years ago:

Drafted Puljujarvi on 24th day of June
Didn't draft DeBrincat(McDavids former teammate) on 25th day
Traded Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson on 29th day
On 1st day of July signed Lucic for 7 years with 42 million dollar salary

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Not benning hes not self aware

This screams Dale Tallon

No way. Tallon already has money to hand out bad contracts. Rutherford. Has to be him. He still needs to move some guys to have money to do more stupid stuff.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Wouldn't surprise me if its MB saying he wants to move Alzner and Weise to make room to knowingly overpay Duchene and/or Gardiner. Sometimes its worth it to overpay to get your guy. I'm not sure this is one of those situations though.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
That sounds a bit like Chiarelli stuff two years ago:

Drafted Puljujarvi on 24th day of June
Didn't draft DeBrincat(McDavids former teammate) on 25th day
Traded Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson on 29th day
On 1st day of July signed Lucic for 7 years with 42 million dollar salary

Even as a non Oilers fan this hurts to read. Franchise ruining summer that was.

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
Wouldn't surprise me if its MB saying he wants to move Alzner and Weise to make room to knowingly overpay Duchene and/or Gardiner. Sometimes its worth it to overpay to get your guy. I'm not sure this is one of those situations though.

A heroin junkie would have an easier time moving his bowels than MB moving those two turds..

Reactions: PelagicJoe

Matt24

Apr 8, 2013
As much as we all want this to be Benning, we all know he lacks the proper dose of irreverence to make such a claim about himself.

Reactions: JayBeautiful

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I feel like GM’s often are aware of how bad some of the contracts they hand out are, more than anyone realizes. They probably know that there’s a good chance they won’t be around to deal with the long-term ramifications if their moves fail anyway. I’m sure most of them would trade success or a Cup now for obstacles years down the road too. You see similar attitudes at every workplace ever when expectations are high or there’s a lack of accountability.

Reactions: tmurfin

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
JBB. I love me some Stevie Y, but he gave out way to mean NMC/NTC contracts...

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
A heroin junkie would have an easier time moving his bowels than MB moving those two turds..

Alzner sure, Weise wouldn't be that hard. He's probably not even worth moving as if he's in the AHL it would only be 1 more year at about 1M.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad