One trick pony Ovechkin leading the league in ES assists

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Seems to me like he's adapted to a younger and faster league. Of course he was always an elite player and by far the best goalscorer in the league, but it's got him back in the conversation for top 5 player in the league.Decision making has improved (I guess there is no age to stop learning), he's a step quicker than he was the past 2 years or so. Physical skills haven't declined and he's worked on his playmaking abilities or rediscovered them.

User9992

Feb 27, 2016
Quote: McDavid & Draisaitl scored like 50% of their 45 points on PP this season. While Ovi has only 10 PP points out of his 46.

Reactions: SeanConn

User9992

Feb 27, 2016
He also leads NHL in Even Strength Points with 9 points gap! And only 10 out of his 46 points are from PP.

McDavid & Drai - PP abusers? :laugh:

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Gotta love ovi, especially when not playing against him. Don't think he catches Gretzky but 2nd all time in goals is still Amazing and he deserves all the awards he's gotten, will be first Ballot hall of fame and go down as one of the leagues best players ever.

Zuluss

May 19, 2011
Seems to me like he's adapted to a younger and faster league. Of course he was always an elite player and by far the best goalscorer in the league, but it's got him back in the conversation for top 5 player in the league.Decision making has improved (I guess there is no age to stop learning), he's a step quicker than he was the past 2 years or so. Physical skills haven't declined and he's worked on his playmaking abilities or rediscovered them.

Giving an old man some rest can do wonders. :)
Proven by Jagr in 2005/06.
Hopefully Ovechkin's current season will follow the same trajectory.

SeanConn

Apr 25, 2018
New Cork, New Brunswick, Canada
upload_2021-12-16_3-6-57.png

amazing!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
Unless you played at some kind of pro level you would not be able to score on an NHL goalie even with Gretzky and Lemieux on your line. You would also never be open for a pass and if you got the puck it would be taken from you instantly since there are 5 NHL players trying to stop you.

What is the highest level you played at?
There are not always 5 NHLer's in your way though. I see some goals that I can imagine most juniors players can score if they're wide open and know where to be. Even with Gretzky on my line? That's extreme. I wish there was a way of proving this. I've played at a pretty high level. (Not professional) If you're wide open for an open net with an elite playmaker it wouldn't be hard at all, my source is just watching games and seeing how clueless team d can be. Watch harder.

Doing things like snipe top corner of the net, to someone who never played, may seem like this amazing thing, but a 7 year old kid can score it.

Anyway OV GOAT and gonna break Gretzky record.:popcorn:

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
Ovechkin is a great passer, it's just when your shot so good that you win 9 Rockets (and counting), that you're needed to put the puck in the net. Some posters in HF have actually criticized him for having so few assists even while he is winning Rockets.
He used to be able to put up 50 goals and 110+ points, lately he's been more of a 50 and 80-90 guy and seems to play differently, not skating with the puck as much and not driving his line as much. It's valid to point out that he's not the same player that he used to be.

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
Imagine being one of those weirdos who hated on ovi for like 10 years LOL dude is a MACHINE what a treat to watch def one of the GOATS
Let's not engage in revisionist history and pretend that some of it wasn't justified. He did go through a long stretch of being underwhelming in the playoffs before the caps won the cup.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Let's not engage in revisionist history and pretend that some of it wasn't justified. He did go through a long stretch of being underwhelming in the playoffs before the caps won the cup.
Huh? He has basically been a point per game player in his 141 playoff games. He has 599 hits in those 141 games. He has been underwhelming a couple or few seasons max in the 13 seasons he's been to the playoffs, but saying long stretch is not quite true.

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
Huh? He has basically been a point per game player in his 141 playoff games. He has 599 hits in those 141 games. He has been underwhelming a couple or few seasons max in the 13 seasons he's been to the playoffs, but saying long stretch is not quite true.
He had a 5 year stretch before they won the cup where he was underwhelming in the playoffs and that's when a lot of the criticism started piling up.

Randyne

May 20, 2012
Justified hate from his haters? Haters don't like his all-time great performance which shadow their idol. Haters adore Ovechkin's 'slumps'.
Also Ovechkin has the same number of under PPG playoffs as Crosby.

pezpunk

May 3, 2013

He had a 5 year stretch before they won the cup where he was underwhelming in the playoffs and that's when a lot of the criticism started piling up.

no.

no he didn't.

he was always great in the playoffs. The rest of the team usually didn't show up.

i mean ... you're just wrong.

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
Justified hate from his haters? Haters don't like his all-time great performance which shadow their idol. Haters adore Ovechkin's 'slumps'.
Also Ovechkin has the same number of under PPG playoffs as Crosby.
Yes, some of the criticism in the past was valid. Ovie had a 5 year stretch of underwhelming playoffs before they won the cup. Three of Crosbys under a ppg playoffs have come recently after Pitt won two cups in a row that Crosby played a huge part of so of course people aren't going to focus much on that, context matters.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Doesn't make him not a machine. His 'struggle' years are only in competition with himself. Most players don't have the same standard he has. And it wasn't for a lack of effort.

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
no.

no he didn't.

he was always great in the playoffs. The rest of the team usually didn't show up.

i mean ... you're just wrong.
21 goals and 40 points in 60 games during a 5 year stretch before the cup, you consider that " great" for someone of ovies caliber? Did you even bother to check his stats before claiming I was wrong?

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
21 goals and 40 points in 60 games during a 5 year stretch before the cup, you consider that " great" for someone of ovies caliber? Did you even bother to check his stats before claiming I was wrong?
We all literally know his stats by heart.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
There are not always 5 NHLer's in your way though. I see some goals that I can imagine most juniors players can score if they're wide open and know where to be. Even with Gretzky on my line? That's extreme. I wish there was a way of proving this. I've played at a pretty high level. (Not professional) If you're wide open for an open net with an elite playmaker it wouldn't be hard at all, my source is just watching games and seeing how clueless team d can be. Watch harder.

Doing things like snipe top corner of the net, to someone who never played, may seem like this amazing thing, but a 7 year old kid can score it.

Anyway OV GOAT and gonna break Gretzky record.:popcorn:

Agree with the bolded, the rest i would beg to differ. But that's alright:)

Randyne

May 20, 2012
Yes, some of the criticism in the past was valid. Ovie had a 5 year stretch of underwhelming playoffs before they won the cup. Three of Crosbys under a ppg playoffs have come recently after Pitt won two cups in a row that Crosby played a huge part of so of course people aren't going to focus much on that, context matters.
Sure, but you quote was about "haters weirdos" not "critics". There is no need for valid criticism to be justified.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad