Dreger: On TSN Overdirve: Evander is looking to get paid and McDavid is pushing the Oilers to re-sign him.

OilynutEsquire

Sep 24, 2021
Dreger has no insider connection with the Oil. He doesnt break stories. Im guessing he thought of this while on the toilet.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I think Edmonton should give him a multi year high AAV contract with lots of money up front and significant signing bonuses each year!

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
When have we seen this play out before? A gm would have to be out of his mind to give him a long term contract. The only one that should be given out is short term one filled with all sorts of performance and character clauses.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
no reason to offer any more than Kane 3x$4M, maybe with some move/trade protection
either he appreciates good-fit landing place, and opportunity to get his 'house in order'
or he takes his up-and-down path elsewhere,
but not convinced any other team would offer more anyway

TryamkinPleaseReturn

Rapidly Shrinking Cult
Feb 7, 2019
Edmonton finally has a 1st line power forward. A point per game power forward putting up currently better than a goal-per-game in the playoffs, and 1.5 points per game. And this is who you cheap out on?

Reactions: jeblers

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
no reason to offer any more than Kane 3x$4M, maybe with some move/trade protection
either he appreciates good-fit landing place, and opportunity to get his 'house in order'
or he takes his up-and-down path elsewhere,
but not convinced any other team would offer more anyway
Why not? He's a good player and makes their team better. If they won't sign him for that because of the risk of off-ice stuff, another team will. Personally 4 million is low for Kane. The term is probably good at 3 years though. Kane has been a perfect fit and makes that top line better. You're getting a guy you plan on using on the top wing, not a depth player. This is the player they have been looking for over the last 5 years. If you can sign him, you do, and you don't let him walk because you want to low-ball him. McDavid's cap hit goes for 4 more years, if you can get Kane for 3ish years, this is a perfect fit.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Can't imagine he'll sign for most of these contracts.

High AAV short term is likely what it'll end up as. He wants money, teams don't want to get screwed longterm.

Someone will pay him.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
There's seems to be too many teams that have the cap space to offer him more. I think it'll be a lot harder to get done than expected, considering he's clearly effective on the ice.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
He's going to want, and based purely on on-ice results, deserves 7+M.

Based on other factors I would not want to go any higher than 6 x 3 or 6.5 x 2

5.5 x 3 is a nice deal. Then you have 2 good, youngish wingers for the next few years to try to win with as you work on the rest of the roster.

Withat being said, I wouldn't be shocked if someone like Boston offered more AAV.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
5.5 x 3 is a nice deal. Then you have 2 good, youngish wingers for the next few years to try to win with as you work on the rest of the roster.

Withat being said, I wouldn't be shocked if someone like Boston offered more AAV.
5.5 would be great but seems unlikely for the reasons you mentioned. I think he's already done enough for other teams' fanbases/GMs to just "forget" about his off ice antics because of how effective he is on the ice.

30+ goal scoring power forwards who are solid defensively don't grow on trees. He's been the perfect player for McDavid to play with and is basically the guy we are hoping Holloway can turn into.

Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
In terms of hockey, he's a 7M player.
In terms of human being, not so much.

I'm sure a team will offer him 21M/3years

Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Bankruptcy is tied to his old contract

So yeah, this is pretty obvious.
This is essentially his nest egg. But most likely he’ll blow it on the newest Mercedes’

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Depends on what his definition of "getting paid" is. No one is going to offer 30 year old Kane some massive long-term contract. That's the kind of contract players get in their late 20s; Kane signed that contract and blew it. If Kane wants something more reasonable, like 3-4 years and 5ish million, the Oilers should definitely consider it.

Kane should also make it clear, for bargaining purposes, that he's not going to re-sign for 1-2 years for sub $3 million either, and that may be what he's doing with this posturing.
Kenny gave Abdelkader 7 years @ 29 years old.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Kane's not a guy I'd give a long term contract to. Maybe offer him a one-year contract, but if I was a GM, I wouldn't do any more than that. Let him be someone else's problem.

ReddestRum

Sad even when winning
Dec 19, 2013
Kane's not a guy I'd give a long term contract to. Maybe offer him a one-year contract, but if I was a GM, I wouldn't do any more than that. Let him be someone else's problem.

I'm pretty sure he's a problem for the Kings right now.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Look at all of the pathetic people in here still trying to convince people how bad of a person Kane is.

Anyway if he can’t get term he should command something like 7.5X3 at a minimum.
No convincing needed. He did it himself

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad