Player Discussion Ondrej Kase

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yeah I still have zero issues with the trade. They gave up a late first and a mediocre prospect to move an albatross and take a flier on a guy that had showed some scoring prowess before being concussed. It is what it is

I’d say people should be much more mad about the Backes signing that forced that trade than the trade itself

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I think Kase has looked pretty good in Boston. He's had stretches where his whole line has sort of disappeared but it's hard to blame him alone when that's not unheard of for Debrusk and Krejci. They were awesome in that Carolina series and then kind of disappeared against Tampa, but the same was true of the first and 3rd lines so it's kind of silly to single out Kase.

Lack of production aside, he has absolutely passed the eye test for me. He's creative and likes the puck on his stick. I think he and Krejci do a pretty good job of finding each other on the ice but just need to get the timing down and get the 3rd guy involved more. Getting hurt at this time really sucks because I think it was just a matter of time before that line started clicking, including Kase.

As for people doing the "i told you so" shtick, it's a little annoying that people want to gloat after a guy got hurt by a crosscheck to the face, but whatever. Some people derive more joy from being right on the internet than from seeing this team and its players have success.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
When you read about what Savard went thru you do t wish that on anybody.

Hope this guy can figure it out but changing your skating style doesn’t happen overnight and certainly isn’t something you adjust during the season

Tim Thomas' story is pretty sobering too. He is still suffering from it.

Patrice had an awful year as well. On the plus side, his going public with what he was going through (the neck brace presser) raised awareness substantially. I can't remember a player doing that so deliberately before.

Reactions: easton117

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
I think Kase has looked pretty good in Boston. He's had stretches where his whole line has sort of disappeared but it's hard to blame him alone when that's not unheard of for Debrusk and Krejci. They were awesome in that Carolina series and then kind of disappeared against Tampa, but the same was true of the first and 3rd lines so it's kind of silly to single out Kase.

Lack of production aside, he has absolutely passed the eye test for me. He's creative and likes the puck on his stick. I think he and Krejci do a pretty good job of finding each other on the ice but just need to get the timing down and get the 3rd guy involved more. Getting hurt at this time really sucks because I think it was just a matter of time before that line started clicking, including Kase.

As for people doing the "i told you so" shtick, it's a little annoying that people want to gloat after a guy got hurt by a crosscheck to the face, but whatever. Some people derive more joy from being right on the internet than from seeing this team and its players have success.

Well said.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Hes definitely skilled. No puck luck and another injury is bad news. I'd hope we stick with him for another year when his deal is up this summer.

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
Hes definitely skilled. No puck luck and another injury is bad news. I'd hope we stick with him for another year when his deal is up this summer.
I hope not, waste of time and waste of money, Bruins gonna have plenty of cap space next year, so hope DS gonna use that to fill all the holes in this team

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Not to sound like an ass, but I'm definitely not re-signing him based on what I've seen so far, and history.

53/82 games
66/82 games
30/82 games
56/71 games
2/2 games, but now injured and placed on IR - So that's probably already a decent chunk of games missed.

I also don't think you become a better hockey player after sustaining so many injures in such a short period of time.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Not to sound like an ass, but I'm definitely not re-signing him based on what I've seen so far, and history.

53/82 games
66/82 games
30/82 games
56/71 games
2/2 games, but now injured and placed on IR - So that's probably already a decent chunk of games missed.

I also don't think you become a better hockey player after sustaining so many injures in such a short period of time.

Probably would be taking a paycut and I don't like our forward prospects. I don't see anyone with this guys level of skill.

Hes a guy like Bjork I could see taking off elsewhere.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Probably would be taking a paycut and I don't like our forward prospects. I don't see anyone with this guys level of skill.

Hes a guy like Bjork I could see taking off elsewhere.
Part of a level of skill isn’t putting yourself in a position to get blown up on a nightly basis. Kase may be “skilled” but his awareness is awful.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I like his play and iq but can he keep his head up? And he way too weak clearly. Probably never play a full season. He worse then lupol

Reactions: Mione134

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
In hindsight did Backes even need to be traded? The Bruins did not re-sign Krug, and they have cap space this season.

Hard to believe the Bruins looked at Kase as a viable option with his inability to keep his head up.

I get the pandemic messed some stuff up, but yeah, poor decision making and pro scouting. We could have ate his last year or bought him out if absolutely necessary and used the 1st to get something more substantial. I dunno, kind of seemed like a wing and a prayer. It's unfortunate that he hasn't gotten a real, extended shot, but look at his games played in the past few years. You get what you get...

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010

I like his game. He does get injured a lot though. He is useful when healthy IMO.

duffy

Feb 12, 2006
Guy was damaged goods when they got him. No idea who fell asleep at the wheel on this one.
Agree, too bad we couldn't get a guy like Johansson! Can't believe some of the players we let walk or got rid of for what replaced them.

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
Guy was damaged goods when they got him. No idea who fell asleep at the wheel on this one.

The Bruins like buying from the "banged up" bin. Nash, Johanssen, Kase all came with pre existing damage and every one of them missed time because of it. This particular situation though is including an extensive healing layoff period which I hope has helped?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Concussion guys are hit or miss. If they get hurt again, they're a bust. If they stay healthy, they can be great.

Rick Nash: Total Bust
Marcus Johansson: I'd say he was a big success for the playoff run
Kase: So far it's not been good, but I'll give him a whole season to see if he can bounce back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad