Injury Report: Ondrej Pavelec reportedly left MTSC on crutches (MOD Warning post #26) (Update)

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Time for a couple of rule reminders:

2) Trolling: Wishing injury/illness on anyone (players, members, etc.) will be regarded as trolling/offensive in most cases.

16) Playing the Role of Moderator: You're not a moderator so don't correct posters as if you were a moderator. If a thread or post violates the rules, use the "Report This Post" button rather than playing the parent.

There's going to be zero tolerance in this thread re: these two rules. Infractions and thread bans from this point forward. Carry on.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
In a perfect world he'd get more time with the Moose, but I guess it will be nice to see what he is capable of, IF he even plays a game. Hutch is still healthy.

I'm looking forward to it as well. Will be good for him to at least get his feet wet. He'll likely get a start or two at least.

Derfel*

I'm looking forward to it as well. Will be good for him to at least get his feet wet. He'll likely get a start or two at least.

Not sure he'll get any starts unless Pavelec is out for over 2 weeks... or Hutch gives up 4 goals in 10 shots again...

rehf

Fueled by Maurice
Feb 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Hope Pavelec is alright and not gone long term, that was a pretty hard hit.

Excited at the idea of seeing Hellebuyck getting a game though, if he even does before Pavelec returns.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Not sure he'll get any starts unless Pavelec is out for over 2 weeks... or Hutch gives up 4 goals in 10 shots again...

Yeah that sucks, your probably right. Hellebuyck deserves a start at least. We'll see what happens.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013

Yes, as you've pointed out previously, Hutch has not been great this year. If Pavelec is out for a week or so, Hellebuyck should probably get the next start right?

Derfel*

Yes, as you've pointed out previously, Hutch has not been great this year. If Pavelec is out for a week or so, Hellebuyck should probably get the next start right?

I said Hutch is inconsistent - on fire one night to tire fire the next.

That being said - I don't see the Jets throwing Hellebuyck in to start unless they need to.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Yeah that trait is really frustrating in a goalie.

Derfel's right. Consistency is extremely important and one of Hellebuyck's best traits since he turned pro is his consistency.

If he can prove to be more consistent than Pavelec, I think we can all agree that he should take over as the starter.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Someone I know explained it like this:

All sprains are ligament tears, the terms are used largely interchangeably by most people outside the medical profession.

First degree is generally relatively minor, surface fibers on ligaments.

Second degree obviously more serious, but not a complete tearing of the fibers.

Third degree ligament go *poof* and now you have two ligaments that used to be one.

Take it for what it's worth, I'm not a medical professional. Crutches could be any one of them, though I'd be surprised if it was third degree, I don't think they'd want him on it at all if that was the case. Second degree though for a goaltender could have him on IR for weeks.
Having gone through a 3rd degree ACL, he wouldn't have stayed in the game if it was a 3. It sucks. A lot.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
If Pavelec is injured long term then Hellebuyck I would assume gets called up and will be given an opportunity since Winnipeg is VERY high on him and wouldn't call him up to sit on the bench for the majority of games.

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
Hope Pavs is OK.

If he really is out, my guess is Helle's first game will be Saturday vs Colorado.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
If Pavelec is injured long term then Hellebuyck I would assume gets called up and will be given an opportunity since Winnipeg is VERY high on him and wouldn't call him up to sit on the bench for the majority of games.

Yeah it's not like we'd have Peter Mannino backing up this time.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
As soon as I saw it I thought right MCL sprain, out 2-4 weeks. We shall see.

that's what i thought. and he's a goalie, so i'd be leaning towards the 4 week side of it. seriously doubt it will be 2 weeks. unless he pulls off an insanely speedy recovery.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
that's what i thought. and he's a goalie, so i'd be leaning towards the 4 week side of it. seriously doubt it will be 2 weeks. unless he pulls off an insanely speedy recovery.

Depends on how severe, but you are correct, may be the latter.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Unfortunate for Ondrej, he's had a very good run without any big injuries of note for his entire career so far.

Bring on Hellebuyck and lets see what he can do!

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I said Hutch is inconsistent - on fire one night to tire fire the next.

That being said - I don't see the Jets throwing Hellebuyck in to start unless they need to.

Hellebuyck isn't a piece of fine china that needs to be protected. He is 3rd on the depth chart for a professional hockey team. Hutch will move up to the starter, but I'd expect Helly to play approx what Hutch currently plays. Once he gets his chance who starts will gradually based on play.

Derfel*

Hellebuyck isn't a piece of fine china that needs to be protected. He is 3rd on the depth chart for a professional hockey team. Hutch will move up to the starter, but I'd expect Helly to play approx what Hutch currently plays. Once he gets his chance who starts will gradually based on play.

I still think they will go with Hutch as long as they can. Not saying they should or shouldn't, I'm just saying that would seem to be the most likely course of action.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I still think they will go with Hutch as long as they can. Not saying they should or shouldn't, I'm just saying that would seem to be the most likely course of action.

[mod]

They will go with Hutch initially as long as he is playing well which can go either way as he seems to struggle with consistency. But by next weekend there is a B2B on the road, so I'd expect that would be the latest we would see Helly get a start. A good game will earn further opportunities depending on how long Pavs is out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Derfel*

They will go with Hutch initially as long as he is playing well which can go either way as he seems to struggle with consistency. But by next weekend there is a B2B on the road, so I'd expect that would be the latest we would see Helly get a start. A good game will earn further opportunities depending on how long Pavs is out.

My assumption would be we'll see Hellebuyck on the first game of that B2B, barring further injury or disastrous results from Hutchinson again.

Jaffray15

Mar 12, 2008
Winnipeg
www.nhl94.com
After looking at the replay several times, it looks like once Stuart pushed Doan, he became off balanced and decided to throw himself into Pavelec instead of crashing into the boards.

Thoughts?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad