OT: On this episode of Days of the OT..

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I agree, but I do take solace in the fact that Italy and Wuhan are the absolute worst case scenarios given their circumstances. Italy is way more densely populated than the US and has about 10% more elderely people. Wuhan is more dense than NYC and has live stock in their street markets, which is where the disease originated from.

So, in theory, the virus should spread much slower throughout the US giving us more time to react. Of course, this puts faith in our president to react to such an epidemic effectively, which I have my doubts, but I'm going to avoid politics.

For what it's worth NYC is 50% more dense than Milan. The Boston-DC Megalopolis is about 90% the population of Italy, but 80% more dense.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
For what it's worth NYC is 50% more dense than Milan. The Boston-DC Megalopolis is about 90% the population of Italy, but 80% more dense.
Yes, this is my biggest concern. The hugely dense areas in the US. Luckily, the US as a whole is way less dense than Italy, so I'm assuming it wont travel quite as fast. Then again, the man in charge gives me pause on that statement.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Yes, this is my biggest concern. The hugely dense areas in the US. Luckily, the US as a whole is way less dense than Italy, so I'm assuming it wont travel quite as fast. Then again, the man in charge gives me pause on that statement.

Yes, there's good reason to believe the spread through the midwest and mountain states would be slower. The spread through the northeast should be comparable.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
This "Scare" has already run well past SARS and H1N1. Don't look at the mortality rates, look at the hospitalization rates. Italy didn't lock down THEIR ENTIRE POPULATION because of the flu.

The complete lack of preventative measures being taken nationally is insane. You know what has never done a good job of fighting respiratory infections? Tax cuts! tax cuts are not an evidence based epidemiological response.
What do you mean by that?

I can list numerous preventative measures taken in my home, at my church, at my place of work, in my community, etc.

Coincidentally, all of them are consistent with either past practices, or current US national health guidelines for COVID19, or both. None of them, however, required the coordination and coercion of the government "under the threat of a gun" to enact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad