One trick pony Ovechkin leading the league in ES assists

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He said recently in an interview with his wife that he’s retiring from the NHL when his new contract expires.

I would only add to that, if he is still producing like Ovechkin at 40, he is not going to retire. Guys dont quit the best job they will ever have when they are still elite at it.

mratch19

Jul 27, 2010
Vancouver
Can we all just admire that Kadri is on that list? What a year he is having, wow! - Oh yeah and Ovi's a beast :D - I don't think anyone could have ever called him one-dimensional with any logic, seeing as hitting/physicality and goal scoring are two different dimensions of the game...

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Lol the f*** is that comparison.

Higher points per game in the regular season and playoffs and better defensively. Don't get me wrong though Ovechkin's entire career is on another level now, but that's a testament to his health more than anything else which he deserves credit for.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I would only add to that, if he is still producing like Ovechkin at 40, he is not going to retire. Guys dont quit the best job they will ever have when they are still elite at it.

He’d be pushing 950-1000 goals at that point, I could see him stick around only in that scenario

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He’d be pushing 950-1000 goals at that point, I could see him stick around only in that scenario

What I am saying is that if he is going full on Tom Brady, he isn't going to stop. If his body is giving up and his production sliding and the fun falling away, sure. I just think its a mistake to expect his game to decline until you see an actual trend in that regard. I think after so many people had him retired already, to expect he is going to retire is a mistake.

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
10 first and 8 secondary 5v5. 1 first and 4 secondary on PP where he is set up to shoot not create. He is not in a position to Get assist on the PP. Mostly rebounds or if Carlson shoots after passing between them around the Blue line.

So 32 primary points for Ovi. McDavid has 34 while Drai has 38.
Where do you find your stats? I've been looking for these stats on a website for a couple years now and I struggle finding them.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
What I am saying is that if he is going full on Tom Brady, he isn't going to stop. If his body is giving up and his production sliding and the fun falling away, sure. I just think its a mistake to expect his game to decline until you see an actual trend in that regard. I think after so many people had him retired already, to expect he is going to retire is a mistake.

I can see him doing that but the reality is it depends on what he views as his priorities in life at that point. Maybe he wants to go back to Dynamo Moscow while he still has gas in the tank after breaking the record, we don’t know.

He did say however that he would never play for a team other than the Capitals in the NHL.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I can see him doing that but the reality is it depends on what he views as his priorities in life at that point. Maybe he wants to go back to Dynamo Moscow while he still has gas in the tank after breaking the record, we don’t know.

He did say however that he would never play for a team other than the Capitals in the NHL.

Maybe he wants to go back to Moscow. Yea, people had him retiring years ago for that reason. Thats what I am talking about specifically. Trying to box him into retiring is a mistake.

My feeling for a good while has been that he has a handshake agreement with Leonsis to take on a significant role with the team upon retirement. So, my take is that he isn't going back to Russia to live full time.

SeanConn

Apr 25, 2018
New Cork, New Brunswick, Canada
This is right up there with the season that Wilt Chamberlain led the NBA in assists (after all his detractors said he only cared about his individual scoring). Wilt is still the only center to do that in NBA history. I'm assuming another wing had already led the NHL in even strength points, but without even looking it up, it's certain to be something usually led by centers, not wingers.

Ovi is really shutting up all his detractors this season. Bravo! :clap::bow:

Reactions: pezpunk

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Not really... It's more nuanced than that. If you're in a perfect position for a tap-in with an elite playmaker, just go in front of the net and it's fairly easy to score goals. Even at the NHL level. Goalies aren't SO good that they can flop and cover a wide open net consistently.

Playmakers have to be more creative in a game and pass the perfect pass to the perfect person at the perfect time with the vision to pull it off. It's probably not as easy as you think. The timing makes it more difficult than scoring a goal for a tap-in or a rebound. Like, I haven't skated in over a year and if I practiced a bit, I'm very confident that I can score a goal with Panarin on my line.

Overvaluing goals is what gets Jeff Skinner a 9 mil contract.

Obviously sniping from the blueline is probably harder, but simply scoring goals is probably a lot easier than you think if you have an elite playmaker. I mean, I don't know if you ever played competitive hockey or how old you are, but if you're in the right position being setup- I'm sure you can score a goal. Elite playmaking requires vision and it's not as easy as you may think. It's not NHL 22.

Just my 2 cents not trying to harass you but hope you have a gr8 day. (No pun intended.)

Unless you played at some kind of pro level you would not be able to score on an NHL goalie even with Gretzky and Lemieux on your line. You would also never be open for a pass and if you got the puck it would be taken from you instantly since there are 5 NHL players trying to stop you.

What is the highest level you played at?

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Elite playmakers should be valued higher than snipers.

I think they are. As great as Gretzky and Lemieux were at goal scoring, I still look at both of them more as playmakers who could make their linemates better.

The more one dimensional goal scorers like Bossy, Bure, and Hull Jr. are still admired, but not nearly as much.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Unless you played at some kind of pro level you would not be able to score on an NHL goalie even with Gretzky and Lemieux on your line. You would also never be open for a pass and if you got the puck it would be taken from you instantly since there are 5 NHL players trying to stop you.

What is the highest level you played at?

So you think the hockey world (the players, coaches, GMs, and the media) all have it wrong when they seemingly look at elite goalscoring and elite playmaking as being very close in value?

Why hasn't the Hart and Lindsay awards, the biggest contracts and signings, icetime etc.. all show a clear bias towards the elite goalscorers in the league?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I guess we can now adjust Ovechkin's Rocket trophies to reflect only those where he lead in ES goals?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
So you think the hockey world (the players, coaches, GMs, and the media) all have it wrong when they seemingly look at elite goalscoring and elite playmaking as being very close in value?

Why hasn't the Hart and Lindsay awards, the biggest contracts and signings, icetime etc.. all show a clear bias towards the elite goalscorers in the league?

They do show bias towards elite goal scoring over elite playmaking. That’s why a 40 goal scorer makes more on his contract than a 40 assist playmaker.

Now if you’re comparing a 50 goal scorer to a 70 assist player, I would agree that they are very close in value from that standpoint.

Reactions: Plural and Leksand

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
You can say what you want. I think most here know your agenda.

If my agenda is to point out the silliness in stating that Ovechkin sacrificed being an elite playmaker for goalsoring, then most would agree with that.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
They do show bias towards elite goal scoring over elite playmaking. That’s why a 40 goal scorer makes more on his contract than a 40 assist playmaker.

Now if you’re comparing a 50 goal scorer to a 70 assist player, I would agree that they are very close in value from that standpoint.

The clear bias is towards overall point production with a slight bias towards goals scored vs. assists. There is no pattern that a goalscorer is going to be viewed as equal to a superior overall point producer regardless of their breakdown of goals and assists.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
He needs to remain a "shoot first" type of guy but his play in general is abselutely great. Physical and durable on top of that. Incredible.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
The clear bias is towards overall point production with a slight bias towards goals scored vs. assists. There is no pattern that a goalscorer is going to be viewed as equal to a superior overall point producer regardless of their breakdown of goals and assists.

If you have two players with the following stat lines, which one do you think gets higher consideration for the Hart trophy?

Player A: 30 goals 65 assist 95 pts
Player B: 50 goals 40 assists 90 pts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad