OT: On this episode of Days of the OT..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Quick question. It may be dumb, but do you need a cable subscription to watch live sports on say, an amazon fire stick.. or like a smart tv? I see people commenting on different forums/sites saying you do, and others saying you dont. I'm not sure. Thanks
You could with Kodi, but its a pain to find good sources that don't get taken down.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
If I could do internet for $70-80 per month, and figure *something* out for reliably streaming Bills and Sabres at least I think I'd be happy with that. I'm sitting at around $160-170 per month with internet and TV bundled, and I bet that'll just keep going up until I do something about it.

The blackout stuff stinks.
Wouldn't Fubo.tv be your best option then, they seem to be heavy on sports.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Wouldn't Fubo.tv be your best option then, they seem to be heavy on sports.
That does seem like an option.

Not that I love the idea of still giving Spectrum my money, but there's also this Spectrum Choice thing I've read about where it's like $30 per month for 10 channels of your choice + local channels. Local channels would cover the Bills, MSG and NBCSN would cover the Sabres, and that'd leave me 8 channels for anything else I might want (AMC, TBS, Adult Swim, etc... I may not even have 8 I'd want lol). It's streaming only so I'd need my Roku or Firestick.

Of course, I'm not actually seeing a way to sign up for it so maybe it's not really available anymore or maybe it never was or something. Might be something I inquire about when the time comes to cancel the cable TV package though.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Running slow on sleep today after spending a lot of time at the hospital because my dad had neck surgery yesterday.

Everything went well and he saw some benefits immediately afterward.

And now he has some more metal to annoy TSA with a titanium spacer replacing the disc in his C4.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Running slow on sleep today after spending a lot of time at the hospital because my dad had neck surgery yesterday.

Everything went well and he saw some benefits immediately afterward.

And now he has some more metal to annoy TSA with a titanium spacer replacing the disc in his C4.
Its payback since all TSA does is annoy us.

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
Has been a good week. I’m officially out of training at work, which means I got another raise. My 3rd in 6 months. I also registered for my first ever college class. Which is going to be paid for by work to help with a future promotion.
Not a bad week if I say so myself.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Not happy with the no call on this hit on my kid.

He said this morning that his head feels fine and it's the elbow he landed on that hurts.

Hopefully he's being honest with his mother and I. Both his club and HS coaches know and will keep an eye out, at least.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Not happy with the no call on this hit on my kid.

He said this morning that his head feels fine and it's the elbow he landed on that hurts.

Hopefully he's being honest with his mother and I. Both his club and HS coaches know and will keep an eye out, at least.

I had no idea that Don VanMassenhoven was working high school games in Rochester these days. How the hell that wasn’t a penalty…..

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I had no idea that Don VanMassenhoven was working high school games in Rochester these days. How the hell that wasn’t a penalty…..

Nate's head coach told the ref that it looked like it was high and with an elbow. They did talk about it, but they disagreed...

:dunno:

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Well, I definitely think I'm going to cut the Spectrum cable in the near future. Called them today and there wasn't much they could do to help me out (even though what I'm being billed is different than what they told me when I signed up)... so I'm seriously looking into other options now.

fubo.tv free trial has been interesting so far. I love that I can cloud DVR my favorite shows instead of having to rely on Spectrums spotty on demand selection. Can DVR Sabres and Bills games. I like how it organizes upcoming shows/games. Was going to use the Sabres/Blues game tonight to test it out but apparently its on NBCSN which doesn't do me much good in making sure it has the Buffalo MSG feed... have to wait til Thursday for that I guess. The price isn't great, like $60 per month. Between it and internet I'd probably only be saving $20 per month or so, which is an improvement but maybe not enough to up-heave everything.

Spectrum Choice streaming is actually a thing, which would be perfect since its only like $30 per month and saving me closer to $60-70 per month with internet. I could easily get by with 10 hand selected channels + the local channels included. But MSG isn't an option. Which should be a deal breaker... but ehhh... the Sabres suck anyways, I'm not watching quite as much (or as closely at least) as I normally would lately, and there are "other" ways to watch if necessary. So... maybe...

Last edited:

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Well, I definitely think I'm going to cut the Spectrum cable in the near future. Called them today and there wasn't much they could do to help me out (even though what I'm being billed is different than what they told me when I signed up)... so I'm seriously looking into other options now.

fubo.tv free trial has been interesting so far. I love that I can cloud DVR my favorite shows instead of having to rely on Spectrums spotty on demand selection. Can DVR Sabres and Bills games. I like how it organizes upcoming shows/games. Was going to use the Sabres/Blues game tonight to test it out but apparently its on NBCSN which doesn't do me much good in making sure it has the Buffalo MSG feed... have to wait til Thursday for that I guess. The price isn't great, like $60 per month. Between it and internet I'd probably only be saving $20 per month or so, which is an improvement but maybe not enough to up-heave everything.

Spectrum Choice streaming is actually a thing, which would be perfect since its only like $30 per month and saving me closer to $60-70 per month with internet. I could easily get by with 10 hand selected channels + the local channels included. But MSG isn't an option. Which should be a deal breaker... but ehhh... the Sabres suck anyways, I'm not watching quite as much (or as closely at least) as I normally would lately, and there are "other" ways to watch if necessary. So... maybe...
I've been using USTVnow for a long time, mainly the free plan. The local channels are from Pittsburgh. Don't get hung up on using a single service. You can easily drop one and pick another one with a better offer. Then the one you drop will try to entice you back.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I've been using USTVnow for a long time, mainly the free plan. The local channels are from Pittsburgh. Don't get hung up on using a single service. You can easily drop one and pick another one with a better offer. Then the one you drop will try to entice you back.
Yeah, that's the beauty of these cancel anytime streaming services. Especially when I'm not tied in being loaned hardware and having to call people and fight to cancel. Doesn't really matter which I go with when I can cancel and switch to better services or offers as the opportunity arises.

I'll probably end up going with fubo.tv for now since I'll be able to keep up with just about anything I'd want to watch and still save some money... maybe look into others when the Sabres/Bills seasons end and jump around as needed. I'll just miss being able to eat up tons of internet bandwidth AND being able to watch TV at the same time. :laugh:

EDIT: MSG seems to be a really tough channel to find streaming and is really limiting my options though.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Every post appears in a bolded font and I can't figure out how to change it back. Does anyone know how to change the font settings? Thanks man.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

While I in the check out line at Costco this morning, I checked my email.

I saw one from the varsity coach saying he texted Nate and that he needed to run to their home rink and get his gear and he was dressing for the first time today in the championship game of a local HS tournament.

Apparently the other backup goalie had a game in Buffalo this morning and they weren't sure if he would be back by 2pm.

Nate got to warm up and did a great job again opening and closing the forwards door.

We then ran to his club game where he got one shift at RW.

He passed out about an hour ago.

Hockey! Hockey! Hockey!

Reactions: cybresabre

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Greenlight Networks ready to provide internet service competition
Flush with $100M investment, Greenlight Networks promises WNY faster, cheaper internet
Greenlight Networks, a fast-growing, Rochester-based fiber-optic internet service provider, is looking to bring more broadband competition to the Buffalo area – and lower prices.
The company on Tuesday announced a $100 million investment by its owner, Tom Golisano, in the Buffalo and Rochester areas, as well as possibly some other regions, as the firm seeks to spread across upstate New York.

Golisano's money will be used to cover the expansion cost while keeping prices low. For $50 per month, Greenlight offers standard data speeds of 500 megabits per second for downloading and streaming, with the potential for upgrading to two gigabits per second. Spectrum Cable charges $70 a month for standard standalone internet service, although customers who purchase a bundle of television, phone and internet service may pay less.
Murphy said there are no taxes, fees or surcharges, so that's "a significantly better price and value than what we think the competitors in this market offer."

Last edited:

Burgmania

Buffalo's Hockey Soundtrack
Apr 16, 2007
Buffalo, NY
HALLELUJAH. My rental car nightmare will be over in a couple of weeks.

I've been trying to get out of this crap job for about a year and a half - toward that end, I saw the Buffalo & Erie County Public Library was looking for a Technology Clerk. I applied & interviewed (I've worked in a library before, and it was awesome) - to no one's surprise, they went with an internal candidate. However - a couple of months later (this would be mid-May), the county held a civil service exam for that position. So, I threw $20 at it and finished in about 45 minutes.

Six months later, I find out I got a 90(!) on the exam, and am in ninth position on the list. Same week I get the exam results, I get three canvass letters asking about interest in 1 full-time and 2 part-time positions. Said 'no' to the part-time ones and 'yes' to the full-time one. Last Thursday, I interviewed (with the same people as first time 'round), and was told there were two positions open. They had a few other candidates to speak with, and I'd probably hear something this week.

I heard from them within 26 hours of the interview - and it was to offer me the position. I'm anticipating starting on January 6. This has been such a relief for me - better pay, better working conditions, doing something I'll actually like & be good at... As this is a county job, I hope that I've just completed my last full-time job search.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Greenlight Networks ready to provide internet service competition
Flush with $100M investment, Greenlight Networks promises WNY faster, cheaper internet
Greenlight Networks, a fast-growing, Rochester-based fiber-optic internet service provider, is looking to bring more broadband competition to the Buffalo area – and lower prices.
The company on Tuesday announced a $100 million investment by its owner, Tom Golisano, in the Buffalo and Rochester areas, as well as possibly some other regions, as the firm seeks to spread across upstate New York.
<snip>
Anyone know if Greenlight / Golisano's gambit is an actual new capital build / deployment, or simply purchasing / licensing infrastructure / network capacity from someone else (Spectrum/TimeWarner or Verizon's FiOS) and reselling it at less profit margin that the current incumbents?

HALLELUJAH. My rental car nightmare will be over in a couple of weeks.

I've been trying to get out of this crap job for about a year and a half <snip>

I heard from them within 26 hours of the interview - and it was to offer me the position. I'm anticipating starting on January 6. This has been such a relief for me - better pay, better working conditions, doing something I'll actually like & be good at... As this is a county job, I hope that I've just completed my last full-time job search.
Congratulations - looks like Santa got you a new job for Christmas!

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Anyone know if Greenlight / Golisano's gambit is an actual new capital build / deployment, or simply purchasing / licensing infrastructure / network capacity from someone else (Spectrum/TimeWarner or Verizon's FiOS) and reselling it at less profit margin that the current incumbents?

I believe it is a new build out given the way they talk about coming to my neighborhood.

Congratulations To The Following Districts (Reached 100%)
We are starting construction in the following districts this Winter:

Gates Miramar

Yes, please!

Reactions: brian_griffin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad