Speculation: Ondrej Palat and Tyler Johnson next contracts

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
What do you guys think palat and Johnson will ask yzerman for there next contracts ? What's your cap hit projections and term for them for 2017-2018 season ? I know palat is with the stamkos new port sports firm not sure who Johnson is with ?

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I'm more curious as to whether or not we can shed some salary going into next offseason. We have Palat, Johnson and Drouin up for new contracts. It's been a great offseason for SY but if he can pull some things off next year, have these three under contract long term for the team and still have a little wiggle room to make the team even better than this guy deserves to be GM of the century.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
I'm more curious as to whether or not we can shed some salary going into next offseason. We have Palat, Johnson and Drouin up for new contracts. It's been a great offseason for SY but if he can pull some things off next year, have these three under contract long term for the team and still have a little wiggle room to make the team even better than this guy deserves to be GM of the century.

He certainly would, but I just don't see how that's possible unless he can somehow manage to offload Callahan. We're more likely looking at losing one of those three or Killorn, along with Garrison. We have negative wiggle room at this point and it's going to take a brilliant series of moves by Yzerman (along with Callahan being willing to waive his NMC which is extremely unlikely) to get us out from under this cap hell.

Put it this way: if we get through the next offseason and the only major pieces we've lost are Killorn and Garrison I'll be ecstatic.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
And just think Vasi and Hedmans contracts would have been up too. Tough couple of years for Yzerman with all our big name and big players contracts coming up at roughly the same time!

Also Bishop, but we all know he's gone anyways

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Filppula and Garrison must, I repeat MUST, be gone after next season and with no retention. That clears up 9.6 in cap space. Plus Bishop's 5.95 gets us about 15.5 mil. Don't forget that Johnson and Palat making 5.5 is only a 2.2 million raise. We would only have to find 4.4 mil to keep them, not 11 mil.

I would also let Nesterov go and let Taormina ride the pine as a #7 for only 500k.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Filppula and Garrison must, I repeat MUST, be gone after next season and with no retention. That clears up 9.6 in cap space. Plus Bishop's 5.95 gets us about 15.5 mil. Don't forget that Johnson and Palat making 5.5 is only a 2.2 million raise. We would only have to find 4.4 mil to keep them, not 11 mil.

Garrison won't be a problem - he has a good deal of value and we should be able to get a decent return for him without retention even coming up in the conversation. Filppula is a different story: he's a buyout candidate if he requires protection in the expansion draft and unless his scoring rebounds in a huge way next season he's a negative value even if he doesn't. Unless we package him with somebody we're looking at retaining at best, buying him out at worst.

I also think an average of $5.5M apiece for Johnson and Palat might be optimistic, especially where Johnson is concerned if he stays healthy and produces like he did two seasons ago. If that happens he'll be in line for something in Kucherov's ballpark (maybe a little less due to his down year this past regular season, but then he also gets a premium for position which evens things out.) And then there's Drouin who I still say will take at least a $6M contract to resign if he has the kind of year I think he's capable of having.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I think Johnson and palat get 6 per year on a 7 year term. Maybe yzerman can get them for 5.3 per year for 8 years ? If yzerman wants to go max term ? It's going to be really hard to sign drouin, Johnson and palat for 2017-2018 might not be able to.

Last edited:

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
I doubt they get over 6 moving forward.

They're good, but they also didn't score a lot. With that said, they were hurt and the lines were screwed. If we get a repeat of TKO from the 14-15 season, well we're kinda screwed...

They would get at least 6 then.

I see it coming down with something like this:

Johnny - 5.25
Palat - 5.25
Kuch - 6.25-6.75

Johhny and Palat take a discount to stay together.

And with Tarasenko getting 7.5 and arguably playing a decent margin better than Kuch I don't think that's an unreasonable number.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I doubt they get over 6 moving forward.

They're good, but they also didn't score a lot. With that said, they were hurt and the lines were screwed. If we get a repeat of TKO from the 14-15 season, well we're kinda screwed...

They would get at least 6 then.

I see it coming down with something like this:

Johnny - 5.25
Palat - 5.25
Kuch - 6.25-6.75

Johhny and Palat take a discount to stay together.

And with Tarasenko getting 7.5 and arguably playing a decent margin better than Kuch I don't think that's an unreasonable number.

Ya but Johnson and palat play coopers style and our his home grown boys!

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Depends on the seasons they have this year. They both had monster seasons in 2015 then both dealt with injuries this year, hence the low numbers.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Schwartz signed for 5 years at 5.35, a good comparable to Palat imo.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016

I would also let Nesterov go and let Taormina ride the pine as a #7 for only 500k.

You have to add the second part to the equation. You don't really clear 9.6 because they have to be replaced. So the second part is they have to be replaced by guys on ELC or cheap contracts so you get the most savings. And Bishop's 5.95 is replaced by Vasi's 3.5 so you only really clear 2.5.

Last edited:

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
You have to add the second part to the equation. You don't really clear 9.6 because they have to be replaced. So the second part is they have to be replaced by guys on ELC or cheap contracts so you get the most savings. And Bishop's 5.95 is replaced by Vasi's 3.5 so you only really clear 2.5.

Well Filppula could be replaced by Namestnikov. That saves about 3+ mil.

Garrison replaced by Koekkoek. About 3 mil savings. Hard to tell who replaces Koekkoek as the 3LD, but can't cost more than 1.5 mil.

All in all it's at least 7 mil savings between Flip -> Vladdy, Garrison -> Koekkoek/Koekkoek -> ?, and Bishop -> Vasi.

Of course that is before another backup is brought in via the pipeline or FA, but that can't cost more than 2 mil.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Prefer to see Gudlevskis in a backup role before we look elsewhere, he's internal and pretty cheap.

goal1228

Jun 17, 2009
Well Filppula could be replaced by Namestnikov. That saves about 3+ mil.

Garrison replaced by Koekkoek. About 3 mil savings. Hard to tell who replaces Koekkoek as the 3LD, but can't cost more than 1.5 mil.

All in all it's at least 7 mil savings between Flip -> Vladdy, Garrison -> Koekkoek/Koekkoek -> ?, and Bishop -> Vasi.

Of course that is before another backup is brought in via the pipeline or FA, but that can't cost more than 2 mil.
Realistically Flip and Garrison will be tough to move high cap hits but not impossible Even if bishop is moved you can't take salary back with Johnson Palat Drouin and Sustr all becoming UFA it will be tough to sign 2 out the 4 next year and that's with a cap increase I'm not a TB fan but I think this year coming up you have a really good shot to go all the way I would guess Stevey y will sign Kuch and worry about next year after season

Last edited:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Realistically Flip and Garrison will be tough to move high cap hits but not impossible Even if bishop is moved you can't take salary back with Johnson Palat Drouin and Sustr all becoming UFA it will be tough to sign 2 out the 4 next year and that's with a cap increase I'm not a TB fan but I think this year coming up you have a really good shot to go all the way I would guess Stevey y will sign Kuch and worry about next year after season

Johnson, palat and sustr are Rfa's not ufa's

goal1228

Jun 17, 2009
And Drouin.
sorry yes last year of RFA but all will be looking for multi year deals next year I would assume 1 or 2 of 4 will get them but just with Kuch and Hedman increases will be tough I guess they could sign one year deals but would probably have some of these players testing free agent market. Although your GM is excellent he will figure out best outcome of team next year meanwhile you guys can win now more importantly

JAY7791

Jun 22, 2013

Garrison will be pretty easy to trade, Flip on the other hand probably not because I bet he'd be gone already, although next year would be another year off his deal.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Neither would be really hard to trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad