OT: On this episode of Days of the OT..

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I can't wait for them to invade the south. They have a dozen locations in Virginia now and opened one in Raleigh. At the rate they move, there might be one in northern Florida about the time I die.
They purchased an area in Florida this year with a 3-5 year ETA for open. They are spending millions on a facility to option as a shipping warehouse further south as they currently only have one major facility in Rochester and a smaller one in Potsville PA. They are stretching their warehouse capabilities thin but look to be finding ways of rectifying that...

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
We had a Lidl open before Christmas. Not a large selection but some prices are great. Don’t know if they do those as loss leaders or not.

11 grocery chains in my area within 15 min drive from house (3 of which we walk to) if you also count Target and Walmart.

Lowe’s Foods
Food Lion
Harris Teeter
Publix
Fresh Mart
Whole Foods
Trader Joe’s
Aldi
Lidl
Target
Walmart

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
We had a Lidl open before Christmas. Not a large selection but some prices are great. Don’t know if they do those as loss leaders or not.

11 grocery chains in my area within 15 min drive from house (3 of which we walk to) if you also count Target and Walmart.

Lowe’s Foods
Food Lion
Harris Teeter
Publix
Fresh Mart
Whole Foods
Trader Joe’s
Aldi
Lidl
Target
Walmart

We have a Fresh Mart and they are closing. The Earth Fare market closed locally which probably had something to do with poor location (not visible from the road) and the opening of Whole Foods around the corner. We've got...

Trader Joe's
Aldi's
Publix (let's talk expensive)
Fresh Market
Lucky's
Ward's (a local, reminds me of the Niagara Produce for WNYers who get up Rt. 62 that far)
Whole Foods
Walmart
Winn Dixie (one last holdout location that didn't go under during bankruptcy)

There are also a couple of small mom-and-pop specialty places appealing to specific demographics of the community, particularly the students.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Where I live (Putnam County) we have:

Topps (which bought the location from Hannaford's. Definitely a big time downgrade.)

Acme (Not Wegmans level but not bad).

ShopRite (Usually has the best prices)

Stop & Shop (Just opened in nearby Mahopac, pretty expensive)

Kolbacher's IGA (Right up the street from me. Some good stuff and prices for a small independent grocery store aren't that bad. Biggest issue is that they do a bad job of pulling expired stuff.)

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I live in publix country and oof. I like Publix but man their prices are awful. They are headquartered here so there is like one Winn Dixie beside the 12 Publix’s I can go to. I might live in the only places here a gallon of milk is cheaper at the 711 than the grocery store.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
You have fresh pineapple? If so, I’m jealous.
You can get fresh pineapple, and mangoes from the tree across the street, but your milk choices are UHT or caribou. However, I can go out and drink in the bars in a price range from $1.25 to a whopping $2.00 in a 'show bar'.
I went shopping yesterday, half the 'imports' on my list were out of stock, but they had 3 shelves 6 cans wide of red enchilada sauce which I never use. Its funny there's this place Hot Dog on a Stick that has a big sign saying featuring Nathan's but they haven't had any available in over a year. Its been almost 6 months since they had Johnsonville Sausages there.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
How did y'all deal with stress of a 4 month old when you're exhausted?

I'm on PFL for the month, so I've been taking over the over night feeding. Last night my little guy was waking up every hour or so. Some times less. I was getting irritable, and reacted a.bit aggressively. I didn't shake him or hurt him, but I grabbed him out of his crib aggressively, and would hold him a.bit tighter when he flailed. I also gave him a stern 'calm the hell down'. Not yelling, but he could definently sense my stress.

I feel bad when I get that stressed. It doesnt happen often. Maybe once every couple of weeks, but it's alway the long nights where my fuse is shorter.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I'm on PFL for the month, so I've been taking over the over night feeding. Last night my little guy was waking up every hour or so. Some times less. I was getting irritable, and reacted a.bit aggressively. I didn't shake him or hurt him, but I grabbed him out of his crib aggressively, and would hold him a.bit tighter when he flailed. I also gave him a stern 'calm the hell down'. Not yelling, but he could definently sense my stress.

I feel bad when I get that stressed. It doesnt happen often. Maybe once every couple of weeks, but it's alway the long nights where my fuse is shorter.

Had a terrible chollic child (our first) and know the sensation. First off, is your partner able to shuffle in for a shift on one of those? Yes, it's great to take on all of the responsibilities, but it isn't something one partner should shoulder solo because it does cause issues. Second, you notice it and are asking advice, which is good. Find something to center yourself - a couple of deep breaths (in on an 4 count, out on an 8 count), drink a glass of water, go scream into a pillow - before going in to see him. Everyone gets stressed. Mine is now 15, he grew out of the chollic and is the happiest, funniest kid (and has been since he was a toddler). I had a couple of those yelling moments. :biglaugh:

Also, if your partner is unable to give you a spell to get some uninterrupted sleep, call in the cavalry. Friends, family... just try to get a 5-6 hour stretch of uninterrupted sleep.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

every hour to feed is pretty excessive. You might want to talk with your doctor. You also want to look into sleep training or a sleep consultation. Our twins went from refusing to go down until 10 pm every night and waking for a 3 am feed to going down at 7 pm most nights and sleeping 11-12 hours. It’s magic I tell you.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
every hour to feed is pretty excessive. You might want to talk with your doctor. You also want to look into sleep training or a sleep consultation. Our twins went from refusing to go down until 10 pm every night and waking for a 3 am feed to going down at 7 pm most nights and sleeping 11-12 hours. It’s magic I tell you.
Sorry if I was unclear. He normally sleeps from 9ish-2-3ish every night, then wakes up for a bottle, and sleeps for another 3 hours or so. Last night he had gas, which I didn't know. My wife took over and relieved his gas by means I wont get into. Needless to say, it made me feel even more like a douche because he was in discomfort, and I handled it like a toddler.

Had a terrible chollic child (our first) and know the sensation. First off, is your partner able to shuffle in for a shift on one of those? Yes, it's great to take on all of the responsibilities, but it isn't something one partner should shoulder solo because it does cause issues. Second, you notice it and are asking advice, which is good. Find something to center yourself - a couple of deep breaths (in on an 4 count, out on an 8 count), drink a glass of water, go scream into a pillow - before going in to see him. Everyone gets stressed. Mine is now 15, he grew out of the chollic and is the happiest, funniest kid (and has been since he was a toddler). I had a couple of those yelling moments. :biglaugh:

Also, if your partner is unable to give you a spell to get some uninterrupted sleep, call in the cavalry. Friends, family... just try to get a 5-6 hour stretch of uninterrupted sleep.

The wife does help when things get overwhelming. I just want her to be able to sleep for as long as possible since she hasn't had consistent good nights of sleep since she was 6 months pregnant.

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island

You and sleep are essentially asymptotic for the next few months. It doesn't last. It is only a season and then it goes away.

It's quite the conflict when your brain is steering you towards ego-centric behaviour and your sense of responsibility is pushing you towards selflessness. If you are a spiritual person then you already have a refuge to run to. If you are not then intellect should suffice.

Realize that he is more than just your little guy. He has a purpose. Your job as a father is to help him realize his potential, and you will never stop investing what is your most valuable resource - your time. Right now that time is so precious that you feel anxiety over losing that portion dedicated towards rest.

Retrain your mind. Change the way you think. Accept that you will be getting up to feed and comfort, and do it with a willing heart. Instead of being robbed of sleep you are being blessed with an opportunity to draw closer to your baby. When stressed think of all the things that you and your child can do together - what you want to teach them. The places you want to show them. Think of the creation you get to hold. Feet that have never been walked on. Ears that haven't heard your guilty shame fav song. Imagine that smile when they try ice cream for the first time. When you get stressed and frustrated remind yourself that it's not about you.

An old pastor told me decades ago that if you touch another person than it has to be intentionally purposefully done with love. Love as the sole and only motivation. You can handle this. Your shoulders are wide and that burden is instead a blessing. You got this.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
You and sleep are essentially asymptotic for the next few months. It doesn't last. It is only a season and then it goes away.

It's quite the conflict when your brain is steering you towards ego-centric behaviour and your sense of responsibility is pushing you towards selflessness. If you are a spiritual person then you already have a refuge to run to. If you are not then intellect should suffice.

Realize that he is more than just your little guy. He has a purpose. Your job as a father is to help him realize his potential, and you will never stop investing what is your most valuable resource - your time. Right now that time is so precious that you feel anxiety over losing that portion dedicated towards rest.

Retrain your mind. Change the way you think. Accept that you will be getting up to feed and comfort, and do it with a willing heart. Instead of being robbed of sleep you are being blessed with an opportunity to draw closer to your baby. When stressed think of all the things that you and your child can do together - what you want to teach them. The places you want to show them. Think of the creation you get to hold. Feet that have never been walked on. Ears that haven't heard your guilty shame fav song. Imagine that smile when they try ice cream for the first time. When you get stressed and frustrated remind yourself that it's not about you.

An old pastor told me decades ago that if you touch another person than it has to be intentionally purposefully done with love. Love as the sole and only motivation. You can handle this. Your shoulders are wide and that burden is instead a blessing. You got this.
Great point about it being my sleep vs time with my son. It's strange, because I feel these moments going by so fast and I miss them already, but when I'm tired my mind ignores that and wants to sleep. I'll take this advice to the heart. Thank you

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Great point about it being my sleep vs time with my son. It's strange, because I feel these moments going by so fast and I miss them already, but when I'm tired my mind ignores that and wants to sleep. I'll take this advice to the heart. Thank you

One of my fondest memories of being a dad? My chollic lad was awakened by something and was inconsolable. My now ex had exhausted herself with him. I tapped in and she went off to sleep. I held him, rocked him in my arms, sang but to no avail. Clearly something was bothering him tremendously and all he wanted to do was hold tight to my fingers with both hands. It's a thing - first thing he did when he was born as they gave him oxygen on the table and weighed him was him taking ahold of my hand with his and holding on. Well... on this given night, I wound up with my arm through the bars of the crib, him holding onto my hand like a lifeline, and eventually both he and I feel asleep. He was in his crib, I was laying on the floor of his room with an arm craned through the bars of the side slats of that crib. In the morning, he was happy and bouncing again... I couldn't move. :biglaugh: My back was howling, my hand was numb and my arm ached. But he was bouncing. I really would give my arm for my kids. I didn't care that it was uncomfortable, I knew what was working and that just him having my hand helped him settle. I've put on roofs, built barns, renovated most of a house, moved my family to a foreign country, got a degree as an "adult learner" and that moment is still one of my proudest, one of the top "I did that" moments.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
How did y'all deal with stress of a 4 month old when you're exhausted? <snip>

Sorry if I was unclear. He normally sleeps from 9ish-2-3ish every night, then wakes up for a bottle, and sleeps for another 3 hours or so. Last night he had gas, which I didn't know. My wife took over and relieved his gas by means I wont get into. Needless to say, it made me feel even more like a *****e because he was in discomfort, and I handled it like a toddler.
<snip>
As was replied above, tell yourself it's only going to be a few months - and that you'll never have the opportunity (again with that one at that age, or until the next one comes along) . Learn to recognize normal and abnormal sleep / feeding routine as @TehDoak notes. My son had similar schedule as you noted. I took the night shifts so my (ex- & now deceased) wife could sleep. There were times I had trouble staying awake at work, but the benefits and indelible memories of that time with my infant son were well worth it.

Couple other pieces of advice from years ago:
1) learn to sleep when the baby sleeps. If his bedtime is 9pm, you go to bed at 9pm too.
2) If you can't fall asleep after you put your son back down, do something small and quick to help the general household. Start a load of wash or dry or fold the laundry if the machine noise is away from the bedrooms. Clean the kitchen. Pay bills / process mail. Anything to save time in the future for you and/or your wife.

Warning: I did make the mistake, once and only once, of falling asleep on the couch with my son on my chest, also asleep. Fortunately, I don't move much when I sleep, so I avoided rolling him in either the "risk of smothering" or "fall off to the floor" direction.

So the greatest American ska band of all time (and one of my favorite bands ever) The Toasters are playing Mohawk Place on 2/23 the same day we play a 3pm matinee vs Winnipeg. So yeah, definitely making the trip up for that!
The Toasters at Mohawk Place (23 Feb 2020)
I'll be in the area that w/e and have been eyeing that game to fit in my travel schedule. Haven't checked tickets yet. Will PM you as date grows closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad