Speculation: Olli Maatta

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
It's his skating, which has been poor from the get go. You don't become slower from not playing, you get rusty. As it stands, Olli Maatta is the anti-thesis of the direction this team is headed with being fast.

Maybe give him one more year, if he doesn't turn it up, which he most likely won't because again - it's his skating that is getting him in trouble - then you take what you can get for him. Or if it's that bad, you absolutely leave him open for the expansion draft and get out from that contract.

You can improve on your skating. One of the guys that smoked us tonight, Drouin, is absolutely proof of that. He went from going from a relatively poor skater in his draft year to a very good skater now. Maatta hasn't had a fair shake to work on his skating during the offseason throughout his career because of his injury and health situation. I just hope that he is aware of his poor skating, or that someone brings it to his attention because that's the only thing holding him back.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
It's his skating, which has been poor from the get go. You don't become slower from not playing, you get rusty. As it stands, Olli Maatta is the anti-thesis of the direction this team is headed with being fast.

Maybe give him one more year, if he doesn't turn it up, which he most likely won't because again - it's his skating that is getting him in trouble - then you take what you can get for him. Or if it's that bad, you absolutely leave him open for the expansion draft and get out from that contract.

That's a very good point. Maybe he was a better fit under Johnston because of the slower pace this team had back then. Now that it's all about speed Olli has a harder time adjusting.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
It should have never come to this point, but yeah, as of now Dumoulin´s injury complicates matters. But I would still bench him, he is worse than both Schultz, Pouliot. The worst defenseman out of our 8 defensemen needs to sit, it´s that simple. He brings nothing to the table, only problems. Enough is enough.

He can receive a pass, something Cole seemingly isn't capable of

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Maatta isn't a bust, but his skating is laughably bad. Like, Craig Adams bad.

If he can work on that this summer and at least get it to a level where he's an average skater, he'll be perfectly fine. That's a big if, sure, but I don't think it's unheard of.

His poor decision making and poor positioning all stem from a lack of confidence and ability regarding his skating.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
The knee jerk reactions here are absurd. Yes he is down after everything he went through but his skating will come back as will his confidence... Even if he gets sat this postseason

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The problem is if you sit Olli, you play Pouliot and he's even worse right now.

I didn't want the kid back at all, I think he should be shut down and let him get in shape again.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
They should do what Tampa does.
Go 11F7D.
Limit Maatta's time vs Tampa's top 2 lines.

I'd bench Kunitz but loltheywontdothat.
They'd probably bench Rust or Sheary.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
It's obviously time for him to sit, but for some reason he's held in the same rarified air as Kunitz is.

stouves

Dec 19, 2015
Maata has been a bad skater for his whole career.

He has been slow and made a fool of time and time again. There has been so many times when i've watched him and he gets beaten and deked by 3rd liners.

I vote we sit him for the rest of the playoffs.

Just look at the replay on Killorns goal, are you kidding me? He looks like a 60 year old guy trying to re-live his youth. Schultz should play.

Maata needs a full summer of strength and skating. He should be nowhere near a conference final.

Jackpot Jaret

Oct 22, 2014
You want to give up on a young defenceman that hasn't even hit 22 yet? Do you even understand how development works? Typical HF thread.

Pens17

Aug 3, 2009
You can improve on your skating. One of the guys that smoked us tonight, Drouin, is absolutely proof of that. He went from going from a relatively poor skater in his draft year to a very good skater now. Maatta hasn't had a fair shake to work on his skating during the offseason throughout his career because of his injury and health situation. I just hope that he is aware of his poor skating, or that someone brings it to his attention because that's the only thing holding him back.

No question that improvement is possible. If Olli diligently, dedicatedly, and determinedly works on his issues (pleural) in WBS for a year or so, he potentially becomes serviceable!

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Maatta's clearly still hampered out there. This is not the Maatta we're accustomed to seeing. It's up to Sullivan to take him out of the line-up for Schultz if Dumo's not injured.

YeeYee

Mar 3, 2011
Illinois
His confidence is just as much a problem as his skating right now, Both of those can improve. He needs to sit in the press box right now, but giving up on him completely absolutely not. A confident Maatta at $4mil/year is a steal with how dmen will be getting paid in the coming years.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Part of me think he is playing poorly at the moment since he got hit in the head by Orpik. I think he has a concussion or lingering issues and he isn't quite there. I think he needs to sit for the next game.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Maatta is 22 years old. Jesus, some of you people need to get a grip. Maatta should be healthy scratched for a couple games. Saying he should get traded is downright idiotic and super reactionary.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Kid needs a good off season of training. Get him with a good power skating coach and give him next year. If we are seeing the same thing, we may look into different options.

There's room for frustration right now. Not panic.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
They should do what Tampa does.
Go 11F7D.
Limit Maatta's time vs Tampa's top 2 lines.

I'd bench Kunitz but loltheywontdothat.
They'd probably bench Rust or Sheary.

Maatta just isn't for a series against a fast team. Schultz is much better suited. He shouldn't even be dressed.

You'll gain nothing not being able to run 4 lines deep on this Tampa team.

Kunitz, he's not the reason they lost, and he's the closest thing you have to a banger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad