Olympics 2021

Sep 19, 2008
Not trying to be a dick, but you lot are actually watching Olympic football? I tuned into it last summer games and it was dreadful to watch.
I don't like this attitude. I'll watch it if I can be up for it.

I was up at 5 AM the other day and couldn't go back to sleep so was watching, it's really not that bad.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Amiri & Uduokhai are both playing their way into the senior team picture. Raum too.

Put Felix & Klostermann on either side of Hummels/Ginter/Süle, and our defense might just be good enough for MAtS & Kimmich-Goretzka to shine. Especially with Raum providing depth behind Gosens until Netz / John / Katterbach are ready, and Baku freeing Kimmich from having to play RWB.

Amiri shouldn't start over Havertz, Musiala/Wirtz, or Sane/Gnabry, but he & Werner should be next on the depth chart behind that quintet...plus Nadiem can play a hybrid 8/10 role in a midfield trio.

Pieper & Henrichs...ooph...beautiful pass from Pieper for the 2-1, but that doesn't change how fragile his side has been defensively.

E:
Missed the second half but yeesh. Glad Uduokhai was able to grab the winner despite us going down to 10...again...and at least Pieper's red should increase the chances we start with Torunarigha & Stach around Felix in a back 3 against the Ivorians...

Hoping for:

Ache
Amiri -- Kruse
Raum - Arnold - Maier* - Henrichs
'righa - Uduokhai - Stach
Müller

*Löwen

...though I'd like to see Richter tried in Henrichs spot if we had more depth...​

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Welp their out glad I dont have to tune in for those super early matches. Almada did more in 15 mins of playing time than Alexis did in 3 matches. Probably the worst player for them in this tournament. Batista is worse than his older brother, didn't have a clue.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Disappointing result in the end, but I'm glad that Amiri, Uduokhai, Raum & Müller got to show out. Felix is the only one I'd like to start for the senior team...and that's largely due to how much more talented kids have struggled...but all of them could be good depth pieces who can step in without standing out in a bad way.

Wish Torunarigha got more PT, but I liked what I saw from him...so am optimistic he's going to have that breakthrough season with Hertha that we've all been waiting for. And Stach left a very positive impression, will be curious to see what becomes of him.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
It's unbelievable how much Romanian football has fallen in the last 20 years. We had to beat New Zealand to advance today and we couldn't even manage more than 41 percent possession. That after losing our last match against South Korea 0-4. Shame!

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Disappointing result in the end, but I'm glad that Amiri, Uduokhai, Raum & Müller got to show out. Felix is the only one I'd like to start for the senior team...and that's largely due to how much more talented kids have struggled...but all of them could be good depth pieces who can step in without standing out in a bad way.

Wish Torunarigha got more PT, but I liked what I saw from him...so am optimistic he's going to have that breakthrough season with Hertha that we've all been waiting for. And Stach left a very positive impression, will be curious to see what becomes of him.

I don't consider any of this (Olympic tournament) meaningful to be honest. It's a leftover squad playing with extremely limited substitution possibilities which affects tactics and everything really.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't consider any of this (Olympic tournament) meaningful to be honest. It's a leftover squad playing with extremely limited substitution possibilities which affects tactics and everything really.

Well duh, it's the olympics...

Still nice to see Amiri, Uduokhai, Raum, Müller, Torunarigha, & Stach, do well.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Japan has been impressive, they probably are the most motivated as hosts even without spectators. Brazil have done well too, especially Richarlison. I feel that Spain and Ivory Coast might have an extra gear in them still, should be a good match in the QF's.

If Brazil makes it from the other side of the bracket, it should be good final regardless of which of the other three mentioned is their opponent.

Reactions: cgf

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
It's unbelievable how much Romanian football has fallen in the last 20 years. We had to beat New Zealand to advance today and we couldn't even manage more than 41 percent possession. That after losing our last match against South Korea 0-4. Shame!

Yep, Romania was better before. But they qualifed for a couple of u21 and done good. So future might look brighter. And Cluj have been good for years.

I think a best possible Romanian national team is pretty good actually:

Tătărușanu
Ganea - Radu - Chiricheș - Manea
Maxim - Marin - Cicâldău - Stanciu
Hagi - Pușcaș

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
That's not a goal US WNT 109th

Another offside. 113.
Rapinoe over the bar. 117
Press can't control 118

should be PK's :( I hate PK's

Last edited:

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Hopefully the semis will have goals and not the tight defensive games. I quess Spain are favourites based on names against Japan, but they haven't been that steady though, so Japan should be able to score a goal or two.

Brazil have been compact and controlled pretty all of their games so far. They look most like an actual NT level team of the remaining teams, and even if their subs haven't set the world on fire so far, it's a big adavantage to be able to throw in likes of Malcom and Reinier against tiring defences. With the way Mexico defence played against S.Korea (Ochoa saved a couple of good shots), I can't see them being able to hold off Brazil.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
The US played poor all tournament but I can't beleive the PK that Canada got.. Oh well the US has benefitted from those before.. mostly feel bad for Davidson. I thought Davidson got fouled as the Canadian player clipped her leg thigh leading to the foul she in tern received..
The US this Tournament is lucky to be playing for Bronze. Still hate that was the out.

And that contact should have made it not a Clear and obvious error so VAR shouldn't have intervened.
Oh well Good luck to Canada in the GM game.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Richarlison misses a penalty about 5 mins before half-time.

Then Matheus Cunha gives them he lead in added time. Earlier Diego Carlos cleared the ball from goal-line, but otherwise Spain has barely threatened with their toothless attack.

Last edited:

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
With just a couple of minutes to go, Bryan Gil hits the bar with a long range shot. Spain have been the better team lately.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Boy that is poor by Vallejo. Especially as he should have fairly fresh legs.

Well taken by Malcom though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad