Olympics 2021

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
France's team sucks.
Didn't look too impressive, but I wasn't sure if I just didn't know the players going well enough. Anyone to look out for?

Brazil & Spain look loaded on paper, and we're clearly a step down from them, but I like our chances against the rest.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Spanish clubs actually cooperating with their efforts...unlike the German ones who aren't even making a faux effort to hide the fact that they don't give a damn about the Olympics.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Spanish clubs actually cooperating with their efforts...unlike the German ones who aren't even making a faux effort to hide the fact that they don't give a damn about the Olympics.

Eh, Leipzig are letting Olmo play in this & the euros, and Hertha has allowed Cunha to go. I think the DFB or the players just don't really care about this tourney.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Eh, Leipzig are letting Olmo play in this & the euros, and Hertha has allowed Cunha to go. I think the DFB or the players just don't really care about this tourney.

That's true. Olmo is an interesting case as I literally saw someone say the DFB (and DFL) don't want anyone playing two tournaments in one summer. I think it's very stupid by the DFB because given the bad PR of the last months they could really use a medal in Tokyo to get some positive buzz going.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That's true. Olmo is an interesting case as I literally saw someone say the DFB (and DFL) don't want anyone playing two tournaments in one summer. I think it's very stupid by the DFB because given the bad PR of the last months they could really use a medal in Tokyo to get some positive buzz going.

Don't think a medal would mean any more than the U21 title did. The only thing that could really get them great PR would be the team looking rejuvenated under Flick in September.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there

I still can't believe that Spanish squad is real, Simon, Olmo, Oyarzabal, Garcia, Torres, Pedri...are those guys really play another tournament so soon. Can't be ideal for their clubs. Olympics end August 7th and La Liga starts a week later.

Reactions: Rob and cgf

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Didn't look too impressive, but I wasn't sure if I just didn't know the players going well enough. Anyone to look out for?

Brazil & Spain look loaded on paper, and we're clearly a step down from them, but I like our chances against the rest.
Bard is a very good LB (Lyon).
Le Fee is a very talented CM (Lorient)
Mbuku is a high potential winger (Reims)
Kolo Muani is bound to score if given playing time over Gignac (Nantes).
And Lihadji might be the most talented of the bunch but he's a reserve call-up (Lille).

The coach still sucks.

Reactions: cgf

Just Win

Nov 3, 2008
Stuttgart

More like Spanish clubs don't have a choice due to an agreement with the Spanish Football Federation. They have to release the players for the Olympics as they have for any other NT games. No such agreement for most other nations...

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I think the DFB or the players just don't really care about this tourney.

Maybe they don't, but someone like Ron-Thorben Hoffmann has snowball's chance in hell to become FC Bayern's starter this season and their second team just got relegated into amateur football. Hard to think that the training camp with the pros alone would be genuinely more attractive than the Olympics.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
More like Spanish clubs don't have a choice due to an agreement with the Spanish Football Federation. They have to release the players for the Olympics as they have for any other NT games. No such agreement for most other nations...

That would explain it. Though that seems like an unusual thing for Real and Barca to accept given how they normally just do whatever the eff they want.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Bard is a very good LB (Lyon).
Le Fee is a very talented CM (Lorient)
Mbuku is a high potential winger (Reims)
Kolo Muani is bound to score if given playing time over Gignac (Nantes).
And Lihadji might be the most talented of the bunch but he's a reserve call-up (Lille).

The coach still sucks.
Muani's been linked a lot to Frankfurt, so it'll be interesting to see him.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Maybe they don't, but someone like Ron-Thorben Hoffmann has snowball's chance in hell to become FC Bayern's starter this season and their second team just got relegated into amateur football. Hard to think that the training camp with the pros alone would be genuinely more attractive than the Olympics.

I dunno how much to put into that as Florian Müller was going to be the starter for the olympic team no matter what. He's just way more established than any other eligible option.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
France's team sucks.

well take a look at the other teams, they are not exactly world class.

france, spain, brazil and germany looks best on the paper for sure.

but still not sure if camavinga is gonna play or not...i heard different things...:huh:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
well take a look at the other teams, they are not exactly world class.

france, spain, brazil and germany looks best on the paper for sure.

but still not sure if camavinga is gonna play or not...i heard different things...:huh:

Japan & Mexiko have better teams than you are giving them credit for, while the Cote D'Ivoire has some big time talents in their squad.

Oh & argentina's squad looks pretty good too. Not Spain or Brazil good, but those two are in a class of their own.

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Japan & Mexiko have better teams than you are giving them credit for, while the Cote D'Ivoire has some big time talents in their squad.

Oh & argentina's squad looks pretty good too. Not Spain or Brazil good, but those two are in a class of their own.

yes japan actually have a good team.

i dont know much about the mexican squad, not many familiar faces there. I know about Ochoa and lainez. Rest of the team is from the mexican league. who to keep an eye on?

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Cote d ivoire

Goalkeepers
Ira Tape Eliezer (FC San Pedro, Ivory Coast), Nagoli Oupoh Maxime (Sol FC, Ivory Coast), Tie Nicolas (Victoria Guimares, Portugal).
Defenders
Kouao Koffi Franck (FC Vzela, PORTUGAL), Ouattara Zie (Victoria Guimares, Portugal), Singo Wilfried (Torino, Italy), Eric Bailly (Manchester United, England), Dabila Kouadio Yves (Mouscron, Belgium), Diallo Chester (Ajaccio, France), Gnaka Silas (KAS Eupen, Belgium).
Midfielders and Attackers
Eboue Christ (Genk, Belgium), Doumbia Idrissa (Sporting, Portugal), Franck Kessie (AC Milan, Italy), Amad Diallo (Manchester United, England), Max Gradel (Sivasspor Turkey), Dao Youssouf (Sparta Praha, Czech Republic)

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
yes japan actually have a good team.

i dont know much about the mexican squad, not many familiar faces there. I know about Ochoa and lainez. Rest of the team is from the mexican league. who to keep an eye on?

I'm not exactly an expert on them, but my mexican friend was excited when they announced their team. I dunno if they have any huge stars going, think it's moreso just a good squad with a lot of kids who can do things with the ball.

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Eye of Ra

Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
France made changes. This is their team.

Pos.PlayerDate of birth (age)Club
GKStefan Bajic23 December 2001 (aged 19) Saint-Étienne
GKPaul Bernardoni18 April 1997 (aged 24) Angers
DFMelvin Bard6 November 2000 (aged 20) Lyon
DFAnthony Caci1 July 1997 (aged 24) Strasbourg
DFIsmaël Doukouré24 July 2003 (aged 17) Valenciennes
DFPierre Kalulu5 June 2000 (aged 21) Milan
DFClément Michelin11 May 1997 (aged 24) Lens
DFTimothée Pembélé9 September 2002 (aged 18) Paris Saint-Germain
DFModibo Sagnan14 April 1999 (aged 22) Real Sociedad
MFAlexis Beka Beka29 March 2001 (aged 20) Caen
MFJérémy Gelin24 April 1997 (aged 24) Rennes
MFEnzo Le Fée3 February 2000 (aged 21) Lorient
MFTéji Savanier*22 December 1991 (aged 29) Montpellier
MFFlorian Thauvin*26 January 1993 (aged 28) UANL
MFLucas Tousart29 April 1997 (aged 24) Hertha BSC
FWAndré-Pierre Gignac*5 December 1985 (aged 35) UANL
FWRandal Kolo Muani5 December 1998 (aged 22) Nantes
FWNathanaël Mbuku16 March 2002 (aged 19) Reims
FWArnaud Nordin17 June 1998 (aged 23) Saint-Étienne
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Dorsch & Vagnoman won't be going and have been replaced in the squad by Ragnar Ache & the elder Schlotterbeck.

So maybe something like:

Jakobs/Amiri - Kruse - Richter/Amiri
Arnold - Amiri/Maier
Maier/Löwen
Raum - Torunarigha - Uduokhai - Henrichs
Müller

or

Teuchert
Jakobs/Amiri - Kruse - Amiri/Richter
Arnold - Maier
Raum - Torunarigha - Uduokhai - Henrichs
Müller​

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
After signing with Monaco, Jakobs has pulled out of the olympic team; leaving us with just 18 players going to this tourney & prompting some harsh words from Kuntz in the direction of german clubs that haven't allowed players to participate.

With how few attackers there are left, I wonder if we'll see them playing the same 3-4-3 that the senior team did:

Amiri - Kruse - Richter
Raum - Arnold - Maier - Henrichs
Torunarigha - Pieper - Uduokhai
Müller​

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad